re: Cell Phone Gun; Shooting USA host Jim Scoutten - Anti-gun??

Why do these guys feel they need to open their mouths?

http://www.wsmv.com/story/31671789/gun-disguised-as-phone-worries-law-enforcement

You would think since he is a reporter for a pro shooting show he would at least not go anti anything gun related.  I seem to recall another popular writer losing his job over something like this...SMH.

http://outdoorchannel.com/showhosts.aspx?show-id=985

I personally don't have any interest in a .380 cell phone gun, but I have no problem with these being out there on the street.  To borrow from Pastor Niemöller; First they came for the novelty guns, and I did not speak out......

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do these guys feel they need to open their mouths?

http://www.wsmv.com/story/31671789/gun-disguised-as-phone-worries-law-enforcement

You would think since he is a reporter for a pro shooting show he would at least not go anti anything gun related.  I seem to recall another popular writer losing his job over something like this...SMH.

http://outdoorchannel.com/showhosts.aspx?show-id=985

I personally don't have any interest in a .380 cell phone gun, but I have no problem with these being out there on the street.  To borrow from Pastor Niemöller; First they came for the novelty guns, and I did not speak out......

i don't know that I really heard anything anti-gun come out of his mouth, except he thinks he is dumb and "internet click bait." I also heard a quick blurb about carrying NFA paperwork, which presumably dealt with if the ideal conceal is classified as a AOW by the ATF. The interview was cut up enough that you couldn't tell what the actual question was that he was responding to.

I personally don't get the ideal conceal either - there are plenty of pocket pistols the same size that are better options, and there are two shot derringers that are much smaller. It doesn't look like it would be that quick to draw either, since you have to fold the grip down before firing. I am curious to see the production model in real life.

The "safety" concerns are overblown though. Try reaching for just your cell phone during a traffic stop and see what happens.

Edited by M1_Garand

i don't know that I really heard anything anti-gun come out of his mouth, except he thinks he is dumb and "internet click bait." I also heard a quick blurb about carrying NFA paperwork, which presumably dealt with if the ideal conceal is classified as a AOW by the ATF. The interview was cut up enough that you couldn't tell what the actual question was that he was responding to.

I personally don't get the ideal conceal either - there are plenty of pocket pistols the same size that are better options, and there are two shot derringers that are much smaller. It doesn't look like it would be that quick to draw either, since you have to fold the grip down before firing. I am curious to see the production model in real life.

The "safety" concerns are overblown though. Try reaching for just your cell phone during a traffic stop and see what happens.

In the actual news clip, he was quoted as saying something like "nobody needs these guns" , "its a dumb idea" and "those helping fund these are out of their mind" as well as calling it "click bait".  IMO its just not a good idea for a gun writer/reporter to end up looking like you are on the same side as the ATF and Chuck Schumer against any gun issue.

In the actual news clip, he was quoted as saying something like "nobody needs these guns" , "its a dumb idea" and "those helping fund these are out of their mind" as well as calling it "click bait".  IMO its just not a good idea for a gun writer/reporter to end up looking like you are on the same side as the ATF and Chuck Schumer against any gun issue.

Go back and re watch the clip. The reporter says "Jim Scoutten says there is no need for a gun that looks like a cell phone," cut to Scoutten saying "its a dumb idea." He never actually says it, nor do they give his reasons why he thinks its a dumb idea.

The way the media manipulates information, I'm not going to crucify the guy unless it actually come out of his mouth.

Not trying to crucify him; but I don't think its a media spin, The quote was something like:

There are already many ways to hide a deadly weapon, which is why Shooting USA host Jim Scoutten said there is no need for a gun that looks like a phone.

And he has had controversies in the past such as when he declined to cover an event on his show, which is his prerogative, but then he went on to dismiss as not TV worthy many classes of events.  Its fine that he does not want to cover it, but why not just stop there and not belittle it and other events describing them as "unacceptable" or  "Alarming"?

So what, in my judgment, is not acceptable for prime time national TV?

1) Camo worn by any competitor in any match, except active duty military events, reenactor events, or history segments. (Knob Creek fails the test, as does the SOF annual competition.)

2) Wearing any clothing, T-shirts, etc, that carry offensive statements or images, or T-shirts with ripped off sleeves.

3)Shooting up anything that is not recognized as a shooting sports target. (Full auto fire on a school bus takes out Knob Creek. Same test failed the old 2nd Chance Bowling Pin match, when they machine-gunned propane tanks.)

4) Sniper Competition Events that allow participation by civilian teams. There is no way to explain civilian snipers to the public.

5) Any event that requires an extraordinary expense by a viewer to become involved. (Full auto events are, at best, an expensive curiosity, and can not extend our invitation to “get involved”)

None of this is to suggest that I disapprove of any of the fun and legal activities we choose not to cover for TV. They are exactly that––fun and legal.

But our greater purpose is to do no harm to our gun rights, to put nothing on TV that could alarm the anti-gunners.

Each week we portray shooters as responsible gun owners, from all walks of life, enjoying organized sports, frequently as families enjoying time at the range.

I guess it just irks me when so called pro-gun celebrities come out on national TV/media and decry any type of weapon of event.

Not trying to crucify him; but I don't think its a media spin, The quote was something like:

And he has had controversies in the past such as when he declined to cover an event on his show, which is his prerogative, but then he went on to dismiss as not TV worthy many classes of events.  Its fine that he does not want to cover it, but why not just stop there and not belittle it and other events describing them as "unacceptable" or  "Alarming"?

I guess it just irks me when so called pro-gun celebrities come out on national TV/media and decry any type of weapon of event.

He had three excerpts taken from what was obviously a longer interview. About all I could gather from it was that he doesn't like the design, thinks its click bait, and questions the wisdom of financially backing it. The rest of the piece, was respectfully, pulled together in the editing room with a lot of spin from the reporter. Nothing there indicates he thinks the gun should be banned, or he is anti 2nd amendment.

I don't know that I've ever seen his show, but that wasn't implicated in the original post.