New Hunting Rifle - Kimber Mountain Ascent

I picked up a Kimber Mountain Ascent in 308.  The Mountain Ascent is the lightest production bolt action big game rifle available today.

It weighs 5lbs 5ozs.  It is really light.  It has a  kevlar/carbon fiber stock.  The barrel is luted.  The bolt is spiral fluted with the bolt handle hollowed out to remove more weight.  Have not shot it yet.  I have to figure out what glass to put on it.  I can't decide if I want a silver scope to match or a black scope for the contrast.

Here are a couple of pics.

IMG_2533_zpscgfglbd3.jpg

IMG_2535_zpsxkixnxcb.jpg

Edited by KahrMan
  • Like 5

Obviously, a lot of very nice machine work went into that rifle. The only issues you might have is noise and kick. If the muzzle break holes are drilled with a rear ward angle, the kick will be lightened but the noise will be significant. Even without reward pitch of the holes, those side blasters increase noise and in some cases you can even feel the muzzle blast on your face. If you don't already have a good pair of electronic ear plugs, get some before you head for the woods.

Other than that, I love the fact they use a M70 safety. my all time favorite and you cant fault a 308 for a great game caliber. With that slung on a walk, I'd be touching it regularly for fear I left it on the ground at the last pit stop! Good luck with it!

13 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

Nice! I'm not familiar with the Mountain Ascent. Does it have a CRF Mauser/M70 type action like the Montana? Sweet looking rifle!

Same action as the Montana.  Here are the specs from Kimber

Specifications

• Approximate weight: 5 pounds, 5 ounces
  • Overall length (inches): 43.75

Barrel

• Material: Stainless steel
  • Length (inches): 24
  • Twist rate (right hand): 9.5
  • Fluting, muzzle brake, match grade chamber

Trigger

• Adjustable, 3.5-4 pounds (factory setting)

Stock

• Material: Kevlar/carbon fiber, with Optifade™ Open Country
  • Recoil pad: 1-inch Pachmayr Decelerator pad
  • Length of pull (inches): 13.75
  • Drop at heel (inches): 0.54
  • Drop at comb (inches): 0.43
  • Pillar and glass bedding

Action

• Type: 84L
  • Material: Stainless steel
  • Magazine capacity: 4
  • Like 1