S&W M&P in back pocket: Interesting sight

So I was in line in a quick mart yesterday.  The guy in line in front of me had on a pair of jeans.  His right rear pocket was stuffed - something I couldn't identify and a S&W M&P.  The grips and the rear of the gun were completely sticking out.

I couldn't decide whether to be concerned that he would shoot himself or not as some kid will snatch it and run soon if he makes a habit of that.

That's the other part I was thinking about - where he would shoot himself.  I settled on the cheek as well!

So I was in line in a quick mart yesterday.  The guy in line in front of me had on a pair of jeans.  His right rear pocket was stuffed - something I couldn't identify and a S&W M&P.  The grips and the rear of the gun were completely sticking out.

I couldn't decide whether to be concerned that he would shoot himself or not as some kid will snatch it and run soon if he makes a habit of that.

So which model did he have stuffed in there?

You should have told him that if he was going to carry by just stuffing it in his pants he should choose appendix carry so that he could gain more street cred.

I never understand why people even attempt to carry like that. When I was at Walmart last week I got behind a guy in the checkout line that was carrying a s&w 4046  in his back pocket in the same manner. I kept waiting for that "brick" to fall out and hit the floor.

• Like 1

I'll take bets that many on this forum can tell the difference between the sound of a polymer frame pistol, and a steel frame pistol hitting the floor from 50ft in a walmart...

This sort of thing gives us a bad reputation, very sad.

I was in a Chinese restaurant in Gallatin three weeks ago and noticed a guy whose sidearm was upside down, trigger pointed towards the ceiling, in the holster with the muzzle pointing  directly behind him.  He was muzzle sweeping the entire restaurant as he walked to and from the buffet.  I still can't figure out how that particular carry method was supposed to be beneficial to him.

7 hours ago, cmsmith712001 said:

I was in a Chinese restaurant in Gallatin three weeks ago and noticed a guy whose sidearm was upside down, trigger pointed towards the ceiling, in the holster with the muzzle pointing  directly behind him.  He was muzzle sweeping the entire restaurant as he walked to and from the buffet.  I still can't figure out how that particular carry method was supposed to be beneficial to hi

I'm trying to figure this one out as well - how he would draw the gun with it being upside down.  Was it a shoulder holster? 

22 minutes ago, Pete123 said:

I'm trying to figure this one out as well - how he would draw the gun with it being upside down.  Was it a shoulder holster? 

I'm picturing a small of back holster, Galco makes one, it's not the most popular but not extremely uncommon. I'm guessing he was wearing it at 3:00-ish instead of 6:00.

image.jpeg

Edited by nightrunner
Add pic
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, shotgunshooter said:

Poor soul was probably carrying a 40. If he had time to pull it out it probably would have detonated in his hand.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comms, is that you? :wave: 

I too seen a character with a gun stuffed in his back pocket at Walmart, only the corner was sticking out but I couldn't id it.  Must be a trend, unless it was the same guy.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Pete123 said:

You are correct that it was at the 3:00 position.  It was in a belt holster similar to the picture that you provided, there was a few inches of slide/barrel sticking out of the dnd though. I simply cannot figure out how anyone could quickly and effectively draw from that position.  

2 hours ago, nightrunner said:

I'm picturing a small of back holster, Galco makes one, it's not the most popular but not extremely uncommon. I'm guessing he was wearing it at 3:00-ish instead of 6:00.

image.jpeg

I've got a Desantis like this that I use for my M&P compact 9. It's actually quite comfortable to carry, and I find it easy to draw. I wear in the 5 O'Clock position, and find that the upside-down and canted angle 'works' for my wrist. I can pull it out and get on target fairly quickly. I imagine carrying w/ the firearm oriented straight up-and-down would require more vertical draw, and my elbow and wrist start to ache just thinking about that movement. I've actually been looking for a replacement as my current holster is getting worn and 'sloppy'.

- K

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Pete123 said:

You are correct that it was at the 3:00 position.  It was in a belt holster similar to the picture that you provided, there was a few inches of slide/barrel sticking out of the dnd though. I simply cannot figure out how anyone could quickly and effectively draw from that position.  

I too seen a character with a gun stuffed in his back pocket at Walmart, only the corner was sticking out but I couldn't id it.  Must be a trend, unless it was the same guy.  

I am only half the mortal that Comms is. I said I would do my best to pick up where he left off in regards to 40 hate.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Omega said:

The one I encountered looked to be on his mid 50's and was dressed like a weird cross between a hippie and a biker.

• 2 weeks later...

This is only one of the idiotic things gun owners do that cause me to be the lousy hypocrite I have become.  I am a staunch supporter of everyone's rights.....but in my heart, I do not believe in it.  

It may get me flamed, but Constitution or not, not everyone should have a gun.  Even if you ain't a criminal or crazy...some people just don't need to be in possession of one.  

BUT, here's the rub, who the hell is ANYONE to make that decision for me or you?

Edited by Caster
  • Like 4

I have seen similar things and it is true that not everyone should exercise the right that they have. People do stupid things and sadly there is no test for this type of stupidity (or poor judgment). Luckily many people learn better judgment just like kids do. We can hope for that, and do our best to act responsible and lead by example. 

• 3 weeks later...

In light of this thread, I tried back pocket carry with a MK9 in a Desantis Nemesis and a gjohnsoniv original.

It can work, depending on attire. My opinion is a cover garment is required. Too easy to get your pocket picked, the holster has no retention beyond friction and with a two finger pull, you may not notice it's gone.

In my case, a sport coat / suit jacket gives the required extra length that an untucked shirt may not.

Get.a.good.belt. (it will change your gun carrying life)

With my unloaded gun, I practiced a bit. Guess I'm an idiot, because it doesn't  appear to be dangerous.

I don't actually sit on the gun either, with my pants at waistline, a quick adjustment as sitting allows the gun to ride with muzzle canter down, away from the back of glut or upper leg.

Not sure how sitting on it could cause a discharge if in a holster. The object would have to penetrate my pants, the pocket fabric and holster to press the trigger (important consideration since I  want a no / low snag - minimal controls kind of set up)