Equipment Review - Portable Buddy by Mr Heater

Last year during hunting season I froze, I had an original Mr Heater Heater which worked OK but it sounds like a little jet engine and uses too much gas.  You also pretty much have to be right next to it to get any heat.

k2-_eceb6851-e7a3-4b47-9bc8-49fde587f210

So before hunting season I decided I needed an upgrade, I looked at the upgraded single burner Little Buddy and the Portable Buddy and decided on the bigger one due to btu ranges.  

f215120.jpg

f232000.jpg

Well, this whole season I really didn't need it as temps were pretty much bearable...until today.  With temp at 34 degrees at noon I decided to test it out.

First thing I noticed was how quiet it is, even with my hearing amplified headset its barely noticeable.  The unit gives off some decent heat:  the blind is 8x8x7 with non insulated 3/4" OSB walls or roof though on the floor I have those mats that lock together and the roof has tar paper and roofing tiles.  The windows are single pane 1/8" plexiglass, closed of course.  Been running on low for one hour, outdoor temp says 36, indoor reads 57 deg.  The only thing that gives me pause, and that's with both, is the propane smell, not sure how that will effect the deer, I don't think it will be an issue since I got deer last year with the other one running but that may of been a fluke or the wind was in my favor.

I'll update this as I find any other things that come up such as how long this cylinder lasts.  This might be my last day hunting so it may be next season for any more pros and cons.

Edit: 1640, outside temp 37 inside 58 degrees. Cylinder is frosted to about halfway up, but no sign of running out yet.  Says it will get 6 hours on low, might be about right.

Edited by Omega
  • Like 1

I hope you have some source of combustion air for that heater, even though it's supposed to shut itself off when it detects insufficient oxygen.  I wouldn't trust my life to something a heater is supposed to do.

• Like 2

I've had one of these for a few years and I really like it for use as a supplemental/emergency heat source.  I bought the adapter hose that allows you to run it off of a large LP tank, and I think that is well worth the money.  Like you said, it is quiet and puts out some nice heat.

• Like 1

I hope you have some source of combustion air for that heater, even though it's supposed to shut itself off when it detects insufficient oxygen.  I wouldn't trust my life to something a heater is supposed to do.

There is no way this blind can hold any heavy or light gas.  I can see light through the roof's leading and trailing edge and in parts of the floor, plus its a trap door entrance.  But that is a very good point, I would not recommend this for trailer or tents that are more air tight without a co2 alarm.  I got an alarm for my portable trailer for this exact reason, it has a propane heater built-in.

I use a kerosene heater in my metal building.  It's a little cheaper to run than propane.

You may want to reconsider your math on this.  Propane puts out 92,500/btu per gallon and currently running $2.20/gallon, K1 puts out 135,000 btu's per gallon but is running $3.30+.  

Omega . You cant go wrong with the Buddy heater.

Here's my duck hunting rig. After reading this, I had to see if mine still worked so went to the gagage and fired it up. image.jpg1_zpsjdfzrfww.jpg

I considered getting that hose but many of the posts I read about the setup said it required the filter.  I have one of those refill valves to refill the 1lb cylinders with the 20lb so no need to keep buying those expensive 1lb cylinders.  I also got the carrying case with it, it lets me have 3 1lb cylinders which is well above what I need for one full day.  If next year turns out to be a colder hunting season it will let me give it a full workout so may resort to that setup if I have issues as is.

I have 2 of the Big Buddy heaters and love 'em.

A couple of winters ago we hit zero minus degrees and it overwhelmed the power system in the Knoxville area in the middle of the night. It was nice to fire one up in the living room, fire one up in the garage (keep my water pipes from freezing up) and put a pot of coffee on to brew on my propane stove.

The Big Buddy's put out a good deal of heat. I wouldn't mind one of the smaller units, but will definitely hang on to the 2 I have.

I have the "Big Buddy" dual burner. I love this heater. I mostly run it off a 20# tank. I don't know how long it burns on that tank but it's at least 28 or 30 hours. I have a huge tent (12 person) and I've used it in there on a 30° night last fall. I put it on a block so it's not on the floor and I peeled open the rain fly a bit for venting. I also have a battery powered carbon monoxide alarm I use when the heater is on. Keeps it toasty.

good review.  I have a heater head like the top image.  I take it duck hunting.  I'd like something a little more powerful but one that I can fit into a blind bag or backpack.  I'll take a look at the buddy heater.   

The bag I got packs well, I got it at Rural King but mine doesn't have that large red stripe.

http://www.ruralking.com/portable-buddy-heater-carry-bag.html?fee=2&fep=117177&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KEQiAzai0BRCs2Yydo8yptuIBEiQAN3_lFrgsgRetR9HDj9YxIB_7GWfODHxz9THIIxLGJNP4fhQaAlkP8P8HAQ

mr._heater_portable_buddy_heater_carry_b

• Like 1

I considered getting that hose but many of the posts I read about the setup said it required the filter.  I have one of those refill valves to refill the 1lb cylinders with the 20lb so no need to keep buying those expensive 1lb cylinders.  I also got the carrying case with it, it lets me have 3 1lb cylinders which is well above what I need for one full day.  If next year turns out to be a colder hunting season it will let me give it a full workout so may resort to that setup if I have issues as is.

Refill valve?   :squint:

Google has educated me, added to Amazon wish list.  :up:

• Like 1

Refill valve?   :squint:

Google has educated me, added to Amazon wish list.  :up:

Seen these at Walmart as well as Rural King and even Harbor Freight check pricing to get the best deal.  Not much to them just threaded to mate to both cylinders.  It's not hard but there is a trick to it.  First screw in the filler valve onto the 20lb cylinder, then turn the 20lb upside down,  then screw in the 1lb cylinder (some say chill the 1lb first) then open the 20lb's valve and fill until it stops flowing then shut off the 20lb's valve and unscrew the 1lb cylinder.  Have a set of needle nose pliers handy to jiggle the 1lb cylinder's needle valve if necessary. 

k2-_0477d7b0-efad-4320-ba14-5bd7b45dc314

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Enerco-Mr-Heater-F276172-Propane-Tank-Refill-Adapter/21799898

• Like 4

Another +1 for the Buddy systems.  I use both the 1 pound bottles (I refill also) as well as a tree on the 20 pounders so I can run the propane lamp on top and the heater off the bottom of the tree.

It will heat up the 12x12 bedroom of the hunting cabin in minutes to bearable and run for several nights off the 20 pounder.  I keep it and all the lighting and cooking gear in one plastic tool box to just throw in the bed of the truck and off ya go.

Get ya one folks.

• Like 1

Seen these at Walmart as well as Rural King and even Harbor Freight check pricing to get the best deal.  Not much to them just threaded to mate to both cylinders.  It's not hard but there is a trick to it.  First screw in the filler valve onto the 20lb cylinder, then turn the 20lb upside down,  then screw in the 1lb cylinder (some say chill the 1lb first) then open the 20lb's valve and fill until it stops flowing then shut off the 20lb's valve and unscrew the 1lb cylinder.  Have a set of needle nose pliers handy to jiggle the 1lb cylinder's needle valve if necessary. 

k2-_0477d7b0-efad-4320-ba14-5bd7b45dc314

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Enerco-Mr-Heater-F276172-Propane-Tank-Refill-Adapter/21799898

Another trick is put your 1 pounders in the freezer for 15 or 20 minutes and get them really cold so there is higher pressure in the 20 flowing to the 1 pound bottle

• 4 weeks later...

Last year during hunting season I froze, I had an original Mr Heater Heater which worked OK but it sounds like a little jet engine and uses too much gas.  You also pretty much have to be right next to it to get any heat.

k2-_eceb6851-e7a3-4b47-9bc8-49fde587f210

So before hunting season I decided I needed an upgrade, I looked at the upgraded single burner Little Buddy and the Portable Buddy and decided on the bigger one due to btu ranges.  

f215120.jpg

f232000.jpg

Well, this whole season I really didn't need it as temps were pretty much bearable...until today.  With temp at 34 degrees at noon I decided to test it out.

First thing I noticed was how quiet it is, even with my hearing amplified headset its barely noticeable.  The unit gives off some decent heat:  the blind is 8x8x7 with non insulated 3/4" OSB walls or roof though on the floor I have those mats that lock together and the roof has tar paper and roofing tiles.  The windows are single pane 1/8" plexiglass, closed of course.  Been running on low for one hour, outdoor temp says 36, indoor reads 57 deg.  The only thing that gives me pause, and that's with both, is the propane smell, not sure how that will effect the deer, I don't think it will be an issue since I got deer last year with the other one running but that may of been a fluke or the wind was in my favor.

I'll update this as I find any other things that come up such as how long this cylinder lasts.  This might be my last day hunting so it may be next season for any more pros and cons.

Edit: 1640, outside temp 37 inside 58 degrees. Cylinder is frosted to about halfway up, but no sign of running out yet.  Says it will get 6 hours on low, might be about right.

My wife has one similar to the bottom model. She takes it to baseball games, and is very popular when she has it in the stands. :)

My only gripe with it is that the pilot light will not stay lit in a strong wind. Other than that, it's awesome.