Remington (22LR) 597 20inch Barrel with Scope (Combination Buy)

PAULSHOOT

Added a 22LR Remington 597 20 inch barrel model with scope 3 - 9 x 32 (came as package, so it is the 20 inch barrel with out an open sight - just the scope). I just got it yesterday and have not shot it. Comes with one 10 round magazine using double stacked bullets, so the magazine does not protrude far below the stock (I like that feature). A 30 round magazine is available from Remington.

I ordered four (4) 10 Round magazines from Cheaper Than Dirt for $60 including shipping. Received a $10 Gift Card to be used for next purchase. So, $50.  

https://www.cheapert...047700196541.do

For info - I had been considering the Marlin 60 and Ruger's 22 rifles also. But went the 597 route. Mainly I will be target shooting (not into hunting and don't have a place to hunt or shoot varmits).

Hopefully, some issues with magazines and ejectors when the gun first came on the market have been resolved. Lot of U-Tube Info is online.  Internet folks say --- make sure magazines have the number 10 circled -- so as to have the latest model magazine (old ones had problems - this is the 3rd design).

My First Problems noted earlier this evening): Loaded the magazine with 10 rounds. it is hard to get the 10th round in. One reviewer noted that problem with from 9th to 10th round. He said it got easier with time (maybe the spring weakens).  I also had a problem getting the loaded magazine to "Click" into the gun. I had to really push it in (most show the magazine inserting easily as mine does when not loaded with bullets). For Info - that is with the Magazine that came with the gun, not the ones I have ordered as I have not received them yet. WONDERING if anyone else had that problem. 

Any feedback on the gun use, reliability, improvements will be appreciated. There is a lot of information on the Internet (U-Tube) and most is positive on later models of the gun (note the problems I mention at the end of this topic).    

Here is the story on my shopping and information on the two models to consider (20 inch or 16 inch Heavy Barrel) in case it helps someone else shop that might be interested in the 597.

I took advantage of a sunny 40F day (Feb 11) and rode Motor Scooter to Bud's Gun, then to Bass Pro, and to Dicks to check prices and the two model. Short story is -- I Bought at Dick's Sporting good sale and I had a $20 coupon plus a coupon for extra bonus points. They bore sighted it for me FREE. 

My intention when I left was the 16 inch Heavy Barrel. ((If I went with the Remington - I was still thinking the Marlin 60). Marlin might be the best deal at from $168 to $178 plus a scope for say $40 or $50. But, I decided I did not want a tube load and the 10 clip  loads on most are the long ones that protrude down. 

Anyway, the 16 inch HEAVY BARREL Remington is sold two ways:
Gun alone with no sights of any kind, but a scope mount plate runs  $189 (price at Bud's). No Sights of any kind, so you either buy a scope for  $40 or $50 or shoot with no sights.  
Or
Gun & Scope package for $229  has a 3 to 9 magnification x 32MM scope. Scope has an "r" on it -- the salesman at guessed that it is made by Tasco for Remington. There is not a focus adjustment (unusual I thought - butt he image is clear to me). Maybe Remington makes scopes? - I don't know.  

The 20 inch REGULAR BARREL Remington is sold two ways:
Gun with an Open Sight on it is $199 at Bass Pro and comes with a mount for a scope. Not a bad way to buy it and then buy a scope for say $40 or $50 and you could use it both ways (open sight or scope) and have $249 in it (Plus Background Check Fee, $10, and tax..  
Or
Gun comes as package with the scope (like one I mentioned above) for $239 at Bud's and only has the scope (no open sights).

What I bought -- at Dicks Sporting Goods was the 20 inch with the scope (no open sight) as a package. I had received a E Mail and found out it was on sale at $229 ($10 less the Bass Pro). The thing that prompted me to do it TODAY was the $10 OFF sale and a coupon that came in the mail today for $20 off on any purchase over $100. So, basically I got it with the scope for $209  vs $239 at Bass Pro. PLUS -- Another dang background check ($10) as TN still requires the background check and filling out the questioner even if you have a carry permit. Plus tax - came to $240.55.

Includes one 10 round magazine or clip (double stack so it sits up in the gun like a 5 round clip). They have extra clips for like $19.99  - or on Amazon for I think I saw $15.99. They also have a 30 round clip for I think it was $25 at Bass Pro.

Problems Noted on Internet Reviews and U-Tube:
Magazine or Clip---Apparently the initial clip with this gun (sometime in mid 90s) was plastic and caused a lot of problems. Remington redesigned with more metal and less plastic - still had problems. Latest design I think was 3 or 4 years ago and is all metal except the inner top part that pushes the  bullets is plastic.  Guys on Internet, says reliable now. 

Ejector -- Initial gun had eject problems in that the ejector would not pull  the spent bullet casing out after some wear. Guys used after market replacements and had a fix. Remington changed the ejector and no more problems per folks on the Internet. I HOPE.   
Edited by PAULSHOOT
Wow. Lotta info there... to be honest, I started out reading intently, but pretty quickly my eyes glazed over and I scrolled to the inevitable... problems with the gun. I hope it gets to working reliably for you.

My very first .22 was a 597. After a few months of being terribly frustrated with it I unloaded the thing... then I got a 10/22. I'll never be without one again. I hope your story goes differently.
  • Like 3

I have 3 10/22 rifles. Don't ask me why. It's a long story, but all shoot like the dickens. The only problem I've ever had with any of them is with some of the waxed 22 rounds. They sometimes  don't seem to feed well.

Simple solution to that...I don't use them in the rifles. They are for one of my revolvers.

Best 10/22 I own is a customized one I got from DolomiteSuprafly, one of our great members. It is unbelievable! It would be the last 22 I would ever part with. 

Wow. Lotta info there... to be honest, I started out reading intently, but pretty quickly my eyes glazed over and I scrolled to the inevitable... problems with the gun. I hope it gets to working reliably for you.

My very first .22 was a 597. After a few months of being terribly frustrated with it I unloaded the thing... then I got a 10/22. I'll never be without one again. I hope your story goes differently.

There is a reason they sell so many 10/22's and why there is so many after market parts, they work!

Good luck to the OP with his new purchase. :up:

I have one I bought several years ago at Bass Pro. They ran a sale on the package with the scope. When I got there they didn’t have any left so they sold me one with their Redhead scope for the same price.

It’s the most accurate .22 I have ever shot. It was so accurate it was boring and I sold it to my BIL. I recently got it back when he mentioned selling it and I told him I would give him back what he paid.

It’s one of the truly goods deals in my opinion. I would put mine up against .22 builds costing several hundred dollars. I think the package was on sale for $149 plus tax.

I never had any issues with mine, but I keep it clean well lubed and only use CCI mini-mags.

I think you will be happy with it.

Well we sorta got off the OP's original line here with the 10/22 commentary. But that's normal for us.  lol

I did own a 597 with a thumbhole stock for a while, a beautiful brownish red laminate one. It had a Tasco 3x9 scope on it that was pretty good. I wasn't a Leupold, but I wasn't a great shot either.

Anyway, shot a few hundred rounds with it, with a few ejection problems. Seemed like every other mag, I'd have one or two. Yes I did have a couple of the 10 round plastic mags, so that could be it.

The rifle was accurate, and fun, but a bit less dependable than I liked. I sold it at a gun show that same year.

When we agonize for those well-researched first purchases with hard earned money it always hacks me off when supposedly a reputable company sells a product that does not run 100% and they do it over and over.  However, I had a .22Mag 597 once and it worked well until the day I traded it. Which is amazing for all the troubles the .22Mag version had.  I say use the 597 as both a shooting and "gunsmithin" learning tool.  Get it running right and then think about what you might want to do with it.

go here for good advice and lessons learned:  http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=218

Edited by graycrait

Thanks for the Feedback.

Seems comments agree with what I have read on the internet. Problems with older models and mostly OK with newer models and newer magazines. (or when ejector was replaced on older models). 

We shall see If I am sorry I did not buy the 10/22 or a Marlin (I considered). I have yet to shoot the Remington 597. 

Tomorrow (2-19-16) is the day I hope  to go to the range. Nice weather (60F as high) and I plan to ride the Scooter with the 597 Rifle, 22 Pistol, and BB Rifle to the range for a shoot. Shoot mostly the 597 and the BB rifle (when I have shot up 22 that I can afford to shoot HA!) 

I did receive the four magazines from Cheap AS Dirt in mail yesterday (they have the 10 with circle on them). Loaded them up as best I could, they have a dang tight spring. I can only get 8 rounds in two of them and 9 rounds in the other two (really had to force the ninth). I have about decided to not worry about it and live with 8 rounds ALL THE TIME. 

Edited by PAULSHOOT

I finally got to shoot the New Remington 597 today.

Bore sighting by Dick's Sporting Goods was way off ( say 6 to 8 inch high and 6 to 8 inch to right). Finally got it sighted in (scope) and had decent results considering my skill levels.

Anyway, more about performance. I had 5 clips loaded with 9 rounds on 2 and 8 rounds on 3 (all I could force in the 10 round clip). I reloaded 3 clips after shooting the first 5. So, I guess 66 rounds and one I put in chamber manually on a clip that had 8.

I had one jam when loading from a clip (near end of the clip). No other problems.

I don't see a way to post pictures on here of targets or I would. I did post pictures on East TN Bikers Site  cause I post all MC rides on that site.  Look there if you desire (assume the link works for you).  

http://easttnbikers.com/index.php?topic=7048.0

Glad you got it running!

Just one point, for future reference: boresighting generally doesn't work in such a way that one would expect to hit the bullseye - or even be that close, reaaly - but to simply try to get the scope and barrel close enough to be on paper at the range. From there you can dial the optic in to the bullseye. It's just meant to take a little headache out of things to get started, ajd maybe save a little ammo trying to find the target. It sounds like the folks at the shop did a fine job. :-)

I don't like other dudes pawin' my guns so I don't let the countermonkeys boresight for me. I don't mind a lot of shooting, either. If I'm shooting a standard bolt gun, I pull the bolt and do it this way:http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=92827

Otherwise, start close... 25 yards even. Get close. Move to 50 yards. Bring it back in. Go to 100. Bring it in again.

Welcome to the shooting sports! You'll have tons of fun one minute and wanna pull yer hair out the next. Ain't it great!?!

PaulShoot,

If the rifle is shooting OK, then now it is finding the ammo that works best in that rifle.  It is an odd thing but .22 rifles even off the same assembly line will often like different ammo.  This is the fun part.  Most of the guns will shoot minute of squirrel head at 50 yards, but finding the right combo that shoots minute of squirrel eye at 50 yrds is the fun part.  If that doesn't amuse you then I think you have a rifle that will work well for you the rest of your life.

Shooting minute of squirrel head  2" at 200 yrds is really fun.

Craig in Clarksville, TN

Thanks for feedback.

Papa Cap comments on Boresighting reminds me --- The Dick's Sporting Guy guy said, "Should get you on the paper."  I thought he was just pulling mu leg. He was right -- 6 inches or so off.  I guess I thought it would be dead on.

What I was shooting today was brick (550 count for just under $40) of Remington Thunderbolt (I think I remember the name)  I bought in Dec 2015 after buying the Ruger SR22 Pistol.

Also had a few rounds of Hollow point (guess 5) in one clip. I think the hollow point is CCI.

Would have to go look at the boxes to know I have the name right.   

Edited by PAULSHOOT
Ammo makes a big difference. A .22 needs every bit of power it has to operate reliably in a semi-auto. In my opinion CCI Mini Mags is the best there is (without getting into match ammo); I grab them every time I see them on the shelves. They work the best in every .22 I own.

I have shot some of the bulk boxes (Remington, Winchester) that would be hard to eject in my S&W 617; that tells me they will be problematic in a semi-auto. I have never had the CCI do that.

One thing I found peculiar was that my 597 groups tighter with CCI hollow points that it does with CCI solids. You would think it would be the other way around; but I just go with it.

Thanks Dave -- Interesting.

I tend to go cheap on AMMO if it half works. So far mostly using the 500 Remington Thunderbolts (I thought it was 550 for some reason, but had the box out today and it is 500 - all just loose in the box).

Not much experience on the Rifle (597) as I just bought it - had one jam (fail to load) with say 65 or so rounds yesterday. 

Have had one fail to load and one no-fire using the SR22 Pistol I bought in Dec 2015 with say 300 rounds from that (Remington Thunderbolts).  

Update 02-25-2016 -- Ran another 40 rounds thru it with friend at Bud's Range last evening. No problems.

I am loading only 8 in a magazine (one of the five I have takes with some effort and a couple take 9 with some effort, but nearly impossible with the others to get oevr 8 rounds). So, I decided to do 8 as magazine latches easier and don't wear my thumb out loading. Plus I limit shooting expenses and typically 40 rounds (5 magazines is enough).

Then go to 22 pistol for a couple magazines (not so much anymore as find it less fun that the rifle) and finally the  BB Rifle for as many as my arm will let me pump. HA!. ($.0.0013 per round) :-)   

Edited by PAULSHOOT

Stopped by Bud's (Sevierville Hwy 66) on the way to an errand. Saw the same 597 I bought (20 inch with scope combination) for $199.

I think  Bud's has mis-priced it at the 20 inch no scope price of $199, Or, offering one heck of a buy, or I got took when I bought mine at Dick's on Sale for $229 (Retail is $239). I did have a $20 coupon from Dick's, so was $209.

I had checked at Bass Pro before I bought mine and an open sight 20 inch barrel with no scope was $199, and Bud's has the 16 inch short barrel (Heavy Barrel) with no scope for $189 which is retail.

Just passing this on for information in case someone is interested. I do think the $199 for the 20 inch scope combination is a buy (if you want a Remington 597 - I realize some folks don't have high opinion of the 597).  

Am I wrong?