Rifle inscription used against officer in court

Interesting... amazing what a lawyer can do w/ a jury....

Reminds me of the topic of 'no trespassing' signs, as it's something I'm looking into (acquiring some acreage). I've heard it said that it's ill advised to post threatening verbiage on Posted signs (e.g. Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again), as it can be used to suggest pre-determined intent rather than a forceful suggestion to GTFO my property...

As someone acquiring acreage that's been un-inhabited for many years, and showing signs of hunting-use, adjacent to public land, I have to admit, the notion has given me pause for thought. Maybe I'll just post a few near where we plan on building? (Personally I just love that one, and 'if you can read this, you're in-range') Then again, I plan on building a berm for my personal 'range' near the 'public' corner, perhaps that will be enough of a message to potential trespassers...?

- K

Go to your local agricultural extension office and get a recommendation on posted signs the must be every so many feet and one visible from anywhere they might cross onto your property. never underestimate the stupidity of the general public, they will come onto your place even with posted signs but the posting should help you win all lawsuits an idiot who shoots his-self hopping your fence bring against you

Couldn't the same argument be made for using defensive ammo?  

possibly but one very good thing about most defense ammo is that it wont over penetrate, and a good defense lawyer can make your ammo choice a way of protecting innocent bystanders from standard over-penetrating rds

Go to your local agricultural extension office and get a recommendation on posted signs the must be every so many feet and one visible from anywhere they might cross onto your property. never underestimate the stupidity of the general public, they will come onto your place even with posted signs but the posting should help you win all lawsuits an idiot who shoots his-self hopping your fence bring against you

THanks!

I actually got in touch with them already, and will get them out on the property as soon as we close on it!

- K

Couldn't the same argument be made for using defensive ammo?

Theoretically. In fact, I think that is why some 'experts' (Ayoob, maybe?) recommend that folks find out what ammo is issued to local law enforcement and carry that. I think the idea is that it might be harder to paint someone as a bloodthirsty maniac carrying extreme ammo that only a crazed killer would carry if it is the same stuff that the local police, Sheriff's Dept., etc. is issued for duty ammo. I'm not sure how much stock I put in that but folks have obviously thought of the possibility, at least.
  • Like 1
  • 3 years later...

I saw the video of this shooting for the first time today. I don’t know how I missed it before or when it was released but I don’t think I have ever seen and heard a video show a murder so clearly. It’s amazing to me this guy got acquitted.

But I’m pretty sure his gun inscriptions pail in comparison to what he says and does in the video.

I won’t link it here because it is graphic. But if you want to see it the title is “Body-Cam Video Of Daniel Shaver Shooting”.

• Thanks 2
20 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I saw the video of this shooting for the first time today. I don’t know how I missed it before or when it was released but I don’t think I have ever seen and heard a video show a murder so clearly. It’s amazing to me this guy got acquitted.

But I’m pretty sure his gun inscriptions pail in comparison to what he says and does in the video.

I won’t link it here because it is graphic. But if you want to see it the title is “Body-Cam Video Of Daniel Shaver Shooting”.

They made the argument that when Shaver reached behind him they thought he might be reaching for a gun. He was most likely just pulling up his pants which were falling down from crawling towards them.... 

This (in my opinion) was an avalanche of one poor decision after another where a drunk dude is pointing a pellet gun out the window of a hotel room (never a good idea) , the cops then give drunk guy conflicting commands (and you wonder why he is slow to comply?) , the cops are (in my opinion) afraid to go physically put the guy in handcuffs (let Brailsford be the cover man, order Shaver to lay flat with palms out and the other officer go cuff him) , and then finally Brailsford is quite possibly a trigger happy sociopath. 

Mas Ayoob's presentation at the Rangemaster Tactical Conference in 2018 showed the whole video and discussed why inscriptions on your carry gun might not be a great idea (if they are not there it is one less thing to have to answer in court) and why Brailsford did not get convicted because of the "reach for something" movement when Shaver tried to pull up his shorts.  

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke