Also moving to Tennessee

Hello everyone, 

My wife and I are moving from Minnesota to Butler, TN in June.  We've been vacationing in the area for about 8 - 10 years and decided to move. I won't miss the Minnesota winters, taxes, bad roads and liberal politicians.  

I'm pretty new at being a gun owner.  I think when I receive my TN drivers license, I will go buy another handgun, just because I can (without needing a carry permit or permit to purchase a handgun). 

We might even take up fly fishing. 

The plan is to rent a house in Butler, find work (Bristol, Kingsport, Johnson City area) then buy a house with a few acres. Hopefully with a good spot for a pistol range. My wife loves shooting our 9mm. Said we might need to buy a S&W Governor, just in case she sees a snake.  ;-)

Bill

• Like 1

Welcome, you picked a great part of the state to settle. We picked this area after looking around the Eastern side of the state on a couple of vacation trips. We moved from Western NY last June for exactly the same reasons you are moving. My only regret is I didn't do it years ago. We had so many people asks us why that we finally shortened the reply to "Less: Winter, Taxes, Government" We started looking in the Bristol/Kingsport area but by the time we found what we wanted we were South of Jonesborough about 10 miles. A place to shoot on our own land was high on my list of wants and ended up with a place that I can shoot off  my back deck. I had a great realtor in Kingsport if you need a referral. He spent many days over two trips driving us all over the area. By the second or third day he knew what we wanted better than we knew ourself. He went out of his way to show us where things were we might need after we moved. When I found this place online he drove out to look at it and take additional pictures of things he thought were important to us and told us this was the one and not to take to long planning our next trip.

On 5/11/2016 at 9:18 AM, Bill5335 said:

I'm pretty new at being a gun owner.  I think when I receive my TN drivers license, I will go buy another handgun, just because I can (without needing a carry permit or permit to purchase a handgun). 

I came from Maryland around 11 months ago.  The first time I went in showed my DL and walked out with a handgun was amazing.  In Maryland you had to fill out 4 copies of extra paperwork took more than 30 min to fill out.  Then leave the gun and return 8 days later sometimes longer.  I had 1 gun took over 6 months to get the paperwork back.  Nothing like living in America since I moved to TN.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we made it safe and sound.  Tomorrow  ( June 7) out "stuff" will arrive .  Hope to have it all unloaded by Friday. At least coming off the truck will be downhill.

Already met one gal with a carry permit.  She will let us know next time she goes shooting.