Ruger 10/22 build for an Appleseed class?

stealthgoat

School me on Appleseed and the 10/22 Liberty Rifle mods, please.

After hunting this last fall, daughter wants to learn field positional shooting (yeah!). I have shot NRA /CMP rifle matches, so I initially thought a CMP clinic with an AR. However Appleseed with a low recoil / low cost practice rimfire might be another good option.   

Assuming we do an Appleseed then I will need to buy something for her, and we may as well do it right.  

Thanks, 

Tim aka stealthgoat

If I were going to get into that game I would get these sights:   http://www.tech-sights.com/ruger3.htm and put them on a standard wood stock 10/22. o

If you want to make that gun shoot really good then I would send the trigger to Brimstone and just get the Tier 3 for 38.50:  http://www.brimstonegunsmithing.com/collections/ruger-10-22/products/tier-3-basic-10-22-trigger-work   But then I would send the barrel to Randy at CPC and get it rechambered and crowned:  http://www.ct-precision.com/ruger10-22.html I would then either buy a Kidd bolt or have Randy at CPC clean up the OEM bolt at the same time he does your barrel.  After that I would bed the action and put a pressure pad under the barrel.

Here is what Appleseed says: chrome-extension://bpmcpldpdmajfigpchkicefoigmkfalc/views/app.html

• Like 1

If I were going to get into that game I would get these sights:   http://www.tech-sights.com/ruger3.htm and put them on a standard wood stock 10/22. o

If you want to make that gun shoot really good then I would send the trigger to Brimstone and just get the Tier 3 for 38.50:  http://www.brimstonegunsmithing.com/collections/ruger-10-22/products/tier-3-basic-10-22-trigger-work   But then I would send the barrel to Randy at CPC and get it rechambered and crowned:  http://www.ct-precision.com/ruger10-22.html I would then either buy a Kidd bolt or have Randy at CPC clean up the OEM bolt at the same time he does your barrel.  After that I would bed the action and put a pressure pad under the barrel.

Here is what Appleseed says: chrome-extension://bpmcpldpdmajfigpchkicefoigmkfalc/views/app.html

+1 on Graycrait's first suggestion as a beginning point, then add the second if she has enough interest .  A "factory" 10-22 with Tech sights, swivels and a canvas sling has earned many shooters a rifleman patch. 

The Ruger is the most popular but some people like the Marlin 795 for Appleseed.  They actually make a  factory LTR version complete w/Tech sights and sling that's available for about $200 on-line.  Either way you end up with a nice .22LR shooter for a decent investment.

One thing to keep in mind - the most accuracy needed to shoot rifleman is about 4 MOA (hit a square inch target at 25 yards).  In three of the four stages the targets are larger.  The "devil" is in shooting the required sequence of positions/targets/firing patterns within the time limits while doing the reloads. It's all about learning how to be a rifleman that can lay down effective fire rapidly not about sharpshooter/sniper accuracy.  Plus some US history for emphasis.  

Plus It's a lot of fun.  I strongly suggest that you shoot both days when you go.  They are different.  You'll learn a lot but there's no room for ego.  I saw combat veterans that had to "unlearn/relearn" to improve their scoring.  Should be a great weekend with your daughter.

• Like 1

Most Appleseed instructors are happy to loan their 10/22 to first-time Appleseeders of you want to "try before you buy".

If you sign up for a shoot in Manchester or Pelham, we'll usually have several loaners available to use.

BTW, I've been involved in the program for about four years now.

Edited by Loon160T

I learned a valuable lesson at my 1st Appleseed event this last summer. 

I bought a nice Ruger 10/22 just for that Appleseed event, new 2 x 7 power scope, a military sling from the Appleseed website and everything I needed. Prepaid my $70.00 entry and range fee. Went to my gun club and perfectly zeroed my rifle on the concrete bench-rests for the distance. Now I'm ready to go. Keep in mind I'm now 63 years old!

Appleseed weekend comes and I'm excited to play! After the excellent talks about our American history and heritage, it's to the range to sight in, etc. Long story short... My scope mount position was excellent for bench-rest shooting. When I got into the prone position, the scope was 'three' inches too far back. I had to contort my neck and head to even see through the scope. I had a little time to adjust the scope all the way forward but then it was way off the mark. I didn't have the time to re-zero it as the class had to progress on time. My old neck was so kinked and sore I just called it a day. I didn't realize eye relief was that drastically different for me from bench-rest to prone. I should have checked it out in the prone position. What a dummy... 

Next summer!

• Like 1

I learned a valuable lesson at my 1st Appleseed event this last summer. 

I bought a nice Ruger 10/22 just for that Appleseed event, new 2 x 7 power scope, a military sling from the Appleseed website and everything I needed. Prepaid my $70.00 entry and range fee. Went to my gun club and perfectly zeroed my rifle on the concrete bench-rests for the distance. Now I'm ready to go. Keep in mind I'm now 63 years old!

Appleseed weekend comes and I'm excited to play! After the excellent talks about our American history and heritage, it's to the range to sight in, etc. Long story short... My scope mount position was excellent for bench-rest shooting. When I got into the prone position, the scope was 'three' inches too far back. I had to contort my neck and head to even see through the scope. I had a little time to adjust the scope all the way forward but then it was way off the mark. I didn't have the time to re-zero it as the class had to progress on time. My old neck was so kinked and sore I just called it a day. I didn't realize eye relief was that drastically different for me from bench-rest to prone. I should have checked it out in the prone position. What a dummy... 

Next summer!

Interesting... I didn't think you could use a scope at an Appleseed.