Checkout this Black Bull Roanoke Bass.

We call them Redeyes around here but they are Roanoke Bass (Ambloplites Cavifrons). The males guarding the bed are black.  Pound for pound this is a fighting little critter. I just spent the last three days wading this little stream in North Carolina catching Redeyes, River Robins, Blue Gill and Largemouth but the Redeye is the prize. A one pounder is a trophy and the world record is 2Lbs 11oz. I caught several that were better than one pound, This Black Bull was just under a pound (they are thick). They are native to only three river basins, the Chowan, Roanoke and Neuse and only grow in the upper reaches of the river where there are rapids and swift water.

DcZ0Udk.jpg

Edited by Will Carry
  • Like 7

Great catch for sure. I do know they are somewhat rare and not found in very many places. They are kin to the Red Ear Sunfish better known as Shell Crackers. The Bull males in the Shell Crackers also turn very black during the spawn and guarding the beds. I love to catch Shell Crackers during the spawn but I don't keep any females or any smaller males. I will keep one if it is close to 1.5 to 2 pounds and will filet easy. I think they taste better than Crappie..........jmho on the taste. If my Son in law gets day off soon we will go looking for a big Shell Cracker bed and get some good eating......... :up: 

• Like 1

My mother grew up living next to a mountain stream that flowed out of Greenbrier section of the Smoky Mountains (10 miles east of Gatlinburg).  She said she and her brothers would catch many red eye, but only after dark and with a fire burning next the river bank.  When I was old enough to camp on my own, me and my little brother tested her story.  100% true, we caught maybe ~8 that.  Similar size to what is in the OP picture.  Great fighters.  That's been 30+ years ago, now I would like to do it again.