First SBR - MP5

Sam1

Bait and switch alert!

Nothing yet but the stock.  Gun arrives next week, Zenith MKE Z-5RS.  HKparts stock came in today so thought I would put a teaser up.  Wanted this specific setup since I was a kid, would prefer an auto, but no bueno on that much $.  Will have a can on it as well, but want to get the pistol in hand before deciding on a model.

Step 1. Stock

20160106_162053.jpg

Step 2. Pistol

20160112_165557.jpg

Step 3. Waste ammo (skipped this step - mp5 pistol is about useless)

Step 4. Form 1 - submitted approved

Step 4a. Waste ammo - successful

20160430_124737.jpg

That was rapid firing two mags (mixed cheap ammo to see how it functions - this thing chews up aluminum case stuff, there will be no more of it) at 25 yards, standing with the iron sights (no adjustments made from the box).  Rear sight is hard to get used to, it sits too low.  Another issue was that it's strange holding the front hand guard, much more accurate if you hold it by the front of the mag well/mag.  Probably going to go with optics on it even though I said I wouldn't.

Step 5. Can & paperwork done Silencerco Hybrid :) , paperwork filed.

Step 6. Waste ammo (need to order adapters and then will be able to fire it at the range, it came configured for .308)

Step 7. Enjoy 

Edited by Sam1
  • Like 6

Congrats!

I'm still on the fence for my subgun build. It's between an MP5 and an MPX (both SBR'ed and suppressed). I hear the MP5 blows more crap in your face when suppressed, while the MPX doesn't. But you can't beat the looks of an MP5. Such a classic!

You sure you want to have that stock sitting around next to the only firearm it could go onto before your Form 1 comes back with a stamp on it? 

I'd find a friend to keep it on the top shelf of their closet for you.  But I'm paranoid about things like that.

Not even worried, the factory backplate on the pistol will not be touched until everything is done. Being 15 years into a retirement that requires a security clearance subdues any desire to play silly games.
  • Like 1

Not even worried, the factory backplate on the pistol will not be touched until everything is done. Being 15 years into a retirement that requires a security clearance subdues any desire to play silly games.

You really sure?

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/if-person-has-pistol-and-attachable-shoulder-stock-does-constitute-possession-nfa

Edited by btq96r
Ah thank you, didn't know it was illegal to have both, thought they had to be attached. Will have someone hold onto it until everything is done.

Good thing my ignorance brought up the topic. Edited by Sam1
  • Like 1

Ah thank you, didn't know it was illegal to have both, thought they had to be attached. Will have someone hold onto it until everything is done.

Good thing my ignorance brought up the topic.

There isn't an exact science to it, and it's really up to the potential ATF agents that come knocking at your door to make the call on constrictive intent and constructive possession.  Most people do SBR's with the AR, so they can get around it with enough wiggle room if they have different uppers >16" around.  But since you're putting together an MP5 SBR with the pistol you have en route your case is pretty singular, so why not play it safe?  That's what I did with my 10.5" AR upper while I only had one AR lower I was waiting to get a Form 1 approved on.  Getting it back was like getting it again for the 1st time.

Im not a lawyer or a horse hairstylist but there has never been a case of someone getting bagged for constructive possession.

IMHO the ATF probably doesnt care you are getting the components ahead of time...

But thats my opinion and is worth exactly what you paid for it

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Im not a lawyer or a horse hairstylist but there has never been a case of someone getting bagged for constructive possession.

But thats my opinion and is worth exactly what you paid for it

Google: Gerald Drasen, Anthony Aleo, Cynthia Aleo, or Abert Kwok-Leung Kwan. Read a few of the case notes and you'd be surprised the lengths the ATF will go to to pop you for constructive possession in some cases. That said, I have seen one in FL overturned though I haven't found documentation as to why. . .(Jesus Amador)

source- http://wa.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.20110622_0001456.WWA.htm/qx

source- http://www.titleii.com/bardwell/us_v_drasen.txt

Even though Mr. Amador's case was dropped it still isn't too fun having this pop up if someone googles your name and you're a law abiding citizen.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/11011154/man-accused-of-trying-to-sell-illegal-weapon

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/crime/craigs-list-crime-naples-man-charged-with-trying-to-sell-short-barreled-rifle-ep-397076593-343746452.html

Google: Gerald Drasen, Anthony Aleo, Cynthia Aleo, or Abert Kwok-Leung Kwan. Read a few of the case notes and you'd be surprised the lengths the ATF will go to to pop you for constructive possession in some cases. That said, I have seen one in FL overturned though I haven't found documentation as to why. . .(Jesus Amador)

source- http://wa.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.20110622_0001456.WWA.htm/qx

source- http://www.titleii.com/bardwell/us_v_drasen.txt

Even though Mr. Amador's case was dropped it still isn't too fun having this pop up if someone googles your name and you're a law abiding citizen.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/11011154/man-accused-of-trying-to-sell-illegal-weapon

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/crime/craigs-list-crime-naples-man-charged-with-trying-to-sell-short-barreled-rifle-ep-397076593-343746452.html

I was talking about someone being charged and convicted of merely having a stock they could affix to a "pistol" form of a weapon that is awaiting a Form 1.

In the Drasen case those knuckle heads were selling SBR Kits - no way around that, it wasnt someone bought a pistol kit and then was sold a stock, they were trying to get around the "readily assembled" part

In Alberts cases the impetus of his charges was a M14 that turned out to be a built off a MG receiver, a 3rd burst HK VP model that shared the same frame as another semi VP that could interchange the mauser style stock...again that isnt constructive possession it was a BS charged the DA brought on

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

As mentioned previously, my work is very important to me and every 5 years the investigation is re-conducted.  Even if only charged with something like that, (don't have to be convicted) they can pull my clearance and I can lose the job.  The stock is going next door until everything is approved.

When you told me about this the other night it did not click in my head till i saw the pictures on here now thanks to you I have two more things on my list in 3 days dangit man

it's the sickness man, not our fault.

You really sure?
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/if-person-has-pistol-and-attachable-shoulder-stock-does-constitute-possession-nfa

Correct to an extent, but typical with ATF culture of obfuscation, incomplete.

There isn't an exact science to it, and it's really up to the potential ATF agents that come knocking at your door to make the call on constrictive intent and constructive possession.  Most people do SBR's with the AR, so they can get around it with enough wiggle room if they have different uppers >16" around.  But since you're putting together an MP5 SBR with the pistol you have en route your case is pretty singular, so why not play it safe?  That's what I did with my 10.5" AR upper while I only had one AR lower I was waiting to get a Form 1 approved on.  Getting it back was like getting it again for the 1st time.

Yep, more like it:

".. an NFA firearm is made if aggregated parts are in close proximity such that they ... serve no useful purpose other than to make an NFA
firearm (e.g., a receiver, an attachable shoulder stock, and a short barrel)..."

Since that stock would presumably have no legal purpose among all the rest of your inventory, but only a clearly illegal one, it would fit the bill in the unlikely event you were under the radar and push came to shove.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I guess my first step in avoiding a visit by the ATF is NOT to post it on any site anywhere,lol.

But I'm just a nobody in nowhereland....and I intend to remain there :)

No biggie - stock is out of my possession and the gun is delivered tomorrow! now on to the mess with a decision on the can.

• 3 months later...

suppressor is in the vault at the range.  It's ready for the AR10, but need to get some parts to put it on the MP5.  I may shoot it before the paperwork comes back, but not sure.  Wasn't in a huge rush to have one, just to have it filed before 43p hits.