Altoids Artic tin last ditch kit

I just put together a last ditch emergency 'better than having nothing' pocket kit based around an Altoids Arctic tin.  These tins are smaller than a regular Altoids tin and open at the (flip top) endcap rather than across the body of the tin.  Compared to a regular Altoids tin:

IMG_20160229_114656.jpg

This is in no way an 'extensive' kit but it is pretty compact and fits easily in the pocket of the Dockers I wear to work.  The original intent was just to use the tin as a small, pocket fire kit for EDC but once I got started it grew a bit beyond that.   By filling the tin and then adding a few things to the outside of it I was actually able to fit a decent amount of supplies.

Altoids 'Arctic' mints tin with match striker glued inside lid x 1

Contents:

Small piece of fatwood x 1

Waterproof matches x 5

Orange bank line, ~5ft. on metal bobbin

Acetaminophen 500mg each (extra strength) x 4

Caffeine tablets 200mg each x 4

Diphenhydramine HCI (generic Benadryl) 25mg each x 3

Promethazine (generic for Phenergan) 25mg each x 4

Band-aid plus antibiotic 1 inch x 3 inch x 1

Band-aid plus antibiotic 3/4 inch x 3 inch x 1

Small fishing float x 1

Fishing line, 10lb. monofilament, ~24 ft. on metal bobbin

Fish hooks, baitholder size 6 x 3

Fish hooks, baitholder size 4 x 3

Round split shot sinkers size 3/0 x 6

'Bream Getter' artificial lure x 1

Small 'zipper' closed plastic bags x 2 (one containing medications and one containing fishing gear.)

IMG_20160229_241115019.jpg

Attached to tin exterior:

IMG_20160229_114343.jpg

Piece of adhesive backed 180 grit ceramic blend sanding disk stuck to side of tin for possible field maintenance of knife edge (hopefully I'd at least have my EDC Spyderco Resilience with me.)

IMG_20160229_114239.jpg

Black bank line x 10ft

Bright green, narrow Duck brand tape - basically narrow duct tape - x 3ft (thin plastic film from sanding disk placed over sandpaper to protect surface from tape adhesive)

3 inch curved upholstery needle x 1

IMG_20160229_114025.jpg

Jute twine x 3ft

IMG_20160229_113654.jpg

Mini Bic disposable lighter x 1

I made a conscious decision not to include a blade in the kit.  I did, however, modify one side at the bottom of the tin so that it is sharp enough to easily abrade through the fishing line and can, with a few passes across, abrade through the bank line.  I did this by crushing the rolled edge flat using pliers on a multitool and then sharpening it a little with sandpaper, a diamond stone and a leather belt.  It isn't really 'knife blade' sharp, more like the level of sharpness left on a can lid by a standard, electric can opener.

IMG_20160229_114540.jpg

One of the bicycle inner tubes I bought for making ranger bands is a little wider than standard.  I cut two, wide pieces from it and with some effort and a bit of foul language was able to stretch them - one horizontally and one vertically - around the whole setup.  This should make the package fairly water resistant if not outright waterproof:

IMG_20160229_113553.jpg

Side view

IMG_20160229_113423.jpg

Front view

The final package is pretty small.  In fact, I don't think it is as wide as a pack of cigarettes and is probably about as 'thick' as a cigarette hard pack with a Bic lighter in front of it.  My hands aren't small but they are also a long way from 'Shaquille O'Neal' hands and it easily fits in my palm:

IMG_20160229_112621.jpg

I may eventually make a paracord pouch to carry it in, possibly with enough room to include a micro multi-tool or something similar in the pouch alongside the kit.  I am under no illusions that this is a fully outfitted survival kit.  I carry a lot more things in a SOG slingpack that I EDC to work and most, other places.  As I mentioned, above, this is simply a 'better than having nothing' setup I can have in my pocket in case I don't have access to anything else.  I wanted to post this up because I think the various commercial and DIY kits are interesting and I hadn't seen many pocket kits based around this type of Altoids tin or done exactly this way.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 7

Cool.  I have the makings of fire-starter tins using old Crossman pellet tins on my workbench, just haven't finished them off yet. 

I'd like to see what you come up with.  Those round Crosman pellet tins might also work for making something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rodoqNlf-cE

I haven't tried that, yet, but only recently came across that video.  I have bought some of the Nivea tins used in the vid (I have very dry skin and have to use lotion, anyway) but haven't emptied any of them, yet.  There is also a 'Nivea for Men' tin that is larger, about the size of those tins that pellets come in.

I'd like to see what you come up with. Those round Crosman pellet tins might also work for making something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rodoqNlf-cE

I haven't tried that, yet, but only recently came across that video. I have bought some of the Nivea tins used in the vid (I have very dry skin and have to use lotion, anyway) but haven't emptied any of them, yet. There is also a 'Nivea for Men' tin that is larger, about the size of those tins that pellets come in.

My plan is dryer lint mixed with some magnesium shavings. I'll put a bit of silicone grease on the threads to help keep moisture out.

That stove is neat, but kinda complicated. This one is really simple. I've made several and they work great. Use HEET in the yellow bottle as fuel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ui8t3pivqtk Edited by peejman

Thanks for the comments, folks.

My plan is dryer lint mixed with some magnesium shavings. I'll put a bit of silicone grease on the threads to help keep moisture out.

That stove is neat, but kinda complicated. This one is really simple. I've made several and they work great. Use HEET in the yellow bottle as fuel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ui8t3pivqtk

Yeah, the Nivea stove is a bit complicated.  What I like about it (and the Altoids tin stove the same guy makes in another video - that one is fueled with wood) is that it all fits into a nice, neat little package that can be carried in a pocket.  Those cola/beer can stoves are certainly neat and I have made one of them (fueled it with fingernail polish remover - man that made a hot flame!)  For something that isn't quite 'pocket portable, though, I like buddy burners.  I have made three of them, so far - one with cardboard and wax, one with cardboard and animal fat (just poured any excess bacon grease, etc. I had in it) and one with tightly rolled rags from an old sheet fueled with 91% Isopropyl alcohol (kind of like a kerosene lantern, etc. the rags char/burn to a certain point then pretty much only the fumes from the alcohol actually burn after that.).  All three were made using small Christmas tins (with lids) that  I got on after-Christmas clearance at Dollar General.

Edited by JAB

Thanks for the comments, folks.

Yeah, the Nivea stove is a bit complicated.  What I like about it (and the Altoids tin stove the same guy makes in another video - that one is fueled with wood) is that it all fits into a nice, neat little package that can be carried in a pocket.  Those cola/beer can stoves are certainly neat and I have made one of them (fueled it with fingernail polish remover - man that made a hot flame!)  For something that isn't quite 'pocket portable, though, I like buddy burners.  I have made three of them, so far - one with cardboard and wax, one with cardboard and animal fat (just poured any excess bacon grease, etc. I had in it) and one with tightly rolled rags from an old sheet fueled with 91% Isopropyl alcohol (kind of like a kerosene lantern, etc. the rags char/burn to a certain point then pretty much only the fumes from the alcohol actually burn after that.).  All three were made using small Christmas tins (with lids) that  I got on after-Christmas clearance at Dollar General.

A friend has a little camp cup with lid that the beer can stove fits in perfectly.  Keeps the can from getting crushed and is functional for cooking stuff in. 

Neat little survival stoves aside, I've got cans of Sterno stashed all over the place.  They're cheap, convenient, and they work.

Edited by peejman
Wow! Some excellent ideas here, and great work. I just love seeing what other members come up with. I had never thought to add some duct tape to the outside of the container. Great way to add a useful item with little to no extra bulk!
I used to know a guy that made one from a Sucrets tin. He kept a cigarette a book of matches and one bullet for his EDC pistol. He says if things got so bad he was relying on a lozenge tin full of supplies...well..time to go.
He was a trip. Lol!

I've made several of these over the years. Good job.
  • 2 months later...

Wow! Some excellent ideas here, and great work. I just love seeing what other members come up with. I had never thought to add some duct tape to the outside of the container. Great way to add a useful item with little to no extra bulk!

On that note, one trick I learned elsewhere on the web is to take an old credit card ( people tend to leave old gift cards laying on top of the gas pumps) and wrap duct tape ( I use gorilla tape when I can) around it. It really makes for a smaller package for a bug out bag and you don't have to take the whole roll. Say a 1/3 of a roll wrapped on a credit card is MUCH smaller than a whole roll in it's original packaging.