New rimfire benchrest opportunity in middle Tennessee

New rimfire benchrest opportunity in middle Tennessee.

If anyone is interested in a weekday match, we can have one at Strategic Edge.

Strategic Edge is primarily a long range(1250yds) and handgun range.

But, they've just added more benches and 50 yard target frames for us rimfire folk.

Tony has given me permission to set up a weekday match to see if there is much interest in rimfire benchrest.

To begin, we could temporarily use ARA's targets (because I have a hundred) and scoring.

But, if sufficient people are interested we can choose a match format and organize.

If you are interested, PM me.  If you have general questions, post them here and I'll answer as best I can.

Strategic Edge is a beautiful range near Chapel Hill, Tn.  Takes me about 55 minutes from Mount Juliet.

Regis

• Like 2

I am in.   I had also talked to Tony a bit about this.  

I just had a new gun built for ARA specifically, so anything I can do to help, just let me know.  If all goes well, I can talk to Dan Killough about being a sanctioned match.

I am in.   I had also talked to Tony a bit about this.  

I just had a new gun built for ARA specifically, so anything I can do to help, just let me know.  If all goes well, I can talk to Dan Killough about being a sanctioned match.

Great but, we do need a few more folks.  At least we've got some 50 yard frames to use now.  I know that I will be looking for ARA matches in reasonable driving distance.  I used to shoot ARA & PSL but, gave up my Pappas and Bill Myers custom Suhl when we move up here and couldn't find anywhere to practice.  Never made it above 65 in PSL but, loved to shoot and all the great people (both ARA & PSL).

I'm having one built now but, a little lighter so, I'll have to wait ad see how it performs.

Regis

Understood and agree.  I am just glad to have someone else interested as well locally.

My new build: http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/93664-its-here-my-2500x-is-done-finally/

Very nice. Actually, a beauty!  You'll enjoy that one.  Did you have Dan do the test lots or is that your tests?  Is that Harrell tuner?  Need much weight?  I still have one of my old ones that I'll have to get machined.

Wind, wind, and wind.  I'll have to get back up reading them flags.

Regis

Dan did the testing and the tuning so I don't even know how much weight it has.  I just got it 3 weeks ago and haven't had a chance to do any shooting with it yet.  Hopefully in the coming weeks.  I have some Ezell windflags that should show up this week and I already have a windicator, so I hope I am about done with purchases.  Now I just need practice as you mention.

New rimfire benchrest opportunity in middle Tennessee.

If anyone is interested in a weekday match, we can have one at Strategic Edge.

Strategic Edge is primarily a long range(1250yds) and handgun range.

But, they've just added more benches and 50 yard target frames for us rimfire folk.

Tony has given me permission to set up a weekday match to see if there is much interest in rimfire benchrest.

To begin, we could temporarily use ARA's targets (because I have a hundred) and scoring.

But, if sufficient people are interested we can choose a match format and organize.

If you are interested, PM me.  If you have general questions, post them here and I'll answer as best I can.

Strategic Edge is a beautiful range near Chapel Hill, Tn.  Takes me about 55 minutes from Mount Juliet.

Regis

Weekday is gona be a no go for me, I still work 40 plus a week.

Basically, 4 classes at 50 yards, timed.  Unlimited is most common.  Target with 25 shots and some sighters.  Scoring is based on which ring you are in.  2500 is best score.

Probably easier to link to the ARA website. PSL is very similar.  http://www.americanrimfire.com/

Full list of rules here: http://www.americanrimfire.com/media/rules/ARA-2015.pdf

ARA Target:

ara_target-2010-1.jpg

Edited by Hozzie

Please explain how this game plays. Different classes? Yardage? Timed fire? Inquiring minds want to know!

Hozzie highlighted it pretty well.   At local level like this it gives an opportunity for folk to find out how much they like benchrest before investing too much money.  You need sturdy rest, separate front and rear rest to begin with.  As good a bolt action .22lr rifle as you can put your hands on and ammo that it likes.  Also, the higher power your scope the better (most common is fixed Weaver 36x40).  You can bet there will be a couple folks show up with some first class outfits costing, perhaps, in the thousands. And, that is great because it improves everyone's game and you get to see interesting, high quality.  Also, it is important to learn to read the wind.  Seemingly light wind can move a 22lr 1/4 - 1/2" at that range (50yds). 

Hope this stirs your interest. It is great enjoyment to really tax/test your skills.

Regis  

Well, you all have me thinking about giving ARA a shot with he equipment I have (an FWB Free Rifle) maybe I'll add a tuner to the rifle, but that's about all it needs. I will also have to make a flat bottom for the forend that fits into the rail so it will ride the rest better, and remove the butt hook.

The next consideration is the optics. I assume you are shooting with a dot reticle. What size are you using? or what are the ID dimensions of the two BOLD rings on the ARA target? I have a 36x with 3/8moa Dot, and 32x Unertl programmer with 1/2moa Dot, and I believe that I have another 36 with 1/8moa dot.

Advise?

Inside of first blue line is 3/8", outside is 1/2.  That is the important one.

I think reticle choice is very personal.  I think it comes down to practice and knowing how you shoot.  I will be shooting a Sightron SIII 10-50x Target Dot.  Mine is .5 MOA at 10x and .1 MOA at 50x.   I haven't shot it at all yet so I don't know what power I will end up using, probably around 40-45 if I had to guess.

Being in East TN you are lucky if you are near Bristol.  Kettefoot probably has as many matches as anywhere in the country.  Go one day and watch and I bet you will learn more than you ever wanted to know.

Edited by Hozzie

Well, you all have me thinking about giving ARA a shot with he equipment I have (an FWB Free Rifle) maybe I'll add a tuner to the rifle, but that's about all it needs. I will also have to make a flat bottom for the forend that fits into the rail so it will ride the rest better, and remove the butt hook.

The next consideration is the optics. I assume you are shooting with a dot reticle. What size are you using? or what are the ID dimensions of the two BOLD rings on the ARA target? I have a 36x with 3/8moa Dot, and 32x Unertl programmer with 1/2moa Dot, and I believe that I have another 36 with 1/8moa dot.

Advise?

You have some choices starting out.  I have seen people use their front sling anchor to attach a delrin or polished aluminum plate.  Anschutz dealers sell one that fits the forearm groove in some of their rifles. 

Scope, more power best quality glass of course is great.  When I started, I used a 36x44 BSA on a couple different guns (CZ452, Rem 541).  Didn't win much but had fun.   I put a Weaver 36x40 on my custom Suhl (no longer have it).  It is important to find the ammo that your particular gun likes and then learn to read the wind.  The best equipment in the hands of someone that can't read the wind will not do well.  BTW, I just ordered a Sightron 36X42 for my new gun.  

Practice on some ARA targets.  If you belong to Strategic Edge, I can leave some for you or meet you there.

Regis

I don't belong to any clubs yet, but will be joining Cleveland shortly. I've just moved to TN and am still getting things settled. It won't be long before I start shooting again.

I'll make a plate that fits into the t-rail. If I dig I think I have a piece of 2.5in aluminum plate.

Fireball 221. I have a CZ 452 with a cheap 3x9 scope. Want to give it a try? Since we don't work. Help pass the time. Should be fun.

We could give it a try Scott. I've got a CZ 455 with also a cheap scope. Maybe we could get in the "cheap guns and retired farts" class? 

• Like 1

We could give it a try Scott. I've got a CZ 455 with also a cheap scope. Maybe we could get in the "cheap guns and retired farts" class? 

452, 453, & 455 are great guns.  I currently have a 455 varmint.  On March 19th at Strategic Edge, there will be a 22 rimfire match.  All details are not yet final but, there are tactical and benchrest portions.  Tactical will have targets from 25 - 150 yards.  Benchrest will have paper targets at 50 & 100 yards.  We're trying to get a feel for what people want to shoot therefore; Tony is letting a couple of us run this "general" match. 

I'll provide more info as it comes available. 

Regis