2016 Spring Turkey Season thread

A place for us turkey hunters to post updates, stories, and successful hunt pictures.

My first hunt will be Ft Campbell this Saturday. I got the same area I opened with last year. I hope I am better situated this year. I chased them around the area last year, but couldn't close the deal.
I'm looking forward to it! I was sitting in my tree stand on the last day of deer season when the flock walked under me. I've been jones'n for it since then :)

I have a new Double Bull blind to try out too. My youngest daughter (8) has taken a huge interest in it, so I'm hoping for a fun season.
  • Like 1
Couldn't get the bids to play yesterday. Had some public land interference off the roost, then it was slow. Back at it again today.

"So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out in to the street."
  • Like 1

This will be my first season. During deer season about a hundred flew in and landed right in front of my blind once. About half that many another time. Here's hoping they make it that easy when it counts.

I'm guessing the deer will be the ones you'll see when you go and not birds. They seem to know the hunting season calender. :)
  • Like 3

I'm guessing the deer will be the ones you'll see when you go and not birds. They seem to know the hunting season calender. :)

No doubt. A few years back I was hunkered down in a makeshift blind calling. Heard a dog barking, getting closer. Through the woods he comes with a doe a hundred yards ahead. Doe jumped right over me. About scared the crap out of me and the doe.

Homeagain, I had a similar experience once a few years ago. a spike was chasing a doe and she sort of gave him the slip. She cut around the hillside and he stayed on the ridge top. Anyway I was in a makeshift blind too. He was coming at a good clip, and got to about 10 feet from me. I had to wave my arms to stop him from running over me.

I got skunked at Ft Campbell. Birds were still in the woods, not really fired up. Sunday was a decent day, till we got caught out in a down pour/hail storm. Can't wait for next weekend.

"So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out in to the street."

Didn't get to hunt Saturday due to being out of town Friday night. However, got out this morning and while things didn't go exactly as planned, I got a bird in the fridge.

We set up blindly, but near a know roost area. When they fired up, they were on every side of us and I know I heard 10 different gobblers. They henned up quickly, but we kept working them. Around 7:15 two long beards walked in to our set up. I took careful aim and shot the lead bird at about 30 yards. 3.5" #4's knocked him off his feet, but I hit him low. He got up and ran off, me emptying the gun at him. We searched the woods and briar patches, but didn't find him. I was down on myself and questioning my sights, shells, choke choices. Guess I pulled low on the shot, but still felt it was enough lead and close enough it should have kept him down. My partner left to go to church and I stayed to look some more.

While walking the woods, rustling the leaves caused another bird to fire up. I eased to the field edge and called in a flock. Shot this one at 20 yards and didn't pull the shot low.

I hate losing wounded game.

16cd323acb8f9a1ffab5577689113b8a.jpg

18c10085251dddf5eb80c9ed14bee247.jpg

• Like 3

Didn't get to hunt Saturday due to being out of town Friday night. However, got out this morning and while things didn't go exactly as planned, I got a bird in the fridge.

We set up blindly, but near a know roost area. When they fired up, they were on every side of us and I know I heard 10 different gobblers. They henned up quickly, but we kept working them. Around 7:15 two long beards walked in to our set up. I took careful aim and shot the lead bird at about 30 yards. 3.5" #4's knocked him off his feet, but I hit him low. He got up and ran off, me emptying the gun at him. We searched the woods and briar patches, but didn't find him. I was down on myself and questioning my sights, shells, choke choices. Guess I pulled low on the shot, but still felt it was enough lead and close enough it should have kept him down. My partner left to go to church and I stayed to look some more.

While walking the woods, rustling the leaves caused another bird to fire up. I eased to the field edge and called in a flock. Shot this one at 20 yards and didn't pull the shot low.

I hate losing wounded game.

16cd323acb8f9a1ffab5577689113b8a.jpg

18c10085251dddf5eb80c9ed14bee247.jpg

Nice bird!! did you weigh it?

Went with my nephew this morning, these two birds flew across a creek we were set up next to and went straight to beating up on our jake decoy.

Doubling up on those turkeys with my nephew will be a great memory for both of us.

image_zpsyd92mwjd.jpg

Edited by BrasilNuts
  • Like 6

Went with my nephew this morning, these two birds flew across a creek we were set up next to and went straight to beating up on our jake decoy.

Doubling up on those turkeys with my nephew will be a great memory for both of us.

image_zpsyd92mwjd.jpg

That's awesome.  Congrats!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
5231a5534c30915986aba99fe7a66a60.jpg
b4791147ca0126b714bc36908bffaaa8.jpg

Got a pretty good one opening day in Kentucky. Then the proceeded to kick my butt today. Hope to get in several days of hunting this week.

• Like 1