Large caliber pump action rifles...

I know Remington has one in 30-06, always wondered why they never caught on. Is it because of the lockup, not as strong as a bolt action? A pump/slide action is faster than a bolt and easier to keep a sight picture on target but my only experience of course is with shotguns. 

It's just something I have been wondering, why aren't there more pump rifles besides the .22's? There's got to be a practical reason.

The Remington 7600 makes a pretty good deer stand/brush gun.  I think they still make it in .30-06, .270, and .308.  A buddy had one in .243, so I know they had other offerings in the past.  

Not sure why they don't get more love.  I would really like to run across a .308, but I have never seen one.  

The Remington 7600 makes a pretty good deer stand/brush gun.  I think they still make it in .30-06, .270, and .308.  A buddy had one in .243, so I know they had other offerings in the past.  

Not sure why they don't get more love.  I would really like to run across a .308, but I have never seen one.  

There has to be some reason more manufactures don't make them.

I know someone that has a nice 7600 in 30-06. It's a sweet and handy deer rifle. Pretty accurate, but the recoil seemed a little stout next to my 30-06 I was shooting that day. Mine weighed a bit more though (sporterized 1903 with scope). I don't know why we don't see more pump rifles. I don't know if I would ever go looking for one personally over my bolts, semi's and levers, but they are kind of a nice alternative to a lever.

There has to be some reason more manufactures don't make them.

Probably just demand vs manufacturing costs. 

Browning made BPR for 4-5 years, so I assume (always dangerous) lack of sales led to its demise.  

Savage made a few pump rifles, I had one in 30-30. It wasn't very accurate. A friends 7600 in 30-06 didn't shoot near as good as his bolt gun did. That's my only experiences with them.

That's my understanding as well.... they were marginally faster than a bolt gun, noticeably heavier, and not terribly accurate.  Hence, not real popular. 

Savage made a few pump rifles, I had one in 30-30. It wasn't very accurate. A friends 7600 in 30-06 didn't shoot near as good as his bolt gun did. That's my only experiences with them.

That's what I was thinking that you can't get a tight bolt lock on a pump as you can a bolt action and could affect accuracy. Of course a shotgun is not as critical as a rifle. Heck I really don't know for sure, i'm no gunsmith. The pump action would be faster to manipulate and you wouldn't have to remove your hand off the grip.

I had the Rem 760 in .270. Shot good, but it rattled. The lock up was the regular multi lug remington style used on their 740, 788, 600 series, in calibers up to .350 mag. (3000 fps w/ 200gr, 2500 w/ 250 gr.). 

Edited by 79troublehead
I had a 7600 on 3006. Not a bad gun, but it never shot as well I wanted it to. It was an OK brush gun but heavier than a lever action and there was little bennifit to 3006 below 100yds. It wasn't accurate enough to give me confidence past 200yds. It rattled and clunked, was a pain to mount a proper shooting sling on, and was a bit critical of ammunition length for feeding reliability.

It was replaced with a marlin 336 in 35rem, and a savage 110 in 3006 and I never looked back.

It would be a good choice for someone that can only have one gun for some reason. There was nothing really wrong with it it just didn't fit my needs. I think a lot of people find the same thing out, but there are a lot of guys that love them and won't use anything else either.

Different strokes for different folks...
You keep saying it would be faster than a bolt action but very few shooters care about that. The advantages of a bolt gun come with tight actions, precise lookup, the option of free floating barrels, and simplicity in a gun you do not have to lift from the bench to chamber the next round. If a shooter is going to sacrifice any of those they are just going to an auto feeder.
  • Like 1

I have to agree about the speed vs accuracy bit.  I normally don't shoot more than one round, so it needs to be accurate. On the follow up shot, if needed, I could take a couple of extra seconds since its usually to dispatch a critically hit deer.  For shotguns, on dove, yes you want that pump action; no auto for me, waste too much ammo :blush: .

Iv never owned a 760 series but I'v had at least a dozen or so across my bench for scoping or cleaning or sighting in. Unlike the semi auto counterpart, the 7600 is an outstanding design. Its very smooth and incredibly reliable. Once I cleaned one that was never cleaned since bought new. some 30 plus years of hard hunting on it. Dropping the FCG, bits of pine cone, grass seeds, tree bark, sticks... you name it, it was in there and the action still functioned just fine. The only real weak spot is the extractors. When a chamber picks up any pitting or hot reloads fired, that's when the extractors can give it up most of the time.

As far as accuracy, they run the gamit. One time I had the opportunity to sight in a brand new 76 in 30-06. The cheaply finished 76 had just came out and looking at it I didn't expect much. I bore sight before I do a range run and then shoot for group before any adjusting. Well, that nasty looking thing printed a 100 yd 3 rnd clover leaf that had all three holes dam near touching! Surprised the hell out of me with a factory box. If I were to look for one that shoots like a bolt more or less, it would be an old carbine in 243. They keep the 30 cal barrel profile minimizing barrel whip. Now they only make em in 06, 308 and 270. Up in PA they cant hunt with semi's and the 760's rule as meat guns there. If your ever up there on I-78, stop in the Cabela's there in Hamburg, they all ways have at least 15 of them on the floor rack to paw over. I think as the price of them shot up over the years to the now $915 retail, I can see why the market is what it is.  

Edited by xtriggerman

The colt lightning didn't sell near as well as the Winchester lever guns.

I think nostalgia has quite a bit to do with it.

However, I for one, would LOVE a .45/70 pump rifle.

Im with ya on the 45-70! Iv got an old Marlin model 17 (fixed barrel) that's still slated for a Springfield load 45-70 conversion. Love a challenge

Anybody remember the IWI Timberwolf?

One of my few "lust" guns. Pretty much an 870 sized down for revolver calibers.

I haven't seen it but I'm assuming it's similar to the Colt Lightning pump rifle? Reproductions are made of those.

I haven't seen it but I'm assuming it's similar to the Colt Lightning pump rifle? Reproductions are made of those.

No external slide, bottom load. Even safety and slide release are like an 870. Similar in size to the smaller 20ga frames.
9bc88428b87e2debcb710d6fadafa99f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Browning made the BPR for 4 years as someone mentioned earlier.  I just recently sold one in .30-06.  It was a fine rifle.  They discontinued it because of lack luster sales.    A bolt action is going to be more accurate. a semi auto rifle will have less recoil so it was a hard road to hoe for the pump rifle.

• Like 1