Getting into F/As

Now that I am about to get a good paying job in the next month or so I have ALWAYS wanted a full auto, and had some questions...

- I've always wanted a MP5 or a Glock 18 - not sure why, but those things were always cool - where would one go to look for this sort of stuff, not many F/A dealers are in Tenn that just happen to have a MP5 or registered Glock auto-sear laying around I take it?

- Any good way to check condition or real worth? I know they start in the $20K+ range - but damnit, if I am shelling out half of a college fund on a piece of hardware - I want to make sure it works good, so how does round count/general wear in tear factor into selecting a FA?

- Ammunition - the military F/As have loose slutty chambers that will feed any crap ammo effectively - I know that won't apply for the Glock (since it is a frame) - but what about the MP5? Any reason to count hand loads out? Any specific way to load for a F/A?

- Anything crazy go into a FA Form 4? Do they take longer than a Can? I have a Trust but will doing an Individual be better?

- Along with the previous question, will I need to submit an additional form for it being SBRed? Read somewhere I dont have to but want to check the truth of that 

- Any other thoughts/comments/concerns I should address? Obviously this is very preliminary but other than Mil/Russian crap I do not know much about any other FAs

I'm sure Kris or Mike will be in here to give me penis envy - thanks in advance 

Glock started producing the 18 in 1986.  Anything that you can legally own as a private citizen will have had to be registered before May 1986, therefore that almost effectively rules out a Glock 18.  Check gun broker to see what stuff is going for that will be a good indication as far as cost.  That's the only questions that you asked that I can give you a good answer on.

Answering your SBR question, no, you don't have to file a separate form for it.  Doesn't apply to the full autos. If you're going to get into the 20K range why not look at something like an M16 lower.  I think those are somewhere in that range now.  Plus you could change caliber and upper without issue.

• Like 1
I just assumed there were G18s because Ive seen videos of guys with F/A Glocks...or is that fun stuff only for Dealer Samples and SOTs?

If a 9mm upper would run on it id be interested in a M16 lower...but if not I am ready to be done with the M16 for good lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
G18s are post-86 dealer sample only.

My opinion is that a RDIAS ( registered drop in auto sear) for an AR is the best value but I believe they are around $30k now. LOTS of platforms use an AR trigger now, everything from all the ARs in every caliber, the MPX, the new LWRC SMG45, the new version of the Brethren Armament MP5 available in 9mm, 40, 357 and 10mm.

Is that the reason they went outta sight?.. Makes sence. I wandered why the were higher than m16.

On a M16, the receiver breaks and you are just out. And heat treating wasn't as good in the 80s as it is now. An RDIAS, can be put in any new receiver and transferred should the receiver get damaged.

Also, the Colt LE901 which is convertible from 556 to 308 uses an AR15 trigger group, one of the only ways to use an RDIAS in a 308 AR that I'm aware of.

I think an RDIAS is more value able than most diamonds ounce for ounce lol Edited by nightrunner

Let me answer some of your questions.

1. Your not going to find a transferable glock sear, most likely there all pre or dealer samples, SOT can only have them.

2. MP5, there are 2 ways to have a FA, RR registered receiver or sear, RR is the cheapest and less desirable, the sear "Fleming or ?" is the most versatile usually in 9mm, 223 and 308. The down fall of a RR you can't remove the sear and place it into another host, so if your RR is under 16" no stamp is required for a SBR.

The sear you can move it to any host you want, only down side if its under 16" every host must have a SBR stamp.

3. My suggestion look on subguns, sturm and GB, I will personally vouch for Ruben in FL, my rich buddy bough 2 MP5 from him and I bought a Ares Shrike Upper.

The process is exactly the same as a can.

After seeing the amount of $$ my buddy has spent on his HK collection, compare to my M16 its amazing all I buy is uppers while he buys complete guns..

The 16 is the best bang for your buck...

• Like 1
The next broken M16 receiver I see will be the first I've ever seen. I've seen them damaged in accidents, but never in normal use.
And any damage can be repaired.
I've seen wallowed out hammer pin holes. But that's an easy fix.
With an M16 registered receiver, you have an incredible number of calibers and other options. Including belt feeding!?
  • Like 1
M16 lower would be what I would get. Lots of options on uppers. Yes 9mm will run I'd recommend ramping the carrier for sure. Kns pins are a good idea too. I only have 2 F/A and I would not sell my M16 for anything. I have a CMMG .22 upper and that with a BDM 50 round drum is guaranteed to put a smile on anyone's face. Like 1gewehr says how many lowers have you seen destroyed beyond repair from normal use. I can promise you'll be craving a belt fed before long. When I can afford it that will be my next purchase.
The m16 lower is probably the better choice. I'll second the anti rotation pins.
If a belt fed is wanted, there are belt fed uppers for a standard lower which would give basically an M249 SAW....or as close as most of us will ever be able to get.
Here is another question can I use one of those RDIAS with another trigger?

Id do a Shrike belt fed to pretend I have a M27 and a ramped 9mm upper for shiggles.

So to touch on an earlier post, if say I bought a FA M16A1 and swapped uppers I would have to SBR it?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
No if you bought any M16, the MG trumps all laws no other stamp needed, If you use a rdias, all your host guns under 16" must be SBR..another draw back about a rdias, if you remove the sear to move it to another host, you technically need to remove the FCG as well or your in possession of a unregistered MG.

Here's my son shooting a M16 with a 12.5" G5 Shrike with a 100rd side mount nutsack
https://youtu.be/5VR-BvpQx78 Edited by Johnny Rotten
  • Like 4

You want an auto mp5, the auto sears sell for $30,000 & good luck finding one.   No exaggeration.  I was hoping to get a fun button too before ordering that mp5, then after searching for about 20 minutes I just said F that.

Most of the cheaper ones you see like that are conversion made before the ban . You'll note they are not Colt or they are semi colts that have been converted . Just something to look out for. I forget what they call these type of m16 ? Help, me out guys.
They are basically AR-15 Registered Receivers. Dang it . I cant remember .

Colt is he best option, I have a Frankfort Arsenal factory made MG with an out of spec Olympic lower, quality back in the day was chit!!!    

1) forget the glock. Non in the registry. All Post 86. So thats out.

2) MP5's… Get a sear. Not a registered receiver. Can swap between whatever gun you want. Even a semi auto M249. They use MP5 packs. That sear is extremely versatile. 

3) M16's… Cheaper you get doesn't always mean bad quality. You can make anything run. Thats not a problem. Yes, you pay to click and go with better quality. But, again, you can make anything work.

I might have a line on a sear pack for a good price if you're ready to buy now. Just let me know. I know some people with a couple that I'm sure they would part with. 

• Like 1