New to Tennessee

Hi Folks,

I've been lurking around the forums for a while and just decided to join after applying for my HCP. I have learned a lot from reading these forums and I appreciate all of the knowledge.

I moved to Memphis from Arizona last year and have been shooting and hunting my whole life. I have a great field dog, but I haven't quite figured out how dog training and hunting works in Tennessee. I could really use some help locating some state land that would allow me to shoot pigeons and such to keep my dog (and me) from getting fat. So far, besides the high fee for a carry permit, I absolutely love Tennessee. I was born in the Midwest and never got used to the sand and cacti of Phoenix. My great grandparents were born here and it's kind of neat to think that it took four generations for us to come back. 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and welcome.  Contact your local conservation officer[ game warden] and he can tell you about any public land nearby. He can possibly put you in touch with private land owners also. I'm about 130 miles north east of Memphis and always enjoyed bird hunting but am to old to do the walking anymore. Mississippi should have some very good quail hunting also. You're not far from Ames Plantation where the bird dog field trials are held. Good luck.

Welcome -- Can't help on the looking for a place to hunt as not into hunting since my youthful days in SE MO.

As a matter of fact , I have not been into guns or shooting since then and only owned a shotgun until I got the bug in DEC, 2015 for a 22 Pistol and now a BB Pistol and Air Rifle, and a 22 Rfle I just bought and have not shot.

I mostly just target shoot (primarily at a Forest Range for a $2 Fee) and have much fun with the BBs in a basement range (some cardboard and old carpet for a backstop and cheap bullets, BB's, that I can afford to shoot.

Good luck on the hunting an finding a place.  My guess is Nation Forest during season, but I do not know the rules on that. Check with a Forest Rangers Office.