Really Travis?

First off, I respect him as a trainer...even when I disagree with him.  I have always felt that he was the bigger talent behind Magpul's training rather than "The Beard." 

But this?

OK.  He was demonstrating stupid TTPs, on purpose (for educational purposes) to show how stupid they are.  I've done that myself and have no problem with that.  A "this is what you don't do" sort of thing.

So, when an ND happens, while demonstrating said stupid thing, why in the hell didn't he just say, "See, this is stupid and it even caused me to have an ND."

Had he done that, the only thing someone maybe could fault him for was demonstrating with a loaded rifle.  

Personally, that's not a biggie for me because Haley was minding other safety rules in a controlled setting and I know the talent / experience he brings to the table.

Even then, we're all human.

Instead, if you Google some, it seems he completely denies having a ND.

Anyway...

http://bearingarms.com/travis-haley-negligent-discharge/

Edited by TN-popo
  • Like 1
  • Administrator

It's the denial of the ND that bothers me.  So far I fall into the camp of "Hasn't happened to me yet" but as they say... There but by the grace of God, go I.   That could easily be me some day.  And as the OP said, we're all human.

• Like 2

I've had a AD before and not ashamed to admit it. Polish P-64 pistol. I had to replace a tile in my kitchen floor because of it. Luckily the round hit the floor instead of going through my leg. I'm not ashamed of it and will gladly talk about it because we are all human. If my mistake / stupidity can help someone from doing the same thing, then its a win situation. I learn from others everyday if it be firearms or what temp to bake salmon, I learn everyday. I'm an expert at nothing and freely admit it.

• Moderators

It's the denial of the ND that bothers me. So far I fall into the camp of "Hasn't happened to me yet" but as they say... There but by the grace of God, go I. That could easily be me some day. And as the OP said, we're all human.

This is where I am at. Shit happens, we are all human and he could have taken the "that's why those things are a bad idea" track. Instead he staked out a position that calls his integrity into doubt. Never a good place to plant one's flag.

This is where I am at. #### happens, we are all human and he could have taken the "that's why those things are a bad idea" track. Instead he staked out a position that calls his integrity into doubt. Never a good place to plant one's flag.

Agree. It's not like he shot off his pinky. He just let one fly into the berm.

AD vs ND are a very different thing.  I believe most are in the ND category, because when you analyze them, it comes out that it was preventable if safety precautions were followed.  When a weapon is dropped and goes off, or a bad holster catches the trigger upon holstering etc, that is my idea of AD, even if some precautions could of prevented it.  But when your action causes the weapon to discharge when you do not mean it to, that is an ND.  Having said that, I agree that stuff happens, and unless someone is injured, then we can just carry on and learn from the incident.  Twice I have had what I consider an ND, the first is with my Kimber 1911, the trigger was so light that I put two rounds down range when only meaning to discharge once.  The second time was when I, as a novice AK user, didn't realize that it started on full auto instead of semi.  Both incidents were at ranges, and both could of been played off very easily but I choose to tell it like it is.  Of course I am not a brand, and having an ND is nothing more than a little embarrassment so the choice is easier.  But I feel that when you lie it makes the incident that much worse, sometimes more so than the incident itself, because that speaks of bad character.

Agree. It's not like he shot off his pinky. He just let one fly into the berm.

Hey now...Let's leave Buford alone. lol

I am ashamed to admit, but it has also happened to me. I shot off a couple of 22 rounds once while setting the trigger pull on a Hi-Standard. That was years ago.

More recently, I dropped my finger on the trigger a little too soon and fired off a 9mm before I wanted.

It can...and will happen to most everyone. Sooner or later. Just use it to re-affirm safety for yourself and others.

Hey now...Let's leave Buford alone. lol

I am ashamed to admit, but it has also happened to me. I shot off a couple of 22 rounds once while setting the trigger pull on a Hi-Standard. That was years ago.

More recently, I dropped my finger on the trigger a little too soon and fired off a 9mm before I wanted.

It can...and will happen to most everyone. Sooner or later. Just use it to re-affirm safety for yourself and others.

I'm not being hard on him. I shot my friend's desk with a Glock 27 one time. Long story. The dog still has a little twitch from it.

• Like 2

I'm not being hard on him. I shot my friend's desk with a Glock 27 one time. Long story. The dog still has a little twitch from it.

That's funny...

Sadly I will have to admit that I have had two unintentional discharges in my life to date. One was because of my own complacency when I pulled the trigger on a 1911 and put one into the dirt about 3ft in front of me, #2 was a mechanical failure of the sear on a Wilson race gun that had been "fixed" by its new owner. I should have never loaded that weapon, I saw it malfunction moments before I did.

AD/ND is a matter of opinion, but on both occasions the gun was pointing down range in a safe direction. BOTH times I was saved by the habit of following rule #1.

The gun safety rules are about as simple as it can get, and complacency can bite anyone at any time that we really distracted, in a hurry, etc.

Yes I was still embarrassed but I also used those examples when teaching hunter safety and other classes.

I will never forget either and I hope that those experiences make me safer!
I'll never shame anyone for having an unintended discharge so long as the muzzle was in a safe direction. I've touched off a round early before on the range, and I've learned the hard way why you never load six in a SAA and then lower the hammer. Thankfully both of those experiences were on an outdoor range and I had the muzzle pointed in the right direction.

As for handling loaded guns indoors, I just don't do it. Even when I'm loading my carry gun, as a habit I always go outside to chamber a round just as a reminder to be extra careful.
  • Like 1

No one should ever break any of the safety rules surrounding firearms but if you do just hope you are following the others. It is when two, or more, safety rules are ignored that things get really dangerous. I have had my fair share of accidental discharges but I am always super, super about where my muzzle is.

And dare I say it but we have all broken a gun safety rule a time or two ourselves. I can honestly say I am glad there isn't a video of some of the stupid crap I did when I was young.

• Like 3

I'll never shame anyone for having an unintended discharge so long as the muzzle was in a safe direction. I've touched off a round early before on the range, and I've learned the hard way why you never load six in a SAA and then lower the hammer. Thankfully both of those experiences were on an outdoor range and I had the muzzle pointed in the right direction.

As for handling loaded guns indoors, I just don't do it. Even when I'm loading my carry gun, as a habit I always go outside to chamber a round just as a reminder to be extra careful.

All my Glocks stay chambered. But, I paid a little extra, and got the kind that don't go off unless you pull the trigger. :)

• Like 1
  • Authorized Vendor

I think it would be a non issue if he just admitted instead of acting like he's some infallible individual.

Exactly.....man up to your mistakes and move on. Nothing worse that lying/denying the truth. It makes you look like a moron more that the initial mistake would have.

• Like 1