University of Memphis students push for gun carrying on campus

http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/31135445/university-of-memphis-students-push-for-gun-carrying-on-campus

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) -

A University of Memphis student organization is pushing to see a campus carry law that allows students with state issued gun permits to carry concealed weapons on campus. 

In addition, the NRA arrived Wednesday to help educate interested students.

"We believe that students and faculty that are owners of state issued permits should be able to conceal carry on campus," Stuart Dedmon, a member of the U of M Students for Concealed Carry, said.

A representative from the National Rifle Association spoke with students at the university about the NRA and their second amendment rights. Students at the event also received a NRA hat and a free year's membership to the NRA.

Everyone at the event said they came for more information, but most also want to carry a gun on campus.

"People are being robbed walking down the street going to the store or their car. I think it would be safe," Nicholas Mackey, student, said.

Student Gilmanur-Rashid, from Bangladesh, said regular citizens cannot carry guns in his country but he would like to carry one on the U of M campus.

"I would like to carry one for our safety, especially at night. It's very risky," Rashid said.

In a statement, the University of Memphis chief of police said he and U of M officials oppose guns on campus unless it is highly trained public safety personnel like police.

Students like Ben Furman share that belief.

"I don't think anything good can come from it. We already have police officers for protection. Yeah, it's not a good idea," Furman said.

University of Memphis student Destiny Denton also agrees with Furman and officials that guns should not be allowed.

"I don't think they should be allowed to carry them. This is a learning institution and it detracts from the learning environment," Denton said.

The State of Tennessee prohibits firearms on campuses. Students for Concealed carry would like to change that by lobbying to get bills passed in the legislature.

The arguments against college carry do not add up.  It is legal in probably half the states to carry on college property with a license.  In fact, with an enhanced license, you can carry on K-12 and college property in Mississippi.  The requirements to get the enhanced license in Mississippi are the same as we go through in Tennessee.

We need to urge our legislators to amend or add a bill in the legislature that has a chance of passing to fix this problem.

Edited by 300winmag

The unspoken problem with the prohibition against college carry isn't specific to being unarmed on campus, though there is the obvious danger there, it's having to be unarmed while going to and from campus where plenty of crime takes place.  A lot of students live close by and walk to class to save money, and because parking on campus just sucks.  It's not uncommon at all to hear about someone getting assaulted on the streets around a campus, and I don't know any woman who would walk alone after the sun sets, they all use the buddy system or small groups. 

I tried to do some volunteer work with Students for Concealed Carry, but had to give it up because of my class and work schedule.  Their a no joke grassroots group trying to make a difference.

• Like 2