Semi LGS Issue

Lets say like most of us here you collect firearms. You have a few favorite haunts. Let's say you have a nationally known store that is fair drive away. The opposite direction of where you always go. Thus even though it is 45 minutes away from your home, it is theoretically an hour and a half away from where you work or otherwise shop.

Now let's say that of the last fifteen firearms transactions you have had you have had three delays. All three of the delays are at the exact same store. Yes, the one that is 45 minutes or double away from where you spend most of your time. The delay is always given the go ahead within 24 hours. But it is ONLY at this one store.

Would you continue to shop at this store?

I understand the laws and regulations, and I didn't lose my cool or anything. At this point I wasn't even surprised when it happened. I just told the woman that I would await their call the next day, but that I doubted that I would return as the distance and time was not worth the hassle to me.

For the sake of conversation it as an FEG HiPower Clone in fair shape at $350. I want/wanted it pretty badly, but I am rather frustrated with dealing with this particular shop, regardless of their great prices and selections. The staff has been professional and in all my visits there I have always been treated well. However I am tired of making two trips for every purchase.

Opinions?

I think that would depend on a few things; 

The three delays, were they the only transactions at that LGS?

What where the delays, background check related?  If so are they using/spelling your correct info vs the other LGS?

Are the prices/guns worth the hassle to you?

Yes, the three delays have been the only firearm transactions at the LGS. I have bought other items with no issues at all. Yes, the delays were background check related. Not a denial, but a delay, which have all been approved within 24 hours.

Honestly I think that they are misspelling my information. I didn't come out and say it but the it was mentioned by the woman who entered my information "I just entered what you had written down..." 

The price on the gun is $100 less than a similar (nicer) model at a much closer LGS that I do much more business with. My wife seems to think that the extra $100 is worth no hassle.

And what's the cost of travel, maybe eating out because of the travel, etc.

I as wonder if the delays are all the same, are they learning from this? Does anyone in management know? This sort of thing raises my hackles because it makes me wonder about the quality of the record keeping over all...

• Admin Team

Are they using a computerized system to do the background checks?  I'd be willing to bet if you checked a printout of the form you'd see a mismatch on either your name or address vs. what they're expecting via your SSN. I expect the feds are using at least some of the same structure that the banks and credit bureaus use to do identity validation. An address mismatch will throw a flag. 

They've got your information saved and as such, it's throwing the same error every time. I bet you could get them to correct it next time you go in.  My future patronage would depend on it. 

• Like 2

Do they do it electronically or call it in?  They copied your form?  If they used the computer, they just enter your driver license number. It auto populates most of your info except state of birth.   And TICS doesn't use the delay code.  Really strange.

I live in Kentucky. It is NICS here, not TICS. I never had an issue with TICS. And the only issues I have had with NICS is with this one store.

To be honest, after thinking about it, and visiting their website, they are selling the same pistol for $100 less on the website. Which is $200 less than Cabelas. I could go in to the store and press the issue, but I am thinking of letting it be and keeping my business at the four shops, that while also being much closer, have also treated me well and don't give me issues. 

It hurts to walk from a good price, but as I have gotten older, I have learned the value of good service.

Edited by Murgatroy
  • Like 2