Multi-Tool Fever

• Moderators

So, here is my conundrum.

For a few years my Gerber MP600 Pro Scout has been my go-to multi-tool. However, over the years it has developed the following two issues: One of the flatheads broke and the wire cutter has developed a significant burr and now once the pliers are completely closed you have to use two hands to pull them open again because the burr essentially makes it stick closed. However, I have loved the one handed opening feature overall.

Recently in a purchase from a TGO member I acquired an original Leatherman Super-Tool. It is the original and is no longer available. The one I picked up is 100% new. It seems awesome and I am thinking of keeping it.

jXw2Ald.jpg

With that being said, I decided to try and send the Gerber back for a replacement. They should do this for free. I then decided that I was interested in the SOG Powerlock series. They use gears in their pliers so you can get more force on them easier.

But reading about multi-tools on the internet is about like reading about Glocks vs 1911's, etc etc. Some people love Leatherman, some people love SOG, personally I like the Gerber but think the steel might be a bit soft.

I had two Victorinox Swisstools from a local Tennessee Trader purchase about 6 years ago. I sold both of them but wish I had kept one; They were really nice.

I started this thread to see what you all thought about multitools. Anyone have a SOG? Should I keep and use the Leatherman? If I don't plan on keeping and using the Leatherman as well as Gerber I will sell them to fund a purchase of what I do want.

Ive used a buttload in the military so far and will share...

The Leatherman MUT was by far my favorite. I carried the EOD model at first but sold it to another tech in favor of the standard one - the carbon scraper and screw in cleaner spots on top of all the bits and blades is awesome. (Plus only losers dont carry an extra pair of crimpers)

On the cheap the standard black Gerber that comes with OTIS cleaning kits is great...even though Ive destroyed a bunch of them.

I really liked my Victorinox but someone stole it like a true asshat..

As far as SOG goes I used the EOD one as well, the crimpers sucked but damn was the wire cutting blades really nice. Ended up leaving in at a 10K Code H det pit...so its atoms are spread somewhere around Eglin

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team

I've been through a dozen Leathermans over the years - from the big ones down to the smallest.  I've never had one that didn't develop an issue or three.  I've all but sworn them off.

I've always wanted to like Gerber's stuff, but their quality control is awful.  And, their commitment to turning out a dozen new designs each year doesn't help.  I've yet to break one, but I've got some that really beat up.

The SOGs I have used have always been pretty tough - but bulkier and heavy

I've had good luck with Victorinox's tools, but I've not used one in a decade.

Truthfully, I don't know what tool I'd pick right now if I had to choose.

I've had good luck with both Leathermans and Gerber.  Basically, I want the smallest one that has both pliers and scissors.  Currently, that's a Leatherman Wave. 

As for your screwdriver and wire cutters.... take a file to them.  I've bent/broken the tip of the flat head screwdriver on a couple occasions.  I just file it back flat and keep going.  You could do the same to remove the burr from the wire cutters.

• Moderators

Ive used a buttload in the military so far and will share...

The Leatherman MUT was by far my favorite. I carried the EOD model at first but sold it to another tech in favor of the standard one - the carbon scraper and screw in cleaner spots on top of all the bits and blades is awesome. (Plus only losers dont carry an extra pair of crimpers)

On the cheap the standard black Gerber that comes with OTIS cleaning kits is great...even though Ive destroyed a bunch of them.

I really liked my Victorinox but someone stole it like a true asshat..

As far as SOG goes I used the EOD one as well, the crimpers sucked but damn was the wire cutting blades really nice. Ended up leaving in at a 10K Code H det pit...so its atoms are spread somewhere around Eglin

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Yes, the Gerber that comes with the OTIS IWCK is a black coated 600, basically what I have but with I think C4 tools.

• Moderators

I've had good luck with both Leathermans and Gerber.  Basically, I want the smallest one that has both pliers and scissors.  Currently, that's a Leatherman Wave. 

As for your screwdriver and wire cutters.... take a file to them.  I've bent/broken the tip of the flat head screwdriver on a couple occasions.  I just file it back flat and keep going.  You could do the same to remove the burr from the wire cutters.

Well, that's definitely a possibility but if I can return it for the cost of shipping for a new one then I think I will do that. If they send me a new one it will have the higher resale value of the two options just in case I decide to try something else.

I have never had a problem with any of the Leathemans that I have had. I currently have the Wave that I only carry on occasion, but has never let me down. I used to carry it every day, but I did not like it on my belt and it was to big in my pocket. My EDC is now a leatherman skeletool cx. It fits my hand and pocket well for daily practical use. I also do not like a serrated edges and this particular model has the staight edge. It also has some carbon fiber parts to make it lighter. I highly recommend the skeletool.

0b3b101d7fcfb68248b909a9085d9e13_zpsxxtd

98e58f5ba23c1f9fbe807a563f354213_zpsezvf

Edited by Odessa7979

Boy, where to start...I have a multitude of these and have probably broke every dang one of them at one time or another (replaced under warranty).  The one I now carry as my EDC this one:

gerber-08239-MP800LegendMultitool-open-l

The reason I like this one is due to the needle nose, the access to a blade and scissors (one handed open) while closed.  And while open the outside portion is smooth so doesn't hurt your hand like others ie. the leatherman.  It also has a grit hacksaw which you can exchange, an adapter for the Phillips bit for other bits and the wire cutter inserts are replaceable and three sided if just dull you just turn them.  The only thing missing is that aggressive saw blade which goes through branches quickly.  But I would be hard pressed to choose something to take out in its stead. 

I had Gerber back when they made good stuff 20+ yrs ago. It was nice, loved the slide out pliers. I think I only carried it around 3 years, because it decided to take a swim at Percy Priest off the side of my dad's boat.

I replaced it with a Leatherman Fuse that has held up to medium usage for going on 20 years. I liked it so much I finally upgraded to a MUT last year and will never be without one again. I think it's the best multitool I've ever seen.

Leatherman here.  My first one was in late 80s that I broke the pliers within a year, sent them in, and recall had it back in 10 days.  I acquired a 2nd one as a Christmas gift in the early 90s, and kept it too.  They both look new and are still used time to time.  No complaints.  I admit some of the models have appeal, but no justification for me since mine do the job when needed. 

• Moderators

Curiosity got me. I ordered a SOG Powerlock from Amazon, it's this one:

http://amzn.to/1mFZ5UB

I have always wanted one of the SOG's to tryout. If I get it and don't like the feel of it I am sure Amazon will be happy to accept it back.

Reasons?

Figured I'd give the compound leverage thing a try, 1/4" drive (sounds neat, may sound neater than it is), lots of tools.

I have never had a problem with any of the Leathemans that I have had. I currently have the Wave that I only carry on occasion, but has never let me down. I used to carry it every day, but I did not like it on my belt and it was to big in my pocket. My EDC is now a leatherman skeletool cx. It fits my hand and pocket well for daily practical use. I also do not like a serrated edges and this particular model has the staight edge. It also has some carbon fiber parts to make it lighter. I highly recommend the skeletool.

Leatherman Skeletool! Aww yeah. It's now my go to multi-tool at work and home.

Reasons:

1. Fit - it is plenty comfortable. The slight curve fits my palm and fingers and applies just the right amount of leverage. If I need more, then I need a bigger tool than this one.

2. Tool selection: Two sets of screwdriver tips - big and small flat, bit and small phillips. Knife. Pliers. Bottle opener.

3. The tools I use the most - Knife and bottle opener - don't require me to open the tool and fiddle to use them.

4. Forget the pocket clip - the carabiner clip hangs from a belt loop and the tool tucks in my back pocket. Easy access- no flopping about.

Curiosity got me. I ordered a SOG Powerlock from Amazon, it's this one:

http://amzn.to/1mFZ5UB

I have always wanted one of the SOG's to tryout. If I get it and don't like the feel of it I am sure Amazon will be happy to accept it back.

Reasons?

Figured I'd give the compound leverage thing a try, 1/4" drive (sounds neat, may sound neater than it is), lots of tools.

I have a SOG as well - it was my go to before the skeletool. The extra power is super helpful in specific circumstances. Cutting tough wire, pulling staples/nails.

I have the EOD - the spike comes in handy despite not being an explosives guy - punching holes in drywall to start a cut is a breeze. Also fun. Have also used it to puncture empty isobutane bottles for my MSR stove. The V cutter is great for stripping small wires, opening letters/box tape and other minor slicing. The blade was soft, and bent. Meh, don't use it much. The saw, however has trimmed many a small limb in the woods that was just a bit too green to snap. (didn't have a big blade to chop).

To me - the 1/4 drive is a bit silly. Even more so once I lost the little spring that holds sockets on it.

• Moderators

Well...I received the SOG last night.

Things I liked about it:

Compound pliers,

Included Sheath

Things I didn't like about it:

Side covers that kept popping off

Tools that not only open from the inside but also from inside the side covers

The unavoidable fact that compound pliers means that you have to open the handles further to get the jaws open further.

The bottle opener didn't seem anywhere near as well designed as my Swiss Pioneer.

I am returning it. I really like the Leatherman Super-Tool, but last night I had the pleasure of realizing what happens when you accidentally open all the tools on one side all the way. They all lock, which would normally be fine. But on the Leatherman Super-Tool, to unlock one of the tools you have to open another one of the tools to what would be 90° perpendicular to the handle. This relieves stress on the lock-bar. What do you do when all the tools are locked open and you cannot relieve stress on the lockbar?

I chunked it in the trash.

Just kidding, I had to take my Swiss Pioneer and pry the lockbar loose a little bit. I got them all closed. But prying with a flathead edge on the lockbar of a tool that has several sharp blades/edges locked opened seemed dangerous.

Where is all of this leading? I really, really like my Swiss Pioneer and may be picking up a Victorinox Swiss-tool someday but not anytime soon. I had several NIB from a bulk lot purchase 6 years ago or so but I sold them all. Wish I had kept one.

For now I think I'm sticking with the Gerber 600 that I have.

Edited by CZ9MM

Well...I received the SOG last night.

Things I liked about it:

Compound pliers,

Included Sheath

Things I didn't like about it:

Side covers that kept popping off

Tools that not only open from the inside but also from inside the side covers

The unavoidable fact that compound pliers means that you have to open the handles further to get the jaws open further.

The bottle opener didn't seem anywhere near as well designed as my Swiss Pioneer.

I am returning it. I really like the Leatherman Super-Tool, but last night I had the pleasure of realizing what happens when you accidentally open all the tools on one side all the way. They all lock, which would normally be fine. But on the Leatherman Super-Tool, to unlock one of the tools you have to open another one of the tools to what would be 90° perpendicular to the handle. This relieves stress on the lock-bar. What do you do when all the tools are locked open and you cannot relieve stress on the lockbar?

I chunked it in the trash.

Just kidding, I had to take my Swiss Pioneer and pry the lockbar loose a little bit. I got them all closed. But prying with a flathead edge on the lockbar of a tool that has several sharp blades/edges locked opened seemed dangerous.

Where is all of this leading? I really, really like my Swiss Pioneer and may be picking up a Victorinox Swiss-tool someday but not anytime soon. I had several NIB from a bulk lot purchase 6 years ago or so but I sold them all. Wish I had kept one.

For now I think I'm sticking with the Gerber 600 that I have.

I am surprised by this, that SOG model is a solid performer.  The only thing I didn't like is that the wire cutter was not replaceable.  I went through some demo courses with mine and that gear really helped me crimp the blasting caps pretty easily.  But the gear did have a drawback in that it allowed me to put too much pressure when cutting a wire which it's metal was not meant for and I nicked the cutter.  Have you looked into the Leatherman wave or the Gerber I listed in my previous post?  The wave is almost as good as my Gerber except that I feel it has too many blades on the outside, two; one serrated and one smooth.  It does have one of those serious saws I like though so that's a plus.

• Moderators

I am surprised by this, that SOG model is a solid performer.  The only thing I didn't like is that the wire cutter was not replaceable.  I went through some demo courses with mine and that gear really helped me crimp the blasting caps pretty easily.  But the gear did have a drawback in that it allowed me to put too much pressure when cutting a wire which it's metal was not meant for and I nicked the cutter.  Have you looked into the Leatherman wave or the Gerber I listed in my previous post?  The wave is almost as good as my Gerber except that I feel it has too many blades on the outside, two; one serrated and one smooth.  It does have one of those serious saws I like though so that's a plus.

Well, I have put hands on the Gerber you listed. It's nice, especially that the cutters are replaceable. I'lll look into the Wave. Mostly though I guess I just had a curiosity for the SOG. I'm not at all saying it wasn't nice, but rather that it performed differently than what I am used to with my Gerber.

• Moderators

Now the Leatherman Wave...I'd like to play with one of those for a bit. It looks nice.

Leatherman Skeletool here.  It's just enough.  If I need anything more, I should have my kit with me and be using actual tools.  The screwdriver is actually useful - and probably have used that feature 10x more than the others.

-that said, it has opened a lot... of boxes.

• Like 1