Competition Seating Dies

RCBS / Redding / Forster...  

I've used the RCBS in .223 and I like the cut out that I can drop the bullet in but I've never used the Redding or Forster seating dies.   I've just made up some ladder loads for the .223 so I don't know exactly what kind of performance I'll get yet.  I'm looking for a seating die for my 7mm Rem Mag.   The RCBS is about $40 cheaper than the Redding and Forster but I'm not buying based on price.   Has anyone had any experience with multiple brands of Competition Seating Dies?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No experience but I have been eyeing a Forster Benchrest set in .308 Win based on reviews online. The RCBS window in the seating die seems like a neat idea but from what I have read it is not as good as it sounds. 

The Redding S type dies have a huge following I know but I haven't wanted to buy a die and then a few different bushings.

No experience but I have been eyeing a Forster Benchrest set in .308 Win based on reviews online. The RCBS window in the seating die seems like a neat idea but from what I have read it is not as good as it sounds. 

The Redding S type dies have a huge following I know but I haven't wanted to buy a die and then a few different bushings.

I don't shoot competition, but have the Forster set with the Ultra Micrometer seater die. These aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Using these for .308 also. You'll have to get up way before daylight to beat Forster. If you can bite the bullet ( pun in there somewhere, LOL ), on cost, go for it.

I also have the Forster Co-Ax press, which is awesome. You can find them now under $300. Naturally, the price has gone down since I bought mine.

JMHO

Edited by Grunt67

I don't shoot competition either, but for the OCD among us, micrometer adjustment, coupled with an Redding Instant Indicator turns a frustrating task into a joyous communion with perfection.

And I am just now installing a Forster Co-Ax as well, so looking to improve concentricity. 

I love precision and repeatability.

It's about getting lost in your thoughts and the beauty of creation - at the bench - whether in the shop or on the range.  I may only make 5 rounds, but they are works of art, and a joy to shoot.

B.

Edited by R_Bert

True R-Bert. One of the many joys of the Forster Co-Ax press is that you can change dies in a couple of seconds once you have them initially adjusted. Instead of screwing it in or out with the standard press, and hoping you get it the same each time, the Forster simply

slides in/out.

Just wish they made pistol dies as well. Been meaning to ask them about that.

Know you'll enjoy your new press.

I've used a Redding Comp die set for a long time.  I have the bushing and sizing die set up in a Dillon Tool head and use it to only decap size and prime cases.  After charging I seat bullets with the comp. seating die that I have set up in a RCBS Rock Chucker that I have dedicated to this one step.  Probably not necessary to do it this way but it works for me.  If I were shooting as much as I used to I would probably go with Wilson dies these days.

For F class I use Whidden sizing and Wilson seating dies. The Wilson seating die is perfect as it gets.

Wilson makes good stuff for sure. Whether it's better than Forster, I can't say. Haven't tried side by side. Certainly wouldn't be afraid of anything they make.

Bottom line for me, if it works, it works.

First of all, +1 on the Coax Press. Best single stage press in the world.

I have two Redding competition seaters, one in 223 and one in 6.5 Grendel. The Grendel has never been used because Redding says that seating with compressed loads will void the warranty. So, I use a Forster die. I'm done buying Redding seaters. Can't whine about their bushing dies tho. They's hard to beat.