Const. Carry Bill brought up today

Here's some states that have carry without a permit.

Idaho, Montana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Vermont, Wyoming, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Oklahoma.

If there were a problem with that in any of those states I guarantee you the main stream media would be all over it saying, see, we told you so. Obviously there's been no problems with it.

There are no major problems. This is all about...

A. Politicians trying to convince idiots that they are able to protect them

B. Revenue.

Funny thing... the politicians make us jump as high as the rest. 

• Like 2

How about this list of states, which allow open carry without a permit: KY, MO, AR, LA, MS, AL, NC, VA

Only 1 state that we touch requires you to have a permit to carry a handgun in some form or fashion, GA and of course TN.

KY, AR, MS, VA, and NC are considered 'gold star' states, they don't seem to have any problems with 'untested' people carrying firearms, why do we think our citizens are so much different from theirs?

Here's some states that have carry without a permit.

Idaho, Montana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Vermont, Wyoming, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Oklahoma.

If there were a problem with that in any of those states I guarantee you the main stream media would be all over it saying, see, we told you so. Obviously there's been no problems with it.

• Like 3

That bill unfortunately will not make it past committee for a floor vote.  Better to spend effort on something that can be voted on the floor and actually help people with handgun carry permits.

Not so sure about that.  For one, I don't believe Green would carry it if it were foregone that it is dead outta the gate - he has too much invested in an upcoming run at the Gov's chair play those games this session.  If this one were just "do it 'cause the ___ (fill in your favorite gun right's org) wants to keep it in the forefront", you'd see someone with less on the line carrying it this time out.  Which then turns the onus upon the House - which has been the black hole for things 2A of late.  Much of that can be attributed to Beth's juxtaposing her head deeply in Bill's colon - but of late, she has been making efforts to extricate herself, as she too envisions sitting in his chair.  I suspect she may call off her dogs in CJ Sub and Fnce to perhaps gain political capital with an increasingly hard-to-control House floor - capital she'll need for other even more thorny battles to come this year.

JMO.  Optimistic - perhaps.  Hoping to see a slight shift in the prevailing winds over Middle TN?  Most certainly.  Actually trusting any of the people mentioned above?  Hell no - but I DO trust their motivations, as greedy and self-serving as they may be...

So much fail, it's hard to know where to start. Imagine if a test were required before one could exercise their right as a citizen to vote or as a human being to peacefully assemble. Wait, that's been tried before (you get the point).

It's doesn't matter what you "feel" about it or who you "trust". You don't get to decide for anyone else... it's called freedom and it can be scary at times. Living in a zoo is much safer but the lions don't look too happy in the cages. Maybe you would like it? No one else can protect you, you might even fail yourself but at least you can try. Anyone who promises to protect you is either a fool or thinks you are.

The 1st Amendment protects your right to criticize the government, not to say stupid things in public and go unchallenged. Just because it's your opinion doesn't mean it's not ignorant. Luckily, ignorance is a choice. You get to decide whether you stay that way or not.

Take a civics class and get back to me.

• Like 5
Like I posted on the TFA FB group when this came up.

I feel so long as we get to keep our permits for the Reciprocity other states have with us, I'm OK with it.

The Constitutional part is just a way of being to carry nearly everywhere legally from what I understand (just jails, courtrooms, etc., off limits still), and I'm all for that.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on where all we'd be able to carry with constitutional carry because it's been a while since I read and discussed this topic.
  • Like 1

I guess I am confused.  I understand the bill of rights limits the government not the people / states.  Let's have a nice discussion about it.    

"...in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers..."  The framers said we need the bill or rights to prevent abuse not by the people, but by the government.  Criminals already carry their guns, knives, bats, and whatever else they see fit.  They do so without fees, permits, or required training.  Why shouldn't we do the same?  Is the problem that we have a rash of accidental and / or negligent discharges?  

"...shall not be infringed..." is simple and I don't believe we need to discuss that part.  Although maybe we should.  

"...are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people..." says we, the people / states, tell the federal government what it can do in every other thing not mentioned.  We should be working hard every year to get closer to that point.  I'd say that bill is a step in the wrong direction because in effect it asks the federal government for permission.    

I would appreciate your comments or rebuttals on these points.  

Well I don't have much confidence full Constitutional carry will pass, still not an excuse not to write your reps and support it though. Seems like they throw us a bone every year, it's a shame really to throw the people a bone to retrieve a Constitutional right they already have. Also we need to push removing the criminal charge of carrying past a sign, just make it a trespassing charge if you don't leave which protects private property rights. 

Something will get passed this year and we will hear the usual gunfights in the streets nonsense, a few weeks go by and it's forgotten about.

I'd rather they fight to get a bill passed for proper classes and permits for first amendment rights too... I don't like a lot of what people have to say, and think some don't know much about their religions and all kinds of things that should be proven before they are allowed their rights.  It doesn't matter if its a right, we should limit it just to be on the safe side.

• Like 5

I'd rather they fight to get a bill passed for proper classes and permits for first amendment rights too... I don't like a lot of what people have to say, and think some don't know much about their religions and all kinds of things that should be proven before they are allowed their rights.  It doesn't matter if its a right, we should limit it just to be on the safe side.

I get my feelings hurt every time someone calls me "gun nut" or "inbred redneck" I feel like I need a safe space where I can just be myself. I really think the government should give guns ammo and range time to people like me.
  • Like 2

Ya know speech and religion starts/instigates more violence and wars than most anything else. Yo mama has a big butt, No, Yo mama has B.O. Fight starts. Muhammad told us that if you didn't follow him and his teachings we should kill you. Yep, to curb violence and deaths put heavy restrictions on the 1st Amendment. How would that go over with the liberal crowd?

I get my feelings hurt every time someone calls me "gun nut" or "inbred redneck" I feel like I need a safe space where I can just be myself. I really think the government should give guns ammo and range time to people like me.

You need to correct them and say you are a gun enthusiast. It sounds so much less imposing. I too think the gov't should give us guns and ammo, they give them to everyone else that hasn't even paid any taxes!!

I have written my state representative and senator and ask that they support this issue.

EDIT:  My senator "Mae Beavers" was added to the list of sponsors today.

I need to get my email off to Littleton and Roberts, thanks for reminding me. I need to brew a cup of coffee first, I can write a better email on a caffeine buzz.  :)

How about suggesting an amendment to the bill or separate bill that would strengthen enforcement and penalties for criminals who are in possession of a firearm, and increase the penalties for committing a felony crime using or possessing a firearm? With an amendment like that it would make those who oppose Constitutional carry for law abiding citizens seem like they are not sincere about reducing crime, only concerned about the politics of their liberal anti-gun ideals.

• 2 weeks later...

This may be a little off the subject, but I want to know what you guys think. Say the government were to propose allowing anyone in the U.S. that is 16 years old drive a car without having to pass a drivers test of any kind, would you support that. Why or why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) Driving a car is not a right it actually is a privilege.

2) I know several people who drove on their own property way before they were 16 and way before they have a license it isn't illegal to drive on your own property with or without a license.  Driving on a public roads is considered a privilege.  

According to the Bill of Rights of the United State of America owning and carrying a gun is a Right.  The courts have decided wrongly in my opinion that some rights can be voided for certain reasons.

1) Driving a car is not a right it actually is a privilege.

2) I know several people who drove on their own property way before they were 16 and way before they have a license it isn't illegal to drive on your own property with or without a license.  Driving on a public roads is considered a privilege.  

According to the Bill of Rights of the United State of America owning and carrying a gun is a Right.  The courts have decided wrongly in my opinion that some rights can be voided for certain reasons.

Not just that... but driving a car is MUCH MUCH more dangerous than having a gun.

The irony of the bill is that democrats will say "states rights" as not supporting it yet they seem to think states rights were wrong when it came to marriage or voting issues. The surpreme court has even held voter id to be ok yet dems fight it every way they can because they need ever loser with no ambition waiting for their check to vote.

In theory it should pass, but Tester ( MT) McKaskill (MO), and a couple other democrats who should support it will not. We can only hope the people of those states don't want the country to go to losers and the dogs and vote the bums out next time. If it were to pass I would be shocked if Obama did not veto it.

I know some people have discussed a "compromise" ( don't do that with liberals. Give an inch they want a mile) where we go to universal background checks and get universal carry. For that to work though states  like New Jersey and Maryland and some counties in CA would have to get much more with it. I am not sure how I feel about compromising there. I don't believe we should have to compromise on a right. I would say maybe come up with a federal endorsement to your permit from your state ( say $20 per 5 years) that says as long as you meet any training requirements a state has you can carry there.

The irony of the bill is that democrats will say "states rights" as not supporting it yet they seem to think states rights were wrong when it came to marriage or voting issues. The surpreme court has even held voter id to be ok yet dems fight it every way they can because they need ever loser with no ambition waiting for their check to vote.

In theory it should pass, but Tester ( MT) McKaskill (MO), and a couple other democrats who should support it will not. We can only hope the people of those states don't want the country to go to losers and the dogs and vote the bums out next time. If it were to pass I would be shocked if Obama did not veto it.

I know some people have discussed a "compromise" ( don't do that with liberals. Give an inch they want a mile) where we go to universal background checks and get universal carry. For that to work though states  like New Jersey and Maryland and some counties in CA would have to get much more with it. I am not sure how I feel about compromising there. I don't believe we should have to compromise on a right. I would say maybe come up with a federal endorsement to your permit from your state ( say $20 per 5 years) that says as long as you meet any training requirements a state has you can carry there.

What are you talking about? Has a federal bill of some sort been introduced? Thread is about TN (and now MI) legislation.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1