Best Pistol primer

While I realize this is probably akin to the 'ford vs. chevy' debate, I'm new to reloading and am in the market to purchase some primers. I got my first 1k rounds w/ CCI 500 sm. pistol primers as they were highly regarded (and what the store had for sale!) Unfortunately I've had a few primers not go off. They were struck, when put back in the gun they went bang, and I'll be the first to admit I'm new to reloading, so operator error is my first guess... however it's left me not being totally satisfied.

I'll be at/near a Cabela's store this week, and they carry a selection, so am interested in possibly trying an alternate brand.

I'm reloading 9mm rounds, should I consider a 'magnum' pistol primer? Is one brand more sensitive than another? What's the deal w/ "Match" Primers?

Appreciate any knowledge and experience you care to share.

Thanks.

- Kevin

Hey-I have used several brand name primers in small pistol.First off the bat-match primers are usually used in rifle cartridges for a more stable ignition to boost long distance shooting accuracy-pistols they are unneeded.Second-Magnum primers are usually used in pistols with a fairly large powder charge-more for a hotter ignition-in fact in a small charge case like 9mm they may create a over-pressure problem when getting close to max loading.I have used CCI,Remington,Winchester all with good success.Sometimes a no ignition problem can stem from the primers not being seated fully so the anvil is compressed.Make sure your primer pockets are all clean and the primer is fully seated.Of coarse there is always a possibility of a batch of faulty primers but highly unlikely.I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Good questions Kevin.

Primers have a varying degree of hardness. CCI being one of the hardest primers and that means some guns may be challenged at igniting them. I have a 686 S&W that truly struggles with CCI. Federal, then Winchester, in my experience are some of the easiest to ignite. Federal has been my favorite for a long time now...about 30 years. I've no issue with Remington but find their hardness level close to CCI.

That said, I've gone through about 20-K of Tula Small pistol primers over the past couple of years and had great success with them. I would caution to stay far away from "lead free" Tula as their ignition rate is deplorable...and they are temp sensitive.

I have also had good luck with Wolf and Wolf Magnum primers in 9mm and only noticed a few FPS gain using the Magnum primers. Negligible really.

I did contact Wolf and Alliant regarding the use of magnum primers several years ago and received their blessings for my 9mm use...pre-Sandy Hook but during an Obama-scare period. This was for a slightly compressed load of 5.7 grs of Unique under a 124 gr Berry's bullet.

The "Match" primers simply have a greater level of QC from what I understand. I've not noticed any difference in any of my chronoed loads by using Match primers.

MY Primer preference order for 9mm goes: Federal-Winchester-Tula/Wolf-Remington-CCI...but it's only a personal preference. Others most likely have differing preferences, and probably, experiences.

Try a few others out and see what suits you my friend.

Edited by prag

Most problems with primers are not seating fully, or seating so hard that the priming compound gets crushed. Yours worked the second time I'm guessing that maybe you didn't seat them quite all the way. They should be just below flush with the case head. 

Some primers are harder than others but I rarely have had problems with stock guns. Modified guns particularly double action ouen have difficulties some times but reducing  the hammer spring to far. 

Take it in stride and experience will give you the feel you need to make reliable ammo.

To answer your question the name brands ae all good with only slight variation between them. As a rule magnum primers are for magnum cartridges. Match primers are for match grade accuracy usually in rifles.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the info folks!

I was looking at the Sellier & Bellot...especially @ that price. LGS wanted $56/1k CCI's!!

I'll be in Bristol for work on Tues., so I suspect there will be a 'lunch break' in Cabela's!

Thanks again.

- K

The only primer I've used that I definitely would NOT recommend are PMC.

CCI, S&B, Winchester, Wolf, and Tula all were satisfactory.

The PMC's had a high number of ftf even with multiple strikes.

common pistol loads I use cci primers, never have an issue in stock sprung set ups. Make sure you are seating correctly. Post pics if in question - top and side. If you are not ignighting cci primers in a self defense weapon I'd be fixing the firearm. They are not crappy primers. My o2 

Edited by ohell
  • Like 1

My favorite is Winchester due to the softer cups, availability, and price. I don't like to switch brands, because I like the fewest possible variables if I have to troubleshoot a load. That being said, if S&B primers were easier to get my hands on, I'd consider switching brands.

I"ve used Win,Fed,CCI and Rem all with equal amounts of success.The only time I ever had a light strike issue it was due to primers being seated too high and that was in a Glock 21.Those same rds fired just fine in a 1911.If I had to pick a favorite it would be Remington due to the smaller packaging.

1 minute ago, et45 said:

I"ve used Win,Fed,CCI and Rem all with equal amounts of success.The only time I ever had a light strike issue it was due to primers being seated too high and that was in a Glock 21.Those same rds fired just fine in a 1911.If I had to pick a favorite it would be Remington due to the smaller packaging.

Surely you like that space saving design of the Federal primers...lol

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Raoul said:

Surely you like that space saving design of the Federal primers...lol

Federal primer boxes are to Remington primer boxes like Melissa McCartney is to her cousin Jenny McCartney

• Like 1

For 9mm I use regular small pistol primers. Magnum or match for special loads or to experiment with. Match primers are the top 1% of the run.

Just about any brand name primer with work and work well just pay attention to seating and things will work out.

I also use the cheapest for just range ammo and have not had problems.

Have fun reloading!

i buy whatever's the cheapest for all my shooting needs, range blasting and competition.  many mango seasons ago i would try to stay with the same brand, but found out by changing brands it did nothing to change the out come.  it all went bang and the bullet it the target.  so buy the cheapest and shoot on. 

2k of the Sellier & Bellot should hold me for a spell... $22/case! Will let you know if I have troubles.

They had a good deal on .22 there as well, so I grabbed 500 of those. And 500 of Berry's Bullets for 9mm....

Dang, gets more expensive every time I go shopping! LOL! :D

- K

• 2 weeks later...

Reloading savings?

If I do not buy any more dies, presses, powder, molds, bullets, cases, primers or other accessories, I should start saving money by 2029.  But in the meantime, it's never too late to have a happy childhood.