4WD QUIT WORKING

Ramjo

I have a 1985 k10 silverado that the 4wd has stopped working. I've concluded that it's the automatic locking hubs for some reason or another. Anyone ever repair/un stick their auto hubs? I could put some warn manual lockers on it and be done with it, but you just don't see many 80s trucks with auto hubs.

85 is still a solid axle and should be a manual transfer case. So that's about all it could be. Or a broken shifter or transfer case. I would get a set of manual hubs before trying to repair the auto hubs Edited by Superman
  • Like 1

85 is still a solid axle and should be a manual transfer case. So that's about all it could be. Or a broken shifter or transfer case. I would get a set of manual hubs before trying to repair the auto hubs

Yeah I've been looking at the videos on the swap and I've thought about the pros/cons of manuals. I put it in 4wd and that locked the front drive shaft so it's got to be the hubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did this just happen all at once?

Honestly I can't know for sure when it actually quit working because last year my transmission went out and so I didn't drive it in the snow...or much at all for that matter.

I haven't had a truck that I could put manual hubs on in some time but I used to always swap them out for manuals because I always had problems with the automatic hubs.  Sometimes a good cleaning and greasing would fix it when they wouldn't engage. 

• Like 1

i'm not sure which front axel you have but if it sounds like the acuator quit working that locks the axels together. Mine quit working last year and i swaped it out for a maual cable from these folks and it seems to work quite well. http://4x4posi-lok.com/app_chevy-k.html

Actuator? This ain't a push button it's got an actual stick you pull.

Did who connect it?

When your transmission went out, did they put the front driveshaft on?  Don't laugh, I had a buddy who had his 4x4 Nissan worked on, they completely left the front driveshaft off.  He didn't realize it for some time until he attempted to put it in 4wheel drive.

When your transmission went out, did they put the front driveshaft on? Don't laugh, I had a buddy who had his 4x4 Nissan worked on, they completely left the front driveshaft off. He didn't realize it for some time until he attempted to put it in 4wheel drive.

Haha yeah it's there. That's how I tested to see if it was locking in with the transfer case, which it does, so that left the hub lockers.

Not sure if the GM and Toyota are the same or similar type, but 25+ years ago, my Toyota 4x4 quit working.  As I recall, it was the spring and a lot of grime in the hubs.  Little cleaning, and swapping out parts, and good as new.   I use to run with my hubs locked at all times, many of times back then didn't want to get out in the mud or other conditions to lock those things.

Actuator? This ain't a push button it's got an actual stick you pull.

Right, but on some of the dana axels there is a slip collar that joins the two axel shafts together and it has a vacuum acuator that moves the collar into position.

unless you don't have a dana axel it has been a long time since i worked on an older chevy.

I don't think this truck would have a split axle. 

As far as the hubs goes, if its been a while since they were used, in my experience, they're probably just stuck from grime in the hubs.  I would pull them off, clean and lubricate them, stick them back on, and if still no go, it'd be time for some manual hubs.

• Like 1

I spoke to my son this morning about your issue. He suggested a good cleaning and repacking of the front hubs should fix your problem. He also added that with the first cold weather here that could cause the old grease to not allow the hubs to engage. He also suggested that a few times a year during even the warmer months for you ti engage your 4X4 units for about a mile to help keep them lubricated for the times when you do need them...........Hope this helps............. :up:

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and bought a set of Mile Marker lockers. If I get into the autos and nothing is broken, I might consider trying to just clean them and keep trucking, but most likely I'll just swap them out and save the original lockers in the box.

Ok, now I have a question about this. I had a K5 79 Blazer back in the mid 80's and when I went to the manual lock outs from full time I also had to replace a slide unit in the transfer case to make it work. Is that not required on the newer models with full time units when you convert to Manual lock out hubs?................... :dunno:

Ok, now I have a question about this. I had a K5 79 Blazer back in the mid 80's and when I went to the manual lock outs from full time I also had to replace a slide unit in the transfer case to make it work. Is that not required on the newer models with full time units when you convert to Manual lock out hubs?................... :dunno:

It has been a while since I messed with the older four wheel drives, but if I remember correctly, some of the np203 transfercases, which came in the 1/2 ton trucks, were full time four wheel drive with the option to lock them into a more traditional four wheel drive mode.  Just like an open differential, if there was nothing but slip from the front axle, all the power would go to the front with the hubs unlocked.  To make the locking hubs work on these, you had to get rid of the full time four wheel drive. 

My memory is a little hazy on all that stuff, but I think that is the gist of it. 

It has been a while since I messed with the older four wheel drives, but if I remember correctly, some of the np203 transfercases, which came in the 1/2 ton trucks, were full time four wheel drive with the option to lock them into a more traditional four wheel drive mode. Just like an open differential, if there was nothing but slip from the front axle, all the power would go to the front with the hubs unlocked. To make the locking hubs work on these, you had to get rid of the full time four wheel drive.

My memory is a little hazy on all that stuff, but I think that is the gist of it.

No sir this truck has 2H 4H and 4L