Georgia Passes College Campus Carry

While we can't seem to make much headway with our legislature for people with permits, it looks like the Georgia legislature passed college campus carry.  This will especially help students who attend college at night in urban areas.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/state-regional-govt-politics/georgia-passes-campus-carry-bill-legalizing-guns-a/nqjH4/

Of the states surrounding TN where you can carry legally at a college campus with a license, this will add Georgia to Mississippi (enhanced permit), Alabama, Virginia, Kentucky, and Missouri.

Edited by 300winmag
  • Like 1

From the link:

The legislation would allow anyone 21 or older with a weapons license to carry a gun anywhere on a public college or university campus, except for inside dormitories, fraternities and sorority houses, and at athletic events.

I guess this means you have to live off campus to be able to protect yourself ?? Sounds like discrimination to me.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

I guess this means you have to live off campus to be able to protect yourself ?? Sounds like discrimination to me.

If we're going to split hairs and complain about the things we can do, handgun carry permits alone are discrimination.  If you have one, you can.  If you don't, you can't.

• Like 1

If we're going to split hairs and complain about the things we can do, handgun carry permits alone are discrimination.  If you have one, you can.  If you don't, you can't.

Ok, after rereading my post, I can see how it might be misinterpreted. I left off the [url=http://postimage.org/]icon_rolleyes.gif[/url] at the end. The point I was making was that no matter what is done nowdays, someone is going to scream discrimination.

Just two a few years ago, all campus carry was torpedoed.  The legislators and GeorgiaCarry.Org must have spent some quality time finding out what exactly were the objectionable parts of previous bills, because this bill sailed through the Senate smoother than any of the other gun rights bill before.  In previous years, we had to deal with the Lt. Governor refusing to call bills to the floor, petulant conference committee Senators, and attempts at poison pill amendments or neutering of previous bills.

If this bill becomes law, then those students (21-years and older who have a Georgia Weapons Carry License) who live in student housing will have to keep their guns in their cars, which is what they are allowed to do now.  I suspect that this will affect a very small percent of the student dorm population, although at UGA they did have "family housing" for married couples.  

Once it is law, then perhaps the dorm provisioned can get overturned on the basis of discrimination, but on the whole, it is a major win for us in Georgia.  If you have every been to downtown Atlanta, you may have seen that the magic invisible boundary between GSU and the city is elusive.  With this bill, that will no longer be a concern.

The arguments from the opponents of the bill were farcical; according to them, all the 21-year old GWCL-holding students are hot-headed, alcoholic, pot-smoking fiends who are liable to shoot someone over a bad grade.

• Like 1

From the link:

The legislation would allow anyone 21 or older with a weapons license to carry a gun anywhere on a public college or university campus, except for inside dormitories, fraternities and sorority houses, and at athletic events.

Give me a shot to carry at the Tennessee Legislature, even if I can not keep it any apartment I rent around the LP...

While we can't seem to make much headway with our legislature for people with permits, it looks like the Georgia legislature passed college campus carry.  This will especially help students who attend college at night in urban areas.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/state-regional-govt-politics/georgia-passes-campus-carry-bill-legalizing-guns-a/nqjH4/

Of the states surrounding TN where you can carry legally at a college campus with a license, this will add Georgia to Mississippi (enhanced permit), Alabama, Virginia, Kentucky, and Missouri.

Any progress on this is good. I hope that we can make this progress in TN as well someday soon.

These folks would be who to team up with on the issues: http://concealedcampus.org/

Yeah we don't have a very pro 2nd amendment legislature and any improvements are slow.  It took several years just to get the park carry law straightened out.  But things are better here carry wise than several years ago when you couldn't carry in most decent restaurants or in any park.  The car carry law was also a big improvement for people without permits.

• 1 month later...

The Governor waited until literally the last minute (nearly 5 pm on the last day that he could) to veto this bill.  He has always been lukewarm on gun rights.  Today, he bowed to the wishes of some of his most vocal critics in the last election while ignoring those who supported him.  The NRA spent several hundred thousands of dollars to get him re-elected.

He also vetoed another bill that, among other things, would have allowed a person who recently moved to Georgia the ability to carry using their old state permit for 90 days after becoming a resident.  So now, if any of you with a TN HCP moves to Georgia, you might have to wait anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months (depending on the county) before you can legally carry outside your home, car, or office.

He has betrayed us.

The Governor waited until literally the last minute (nearly 5 pm on the last day that he could) to veto this bill.  He has always been lukewarm on gun rights.  Today, he bowed to the wishes of some of his most vocal critics in the last election while ignoring those who supported him.  The NRA spent several hundred thousands of dollars to get him re-elected.

He also vetoed another bill that, among other things, would have allowed a person who recently moved to Georgia the ability to carry using their old state permit for 90 days after becoming a resident.  So now, if any of you with a TN HCP moves to Georgia, you might have to wait anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months (depending on the county) before you can legally carry outside your home, car, or office.

He has betrayed us.

Sounds like a good time to petition a recall vote. Does Georgia have that option? Also write your state reps, tell them if they want your vote to start opposing the Governor on issues he wants, make him angry, embarrass him, it's politics so get down and dirty. We all know that works better than being civil.

BTW, spent a lot of time in Georgia, Benning and Stewart in the past, have an aunt and 2 cousins who reside in Georgia, Savannah. 

Edited by K191145

It's a Presidential election year, where the base turns out in droves for primary votes, and it's fresh in every-bodies mind if their local legislator supported a gun rights bill...  it use to work that way here before Harwell became speaker.

Just two a few years ago, all campus carry was torpedoed.  The legislators and GeorgiaCarry.Org must have spent some quality time finding out what exactly were the objectionable parts of previous bills, because this bill sailed through the Senate smoother than any of the other gun rights bill before.  In previous years, we had to deal with the Lt. Governor refusing to call bills to the floor, petulant conference committee Senators, and attempts at poison pill amendments or neutering of previous bills.

If this bill becomes law, then those students (21-years and older who have a Georgia Weapons Carry License) who live in student housing will have to keep their guns in their cars, which is what they are allowed to do now.  I suspect that this will affect a very small percent of the student dorm population, although at UGA they did have "family housing" for married couples.  

Once it is law, then perhaps the dorm provisioned can get overturned on the basis of discrimination, but on the whole, it is a major win for us in Georgia.  If you have every been to downtown Atlanta, you may have seen that the magic invisible boundary between GSU and the city is elusive.  With this bill, that will no longer be a concern.

The arguments from the opponents of the bill were farcical; according to them, all the 21-year old GWCL-holding students are hot-headed, alcoholic, pot-smoking fiends who are liable to shoot someone over a bad grade.

Sounds like the GA governor is just another lite Democrat that doesn't care much for gun rights.

He originally was a Democrat; so was his next likely replacement, the Lt. Governor.