First Glock in the family

josh.mcdonald

Picked up a Glock 43 TALO for my wife around Christmas but we haven't had a chance to take it out and break it in yet. I noticed it has a good bit of factory grease packed in there. Do I need to clean and re-lube it with normal lube before taking it to the range or just load it up and shoot it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, the copper grease is there for a reason, leave it there. All you need to do with that pistola is read the owners manusl, follow good firearms safety proceedures, use some good common sense in shooting it and have fun. Clean it when it needs it but otherwise just use it...and buy it a stablemate..

• Like 1

FWIW, after shooting my Glocks, I do a basic field strip and wipe everything down with Hoppe's or a Birchwood Casey silicon cleaning cloth. You can even swab the barrel with one.

I sold one several years ago, and the buyer commented that it was "slicker the owl s...t" afterwards. Yeah, do a brush cleaning on the barrel to keep it copper free or lead free if using reloads. 

But essentially... shoot the hell out of it and wipe it off afterwards. It's a Glock. It's made to withstand punishment and infrequent cleanings. lol

• Like 1
Shoot about 200rds to work that copper lube in then do a full strip and wipe everything down. To include the striker assembly, bore brush and swab the barrel and take compressed air to the trigger assembly too

I like polishing up the guide rails and the trigger bar with 800grit sandpaper as well - the Glock 43s I had had a really crunchy uptake to them.

I like using Hoppes as a lube or the generic multiuse oil you can get at Lowes.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, that's kinda what I figured. Once I get a couple hundred rounds in it, I'll clean it and lube it good with some Weapon Shield.
Trying to find another one but no one has em in stock. I can get the regular 43 but not the TALO.

I've seen Glock's with thousands of rounds fired through them that still had some of the factory grease left in them. It's literally one of those guns you can shoot until its so filthy it looks like it will never shoot again. But it does, unless there's a parts breakage it'll just eventually cycle slowly enough to have feed/eject failures. Then once you do a detailed clean and lube it looks new and runs like a scalded dog.

Thanks guys, that's kinda what I figured. Once I get a couple hundred rounds in it, I'll clean it and lube it good with some Weapon Shield.
Trying to find another one but no one has em in stock. I can get the regular 43 but not the TALO.

Look for a 20 or 29, they're much funner. I bought one for Monkey's birthday last April, we've got way more than we need. They're addicting!

Edited by MrsMonkeyMan2500
  • Like 1

I hate it when folks chastise me for not stripping naked, wearing face paint, listening to Gregorian chants, sitting cross legged on a purple velvet rug under a statue of the holy virgin, with candles and incense burning to intensely and religiously clean my Glock, with my cleaning kit arrayed like nuclear warhead maintenance tools or a hospital surgical suite.  (I was a janitor while going to college on the GI Bill where I had to clean the hospital surgical suites at night, then when I went back into the Army I was a nuclear warhead maintenance supervisor for a couple of years). 

When I do clean my Glock I try to keep it to 5 minutes or less usually using brake or carb cleaner, a gun cleaning double ended tooth brush and an air compressor.  I lube it with whatever is closest at hand that says lubrication on the container, except for WD 40.

(Lastly - do not spray carb or brake cleaner on a black Lorcin/Bryco or Raven - it won't be black no mo.)  A friend asked me to fix his Lorcin .380 one time (it jammed - duh...) so when I got it running I thought "I'll clean it for ....."  Lesson learned - Do not clean a Lorcin like I clean a Glock.  I ended up taking all the paint off, which was easy with Carb cleaner, then buffed that pot metal to a chrome like finish on my buffing wheel.  ..... thought I had given him a new gun - he was a happy man.

Edited by graycrait
  • Like 1

I hate it when folks chastise me for not stripping naked, wearing face paint, listening to Gregorian chants, sitting cross legged on a purple velvet rug under a statue of the holy virgin, with candles and incense burning to intensely and religiously cleaning my Glock, with my cleaning kit arrayed like nuclear warhead maintenance tools or a hospital surgical suite. (I was a janitor while going to college on the GI Bill where I had to clean the hospital surgical suites at night, then when I went back into the Army I was a nuclear warhead maintenance supervisor for a couple of years).

When I do clean my Glock I try to keep it to 5 minutes or less usually using brake or carb cleaner, a gun cleaning double ended tooth brush and an air compressor. I lube it with whatever is closest at hand that says lubrication on the container, except for WD 40.

(Lastly - do not spray carb or brake cleaner on a black Lorcin/Bryco or Raven - it won't be black no mo.) A friend asked me to fix his Lorcin .380 one time (it jammed - duh...) so when I got it running I thought "I'll clean it for ....." Lesson learned - Do not clean a Lorcin like I clean a Glock. I ended up taking all the paint off, which was easy with Carb cleaner, then buffed that pot metal to a chrome like finish on my buffing wheel. ..... thought I had given him a new gun - he was a happy man.

ROTFLMAO
  • 2 weeks later...