Boat mechanics needed!!!

I'm going to try and rebuild a trim unit on a 95 Johnson 50 hp. I have it loose except for the wires, and for the life of me, I can't seem to figure out how to unplug them. I don't want to cut them and splice back together if I don't have to. Do you know?

• Like 1

Turns out dreading it was worse than doing it. $90 for a rebuild kit beats the hell outta $1600 for a new trim unit!:eek:

Might as well go on a replace the water pump while it's in the garage.:drunk:

I can't get the lower unit off the motor. I took out 5 bolts from underneath it, and it'll drop down about 1/2", and will go no further. Any ideas what's holding it?

I thought this would be the easy part.

Edited by gregintenn

There should be a small coupler on the gear-shift shaft. You'll have to remove the lower bolt before the lower unit will drop loose. Try shifting it from forward to reverse & look up at the top of the shaft. You'll see it right near the casing joint in the least accessible place possible. Obviously.

• 1 month later...
On May 22, 2016 at 4:31 PM, robtattoo said:

There should be a small coupler on the gear-shift shaft. You'll have to remove the lower bolt before the lower unit will drop loose. Try shifting it from forward to reverse & look up at the top of the shaft. You'll see it right near the casing joint in the least accessible place possible. Obviously.

Yeah. I see part of the linkage, but not where you'd take it apart, Surely you wouldn't have to take a carbeurator off to get to it!

59 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

It recomends Johnson Trim Fluid be used...........

I assumed you'd fill it to the fill plug level with the motor in the down position. You wouldn't want to raise the motor then fill it would you?

Transmission fluid. I still haven't figured out how to properly bleed the unit. It halfway works, but there's still air in it.

I watched a video on you tube it showed to fill it in the up position,lower it,then raise it back up, and repeat four to give times to get all the air out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

• Like 1
Just now, jeremymcneece said:

I watched a video on you tube it showed to fill it in the up position,lower it,then raise it back up, and repeat four to give times to get all the air out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

There my be my problem. Thanks.

• Like 1
On 6/28/2016 at 3:00 PM, robtattoo said:

It should just have 2 through bolts. Remove the lower bolt & The unit 'should' come free. It's easier if you swear at it a lot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Your advice was spot on! Thank you.

I had to take the starter off before I could even see the linkage. With an assortment of wobble joints and extensions, I was able to get it loose. We'll not talk about getting it back together, but your suggestion of using swear words was taken to heart.

A boat mechanic will be performing this task next time.:wall:

Whoever designed that makes a man rethink his views on abortion!

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1