CZ Scorpion Carbine

BigK

13 hours ago, BigK said:

With sights this low, not many red dots will allow co-witnessing. The Bushnell TRS-25 is absolute co-witnessed with no riser. I wish it were .25" higher, so it would be easier to pick up. I've never seen a 1/4" riser, but I measured it and a 1/2" riser would be too high to see the sights at all.

Yeah, the lowest I could find was this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TWZFOC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It sits higher than the stock sights. I was hoping to find something that provides 1/3 co-witness, but oh well. Full co-witness was useful to get the TRS dialed-in, but it's now sitting on this mount. Which is fine by me since it's removed quickly should it fail and I need the BUIS. (I'm not an operator after all. :) )

The mods on my pistol are: HBI reduced trigger spring, HBI Delta trigger shoe, HBI Theta charging handle, HBI AK safety, Yetiwurks Everest grip, GVN VTS PTK angled fore-grip with thumb rest, Streamlight TLR-4, rubber rail covers, aforementioned TRS-25, and a Manticore 3-lug adapter. Once the forms clear with ATF, it will sport the OEM stock and a Ti-Rant with Triad adapter. 

Out of all these, the AK safety and trigger spring are probably the must haves.

If you like to meet up sometime to shoot, just holler. Can't do this weekend though, but likely the one after. It be funny to take a picture of the pistol with a tripod attached. :)

Edit: Uhg... Of course only if shooting an Evo pistol and an Evo carbine side-by-side can't be construed as constructive possession. :unsure:

Edited by Obiwan
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Obiwan said:

Yeah, the lowest I could find was this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TWZFOC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It sits higher than the stock sights. I was hoping to find something that provides 1/3 co-witness, but oh well. Full co-witness was useful to get the TRS dialed-in, but it's now sitting on this mount. Which is fine by me since it's removed quickly should it fail and I need the BUIS. (I'm not an operator after all. :) )

The mods on my pistol are: HBI reduced trigger spring, HBI Delta trigger shoe, HBI Theta charging handle, HBI AK safety, Yetiwurks Everest grip, GVN VTS PTK angled fore-grip with thumb rest, Streamlight TLR-4, rubber rail covers, aforementioned TRS-25, and a Manticore 3-lug adapter. Once the forms clear with ATF, it will sport the OEM stock and a Ti-Rant with Triad adapter. 

Out of all these, the AK safety and trigger spring are probably the must haves.

If you like to meet up sometime to shoot, just holler. Can't do this weekend though, but likely the one after. It be funny to take a picture of the pistol with a tripod attached. :)

Edit: Uhg... Of course only if shooting an Evo pistol and an Evo carbine side-by-side can't be construed as constructive possession. :unsure:

Of course, nearly all those upgrades are sold out now. Mine has that welded trigger pack screw that CZ promises to eventually swap out. I wonder if drilling out the welded one will void the swap opportunity?

I'm REALLY interested in meeting up to shoot, especially since you already bought every upgrade known to man. I'd love to see how much I need each one in person like that.

29 minutes ago, BigK said:

Of course, nearly all those upgrades are sold out now. Mine has that welded trigger pack screw that CZ promises to eventually swap out. I wonder if drilling out the welded one will void the swap opportunity?

I'm REALLY interested in meeting up to shoot, especially since you already bought every upgrade known to man. I'd love to see how much I need each one in person like that.

You can either drill it yourself, or send it to CZ-USA and have them replace it. I used a carbide bit on a dremel and a steady hand to drill mine. Although it wasn't welded, I couldn't get the collar off and stripped the screw. They must have locktited the heck out of it. I cut a groove into the screw head to used a flat head, and after drilling/grinding down the collar, was able to get it free. Have a replacement screw sitting here, but kinda like the flat head. :)

Alternatively, CZ-Custom makes a trigger replacement that seems to be cats meow if you like a really short reset. And it comes with a great trigger shoe, but is a bit pricey for my taste.

As far as upgrades, the light/laser is probably least useful to me, but I was curious how well the laser would work. I might take it off and put it on my 870. Some folks are giddy about the barrel cooler, are even painting it in hip colors, but it seems rather useless to me (unless you have a select-fire version of course). 

If you want to tentatively plan on next weekend, I'd be happy to shoot with you. I usually just go to OnTarget, but can meet you anywhere you prefer.

1 hour ago, Obiwan said:

You can either drill it yourself, or send it to CZ-USA and have them replace it. I used a carbide bit on a dremel and a steady hand to drill mine. Although it wasn't welded, I couldn't get the collar off and stripped the screw. They must have locktited the heck out of it. I cut a groove into the screw head to used a flat head, and after drilling/grinding down the collar, was able to get it free. Have a replacement screw sitting here, but kinda like the flat head. :)

Alternatively, CZ-Custom makes a trigger replacement that seems to be cats meow if you like a really short reset. And it comes with a great trigger shoe, but is a bit pricey for my taste.

As far as upgrades, the light/laser is probably least useful to me, but I was curious how well the laser would work. I might take it off and put it on my 870. Some folks are giddy about the barrel cooler, are even painting it in hip colors, but it seems rather useless to me (unless you have a select-fire version of course). 

If you want to tentatively plan on next weekend, I'd be happy to shoot with you. I usually just go to OnTarget, but can meet you anywhere you prefer.

I'm not especially crazy about indoor ranges, but I can do that, if you aren't interested in the TWRA range on Hobson Pike.

1 minute ago, BigK said:

I'm not especially crazy about indoor ranges, but I can do that, if you aren't interested in the TWRA range on Hobson Pike.

Never been there, but would like to check it out. TWRA it is! Let's continue the meet-up in PM and turn the topic back to your beautiful Evo carbine. :) 

4 hours ago, BigK said:

This is my absolute favorite after market safety selector. Worth the money. http://www.shop.gearheadworks.com/Scorpion-reverse-safety-lever-SCO-revsftyRH.htm

3 hours ago, Obiwan said:

I have diamond bits that will make quick work of this. I also have an extra screw. If you want, mail it to me and I can drill it out and replace the screw for free. Let me know. 

11 minutes ago, BLACKVANDRIVER said:

BigK have you seen these yet?  https://www.yetiwurks.com/collections/all

I really like the grips from them for the EVO

Heck yeah!! I want that grip pretty bad, but I'm holding off til I get to handle the one Obiwan has first. I just want to make sure it's enough of an angle change to justify the $60'ish. I also want their magloader too. I was very sad when I discovered that my Uplula didn't fit the mags.

13 minutes ago, Mindless-Focus said:

This is my absolute favorite after market safety selector. Worth the money. http://www.shop.gearheadworks.com/Scorpion-reverse-safety-lever-SCO-revsftyRH.htm

Honestly, I thought my Google-Fu was strong, but you have found a site I haven't even seen yet. You are right, that is THE perfect safety selector.

Edited by BigK

I've seen it, and admittedly not handled one. But given how hard/tight the safety is, I didn't think it would be as easy to manipulate. The longer AK safety makes it very easy while still having a very positive click.

I did consider grinding down the teeth on the safety cross-pin to make it easier, but I don't want it so loose that it's too easy to flip to the fire position.

Oh, and speaking of Yetiwurks products, check out his new mag pouches.

Thanks BigK for letting me shoot your carbine today! You got the TRS dialed in nicely. And I like the rubber plugs you got in the rail. Those provided for a positive grip while not being too pronounced. Of course the best feature was the stock. :)  (I guess I'll get my Form 1 for Christmas. :waiting:)

It was a pleasure meeting and shooting with you. Also thank you for the other toys you brought. The trigger on the Shadow is amazing. Talk about surprise-break. You just gotta think about squeezing the trigger and it goes off. :)

One of these days we should have an official TGO CZ fanclub meet-up. ;)

• Like 1
On 6/30/2016 at 3:55 PM, Mindless-Focus said:

I ordered that Gear Head Works safety Thursday night and it arrived Saturday all the way from Christiana, TN to La Vergne, TN...LOL

It feels fantastic! I was kind of leaning toward the long AK style safety that Obiwan recommended, but I like this small one better. Plus, it's aluminum.

40 minutes ago, BigK said:

I ordered that Gear Head Works safety Thursday night and it arrived Saturday all the way from Christiana, TN to La Vergne, TN...LOL

It feels fantastic! I was kind of leaning toward the long AK style safety that Obiwan recommended, but I like this small one better. Plus, it's aluminum.

Mind was supposed to be here Saturday as well, but bounced around 3 different post offices here in Memphis until it found mine. By then, it was too late. 

1 hour ago, BigK said:

Well, the AK style safety is aluminum too. :)

7 hours ago, Mindless-Focus said:

Shot my scorpion for the first time and had issues with it. Not sure I should post it here tho. Doing so on another forum got my posting priveledges revoked. 

CZ supported forum? If you don't trash the brand based on emition only and list out the issues there are some pretty sharp members here who could help you troubleshoot  

8 minutes ago, Gotthegoods said:

CZ supported forum? If you don't trash the brand based on emition only and list out the issues there are some pretty sharp members here who could help you troubleshoot  

Didn't bash. Here's my original post that got shut down.  

So, this happened today. I went to the range after installing my HBI springs and trigger shoe. Other than that and a new safety, it's straight out of the box. In fact, I barely put lube in it. The sear had no lube. The first 30 round mag went fine. The second was okay for the first couple rounds. Then, after my next pull, it does a 3 round burst. Thinking it was a fluke, I pull the trigger again and dump another 3 round burst. I pull it apart and check the seat and see its dry and put it back together. Pull the trigger a third time and 3 round burst yet again. This is an indoor range with an RO. I got red lined after that. Any one else have these issues?

I saw the thread getting closed, but I didn't expect them to revoke posting privileges. 

I assume you rechecked everything in the trigger housing, and tested it with just the trigger housing, not fully a assembled gun. That's certainly something you could do. Tear the trigger group apart, clean and lube, reassemble, and test trigger function with just the trigger group, not an assembled gun and firing.

Something is definitely not right. I personally would heed Armoredmans advice though and have a gunsmith check it out. Might be the safer and more legal option.

Yeah, I got a long PM after... Other posts I made after were deleted too.

i ended up doing just that. I stayed up way too late last night working on it and it comes down to two things. 

1. Since it had the factory oil on it and was tackier than normal oil, that could have stuck the disconnect and held it open. I've since degreased the whole fire control group. It functions just fine. Did the function test. Pull the trigger and hammer releases. Reset hammer and let go of trigger and it resets. Functions great. 

2. The HBI springs on mine may be too light and won't catch on after the blow back. This is my suspicion. 

Im going back to the range after work and am taking factory springs too. 

Also, it is assembled correctly. It fired 40 round perfect and accuracy is great. Otherwise, no problem.