Petition for Open Carry at the Republican Convention

Just over 41k signatures as of my posting. 

https://www.change.org/p/quicken-loans-arena-allow-open-carry-of-firearms-at-the-quicken-loans-arena-during-the-rnc-convention-in-july-2

While I think this might be the only thing left that could add to the "must see TV" element if we have a brokered convention, I highly doubt it happens, but still, it's interesting.  I do wonder what they are talking about with Gov. Kasich and "executive authority to override the "gun-free zone" loophole."  Maybe there is a quirk in Ohio law, maybe the person who drafted the petition was talking out of their ass...who knows.

Edited by btq96r

A better question is how can the Secret Service declare any location in the US under it's control and prohibit the carrying of guns?  How large of an area can they declare a no gun zone?  Can the RNC refuse Secret Service designating their event?

Why not demand that Congress (which is republican controlled) pass a law allowing firearms to be carried at the RNC convention?  I doubt Obama would veto such a bill since it would be limited in scope to a private meeting.

Even better, why doesn't the republican party site selection committee, pass a resolution that they will only hold conventions in the future where members are allow to carry?

Something is really wrong with the Republican Party, rotten to it's core.

As one would expect, the Secret Service has already shut this down:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/secret-service-no-guns-allowed-republican-national-convention-n546926

Cheers,

Whisper

I'm fine with the arena as a private entity declaring their venue off limits to guns.  Private property is private property.  I'm fine with the RNC declaring the convention off limits to guns if their contract with the arena doesn't prohibit that, since the convention is a private event.  That might not be the smartest move politically given their base, but it's not wrong from a legal perspective.  What I'm not fine with is the Secret Service getting to put a gun-free radius around whoever they happen to be providing protective services for.  That's the government infringing on the lawful carrying of arms by those vetted by the individual state, or states in the case of reciprocity. 

The Secret Service can give all the pre-packaged statements they want about security, and the event being secure.  They can't guarantee 100% safety, and as a protective services provider, the only ones they have to care about protecting are individuals under their protection.  In other words, out of the thousands of people attending the convention, only a handful will be protected by the Secret Service, who will ultimately have control over pretty much anyone working security for the event.  Everyone else just has to hope things work out for the best.  Not exactly how the idea of individual protection works.

• Like 1

Guess who started the petition.....

Jim is a self-described liberal Democrat who intends to vote for Hillary Clinton should she become the Democratic nominee. 

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/surprising-source-of-gop-convention-guns-petition/

Yea I heard that about who started the petition. What would be the media's and liberal's response if a conservative had pulled some deceitful stunt like that directed towards the democratic convention?