HB0682 No Gun Sign Bill

So how am I supposed to know if someone had a posting up before Jan 1 2015 that's now not conforming to the law? It's really like they are TRYING to make us break the law by making impossible to tell if we are actually breaking the law. Honestly, I don't think this helps clear up a conforming or non conforming posting until Jan 1 2018!

Any sign that was conforming (pretty much any sign), will still be conforming until 2018.

My rule of thumb is any sign I see is legal because I understand the property owner’s intent. If I don’t see it; it probably isn’t legal under any version of the law.
  • Like 2

I've not been following this closely, so I have a few questions.

What is the new legal posting sign supposed to look like now?

Would a rules sign like malls have that say no weapons (guns and knives), but do not have a "legal" posting under TN Law be null and void? Or would that be considered a legal posting, too?

Placement of these legal no gun signs, do they have to put it right on the door in plain sight?

Because I went to the Cheesecake Factory a good while back, looked at the door and around the entrance, but didn't see a gun buster sign and proceeded to pack my pistol in there while I ate. But when i was on my way out, I looked above the door (literally at the top of the front door frame on the inside of the entrance) and there was a fricken legal no gun sign. Pissed me off...

The whole Jan 2015 clause makes the law just as unclear.  It seems like this law is never used, but it is a bad law that could be used by someone on a power trip to hassle an otherwise honest person.  

The time spent on changing up these sign requirements could have been used to just remove the law or at least remove the criminal penalty, but I guess there just wasn't much desire on the NRA's part to actually help people with permits.  This kind of bill and other supposedly pro gun bills moving through the legislature are just proof that no one really wants to make it any easier on people carrying with permits.

• Like 2

I just don't go to places that are posted. No need to patronize a place that is restricting my rights. 

I try not to, but I can't write all of them off.

I wish it were that easy.  

Edited by JohnC
  • Like 1

Yeah good luck trying to avoid posted places in downtown Nashville or downtown Memphis.  If you do any business at the state or local government buildings or hospitals you may not be able to legally carry.  I guess if you do everything in a small town and just go to Wal Mart, it's easy to avoid posted places because there aren't any.

This kind of bill and other supposedly pro gun bills moving through the legislature are just proof that no one really wants to make it any easier on people carrying with permits.

The fact that Bo Mitchell was a co-sponsor of the bill told me all I needed to know.

Yeah good luck trying to avoid posted places in downtown Nashville or downtown Memphis.  If you do any business at the state or local government buildings or hospitals you may not be able to legally carry.  I guess if you do everything in a small town and just go to Wal Mart, it's easy to avoid posted places because there aren't any.

I wouldn't call Chattanooga a small town.  Since getting my TN permit I have found only 1 place in the Cleveland / Chattanooga area I couldn't  carry in and it was of all things a pizza place.  All the doc office I have gone to aren't posted.  Pretty much every places we have gone out to eat even those around hamilton mall no signs.  I am sure their are places that are marked but so far I haven't found many.  Now I have read that the touristy area's of the city are marked as well as in Nashville and Memphis but I haven't gone into those area's in the 9 months I have been living in TN.

Thanks

Robert

Edited by rmiddle

Senate Judiciary Committee 1

Amendment No. 1 to SB0774

Kelsey
                                                           Signature of Sponsor

AMEND Senate Bill No. 774                                                              House Bill No. 682*

by deleting from subdivision [b] [3] [B] in the amendatory
language of Section 1 the word "red" wherever it appears
AND FURTHER AMEND by deleting from subdivision [b] [2] [B] in the
amendatory language of Section 1 the language "a black image" and substituting instead the language "an image".

AND FURTHER AMEND by deleting Section 2 in its entirety and substituting instead the language:

SECTION 2. This act shall take effect July 1, 2016, the public welfare requiring it.

Our friend Chairman Kelsey deleted the "red" requirement for the image as well

Edited by Worriedman

Senate Judiciary Committee 1

Amendment No. 1 to SB0774

Kelsey
                                                           Signature of Sponsor

AMEND Senate Bill No. 774                                                              House Bill No. 682*

by deleting from subdivision [b] [3] [B] in the amendatory
language of Section 1 the word "red" wherever it appears
AND FURTHER AMEND by deleting from subdivision [b] [2] [B] in the
amendatory language of Section 1 the language "a black image" and substituting instead the language "an image".

AND FURTHER AMEND by deleting Section 2 in its entirety and substituting instead the language:

SECTION 2. This act shall take effect July 1, 2016, the public welfare requiring it.

Our friend Chairman Kelsey deleted the "red" requirement for the image as well

Does the red and black really matter? Will it make it that more visible?

I really don't care what color the signs are, nor what background color they're contrasted against.  Standardization in that isn't really important.  I just want them large enough so I can read them at eye level on my way in the door.

Yeah and this is what the republican super majority will claim as a 'pro gun' bill and why they should be re elected to help further our gun rights.  They could have done more but it is obvious they did not want to do more.

Edited by 300winmag

Yeah and this is what the republican super majority will claim as a 'pro gun' bill and why they should be re elected to help further our gun rights.  They could have done more but it is obvious they did not want to do more.

I wouldn't count this as a "pro-gun bill," more of an administrative clarification than anything else.  Not saying it wasn't a good thing, but if a legislator tries to tell me it's proof they are pro gun, I'll ask them where is their bill, or one they co-sponsored that would allow me to carry inside their office in Nashville.