Carry ammo?

I have never done any reloading so this may be a dumb question!

I have always been told to never carry reloaded ammo(i.e. Freedom munitions), to always carry factory new ammo. What is the difference? They both use assembly lines. I've had factory new ammo screwed up. Just something I had on my mind. Edited by gomer pyle

I have always been told to never carry reloaded ammo(i.e. Freedom munitions), to always carry factory new ammo. What is the difference? They both use assembly lines. I've had factory new ammo screwed up. Just something I had on my mind.

I think the advice has always been not to carry your own personal reloads, not factory reloads.

Don't worry about reloads (your own) or remanufactured (like Freedom Munitions).  Only worry about the performance of your chosen round.  This has been debated back and forth for some time, and some big names make the argument against.  But the fact is that there has never been a legal case where reloads have been an issue.  If its a justified shooting, its a justified shooting.

• Like 1
I've had my own reloads fail to fire, probably due to bad primers. I've had factory target ammo fail to fire and to come apart in my pocket. I've never had any problem with premium carry ammo from Winchester, Remington and Federal. That's why I carry the expensive stuff - my life is worth it.
  • Like 3

I believe the talking point surrounds the idea that in the highly unlikely event you use your firearm in self defense, some ambulance chasing lawyer will try to claim that your personal reloads were somehow "more deadly" than factory ammo.  The idea being that you loading your own defensive ammo might, in some twisted, nonsensical way, be some form of premeditation that some bleeding heart juror might grab on to. 

The arguement was that some prosecutor could try to argue you wanted to kill someone (or a similiar asinine assertion) by carrying hand loads.

That is a load of crap. You can use that arguement for the use of lights, optics, night sights, compensators and what have you.

End of the day is if you are confident in your reloads and they offer the best performance in your EDC then carry them.

However being that you dont reload just carry some premium HD ammo.

I dont care about advanced statistics and data - a .22LR will put someone down with good shot placement.

Personally I reload quite a bit but always carry Hornady Crit Defense rds for my 9mm, 357SIG and 45ACP

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I think the major concerns have been thoughtfully addressed.

I carry factory loads in my semi-auto's...but carry handloads in my J Frame revolver because what I choose for my revolver is no longer manufactured.

If I couldn't get my preferred factory ammo, I wouldn't hesitate to carry handloads that I trust. But that's my decision alone.

Unscrupulous attorneys will do as they always do.  I can articulate why I do what I do and assume that risk.

Handgun rounds are horribly ineffective when compared to rifle or shotgun rounds. So multiple accurate shots are what counts in the final tally. Like comms said...a well placed .22 can kill a person...but there are plenty of examples of all handgun calibers and/or bullets failing. It's just a reality.

My advice is to carry whatever you trust. And practice with it or a reasonable facsimile a lot.

Good Luck and stay safe. We live in "interesting times"...

Edited by prag
  • Like 1

My only concern was about reliability. I hope the day never comes that I have to defend myself but if it ever does, I won't be worried about what some lawyer will say! If it's not about the ammo I used, it will be something else. I have always carried Federal HydraShoks but just got to wondering "why not".

I have always been told to never carry reloaded ammo(i.e. Freedom munitions), to always carry factory new ammo. What is the difference? They both use assembly lines. I've had factory new ammo screwed up. Just something I had on my mind.

Some people have suggested that using hand reloads could be used against you in a self defence trial.  Their concern was the prosecutor could make a big deal about how you created a custom made round that was more deadly to kill not just for self defense.  The facts are no prosecutor has made those claims to date.  The argument is logical enough that if I did reloads I would still buy "self defense" rounds for my carrying.  I mean you might be in 1 self defense shooting in your life you will train / plink 1000's of times in your life.  Buying a few boxes of SD ammo to shoot a few times a year isn't worth taking the tiny change it would introduce.

Thanks

Robert

My only concern was about reliability. I hope the day never comes that I have to defend myself but if it ever does, I won't be worried about what some lawyer will say! If it's not about the ammo I used, it will be something else. I have always carried Federal HydraShoks but just got to wondering "why not".

I think for most of us it has nothing to do with what a lawyer will say and everything to do with performance. Federal Hydra-shoks have been proven performers for nearly 30 years; you couldn’t have a better carry round.

Any round could FTF, but I have never seen it happen with a Hydra-shok. It was the department issued round when I was a cop many years ago and I still use it today. There are some others out there that may perform as well; but I have no reason to switch.

I buy reloads from Freedom munitions; because its proven range ammo, but I wouldn’t carry it. I wouldn’t use reloaded ammo from an individual because I would be concerned about it not firing or damaging my weapon. Reloaders get to experiment with loads, but they are kidding themselves if they think they are more reliable than the top manufacturers of ammo. We see the stories here all the time of mistakes.

If you think seriously about having to have your life depend on your weapon and your ammo performing flawlessly; you probably want the best performance you can afford to buy in both. I know I do.

Obviously great advice all the way around.

I would like to add that once you choose a defensive round, invest in enough of it to insure that particular round functions as flawlessly as possible in your particular handgun of choice.

All firearms have their particularities and idiosyncrasies... I have seen Golden Sabers and Hydrashocks not want to chamber in certain guns while functioning flawlessly in like models. It simply sometimes happens.

I generally purchase my chosen defensive rounds in 500 round lots and run at least 100 rounds through that particular gun to ensure a level of reliability. It's a bit of an investment, but well worth the price imho.

Another thought: At times we chamber and rechamber the top rounds in our magazines. This can be because we have to unload the run for various reasons....cleaning, changing out for practice mags/rounds and then rechambering our carry ammo and I'm certain many other examples exist. There is the potential for a bullet setback to occur in this process and could potentially lead to a pressure spike or variation at the least. I make it a habit to shoot a mag or two of my carry ammo at least once a year. This will ensure I have "fresh" carry ammo in my handgun, as well as help me to verify my point of aim/point of impact remains as where I think it should be.

When I carried a 45 acp I carried Hydrashocks as well. I've seen at least 2 individuals shot with them and they performed just as advertised...not so much so in the 9mm shootings I've seen with them...

I currently carry 124 gr Gold Dot plus P Black Hills in my 9mm's...but there are many quality self defense rounds available. Just pick one that give you as close to 100% reliability as possible...and hit the range...better yet...go to a quality class and give some of them a try. Win-Win imho.

:2cents:

Edited by prag
  • Like 2

Maybe I missed it but most factory ammo has sealed primer & bullets preventing moisture from getting into the power /primer.

Most of the factory ammo I have seen does not have sealed primers, only NATO rounds have I seen do that.  Its because soldiers can be in any climate, including submerged in H2O.  But most rounds can withstand moisture due to the tight fit of the bullet and primer.

I think for most of us it has nothing to do with what a lawyer will say and everything to do with performance. Federal Hydra-shoks have been proven performers for nearly 30 years; you couldn’t have a better carry round.

Any round could FTF, but I have never seen it happen with a Hydra-shok. It was the department issued round when I was a cop many years ago and I still use it today. There are some others out there that may perform as well; but I have no reason to switch.

I buy reloads from Freedom munitions; because its proven range ammo, but I wouldn’t carry it. I wouldn’t use reloaded ammo from an individual because I would be concerned about it not firing or damaging my weapon. Reloaders get to experiment with loads, but they are kidding themselves if they think they are more reliable than the top manufacturers of ammo. We see the stories here all the time of mistakes.

If you think seriously about having to have your life depend on your weapon and your ammo performing flawlessly; you probably want the best performance you can afford to buy in both. I know I do.

I have to disagree a little bit here, I will put any of my ammo against any factory ammo.  I bet I have fewer QC issues than any factory out there, there have been many reports of faulty ammo from just about every ammo company out there.  And if I ever do make a mistake, at least its my mistake which then I have to deal with the consequences.  I have had factory ammo come with upside down primers, no primers, and damaged brass (box was not damaged); luckily I was at the range when I discovered these rounds and not in an SD situation.

For my SD reloads I measure each charge and check each round to make sure it meets the specifications for that round, I also give my SD ammo a slight crimp to prevent setback and give it better moisture resistance.  My range ammo gets reloaded using a powder measure, and can vary slightly, but no more than .1 or .2 grains.  Now, having said all this, I do not sell my reloads, nor do I give it away, and like you would be reluctant to use anyone else's reloads because I do not know their QC measures.  I have allowed my friends to use my reloads when at the range, but I have let them know that they are reloads and some have even reloaded using my equipment. 

• Like 2
From what I remember in an article from a long time ago it was more about with factory ammo you could recreate the scene easier and be able to verify your accounts of what happen. Say I said he was 7 feet ago when I fired, with factory ammo they could recreate test and retest to see how that ammo would penetrate at that distance. With a reload they assume consistency couldn't be recreated.

I've been reloading rifle & pistil for over 45 yrs. The only FTF I've ever had was a 30-06 Winchester factory round.

My carry round in 40S&W and 9mm is Federal Premium LEO Tactical, that was our duty round when I was LEO.

Still got 'em, why stop using them,. Works for me.  Comes down to preferences & opinions, we know how that goes.