S&W Chief's Special

Agreed. Invest in the rebound spring tool. It will save you some frustration for sure.

It's common for DIY action jobs to include clipping coils from the rebound slide spring. When you pull the spring both ends should have a coil flattened and closed. If the spring has an open coil it's been shortened...

I like the Wolff spring packs.

Good luck!
  • Like 1

You could always just buy a new one to try out.

This is it, right?  https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/311940A.htm

Numrich used to offer a $4.95 off shipping code if you called in to order.  A recording would tell you to hang up and order online but provide the code.  I don't know if they still do that.

On second thought, how could the thing not move unless the pin on the rebound slide it rides on is worn or broken off?

Edited by Garufa
Thats the right part Garufa. You are also correct about inspecting the pin on the rebound slide. I guess I was making an assumption that it was intact from the description of it all working with the side plate off. It could be bent, burred, etc and the malfunction is only apparent when the side plate is on.

Thanks for pointing that out. This problem needs careful observation of the parts in motion to diagnose.

I wish I had been able to go to a S&W revolver school but even so  I have done a lot of action jobs on these things.  I like Sidecarist's recommendation to try it with bar out, screws out then with hammer block out and screws in.  That should prove it is the block if it still runs but will not run with block in and screws in.  I wonder why the bar is hanging the action up unless someone took the revolver apart, lost a block and then replaced it without fitting.  If it is an original part then I can't fathom why just that part would hang up the action because most of the action parts work in close concert with one another. Is the stud that the hammer block rides still intact?

I would follow this advice before sending it to S&W and if this does not fix it I would send it to S&W.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-smithing/443538-hammer-block-sticky-rebound-pre-10-a.html?highlight=hammer+block

Edited by graycrait