reloading 40s&w

I used to use AA#5 but will be trying titegroup soon.

The only other difference is that you can get into high pressures much faster with the 40 than 45acp. Take your time working up your loads

I found the 40 to have almost no room to play ...  follow the book, and take care with it, but there are only a tiny handful of weights to pick from and the variation for each weight is fairly small as well.   231 (do they still make it?)  and #5 as stated worked well for me.   As long as you watch that OAL & are not looking to do redline +P loads,  all you have to do is pick a projectile and follow the recipe.   Powder lately has been using what you can find...  you don't have to be too picky.  The slow magnum stuff isn't good in 40,  but the faster stuff is ok (like #2) if you are careful with it.

AA5 is my favorite by far. I also use Titegroup. I started with Winchester Super Target a decade ago and it always worked well, just doesn't seem to be very popular. I have a couple pounds put back, but I kinda doubt I'll ever go back to it unless I run out of AA5 and TG.
I have used Unique and it works just fine. Power Pistol is probably the best I have used though. People say there is little room for error, but that is not true. Since 40 is a high pressure round you only see high pressure load data. I can, and often do, load powder fart .40s&w loads. My 770fps 180 gr loads are unbelievable accurate and soft shooting.

I don't use a bulge buster but if I feel like the case is bulged and suffering from Glock Belly I set it to the side with others like it to run further into the resizing die without a shell holder. I then tap it out through the top without the decapping pin in the die. But sometimes I just toss bulged cases in the trash. If it is a visible bulge I toss it anyway. Edited by Patton
Ive only reloading 10mm but 40 isnt too far off - just, wimpier...

But 800X works real well - on 180s in 10mm I was starting at 8.5 up to 9.4gr of it - Im sure 40 will be on the lower end but it meters like corn flakes, it does have some instances of crazy pressure spikes.

Power Pistol I heard works real well, very even keeled pressure curves; I use it for 45 and I like it a lot

Titegroup is very high pressure and fast burning but with the right COAL I am sure you can make a soft shooting 40 Minor

Other nods go towards Unique and AA5

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
I only load .40 with aa5. It is "the" powder as far as I'm concerned. Lots of room for variation in charge. I really like 200's at 850 in the .40, this is my do all load including competition. I've used power pistol and it's good, good for velocity and increased recoil impulse. If I want velocity and recoil, I'll break out the 10mm.
  • 2 weeks later...