AK Enthusiasts

Quite a few of us own AKs. Is this what you grab when there is a bump in the night or if the crap hits the fan? It seems like these days everyone has an AR but I don't see much love for the AK here. I know I sold my AR to get me an AK. So give me your reasons for owning the rifle and why you like AKs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm still in the process of building my first one. Polish underfolder. My "bump in the night" long gun is my 3gun shotgun. I've got a lot of practice with it, and it's never failed me. Holds 9 + 1

I'm looking forward to finishing my AK though. I need mags and ammo for it, and I better get on the ball with that.

nothing wrong with AKs. They are more fun to build than ARs. I wish they were more accurate. I put a scope on one I built to try and see what it would do. Maybe with some good commercial ammo or hand loads it would do better, but I was never able to get much better than about 5 inches at 100 yds. I still like them though.

I own a lot of AR's but only have 2 AK's so far. 

The Zastava M92 PAP is my go to weapon at home. You just can't beat the size, knockdown power for CQB, and the fact that it has more mag capacity than most pistols (Glocks, etc.). It's also serving as a backup vehicle gun.

Biggest reason for that is because it's smaller than an AR15 pistol and if it got stolen, it would be easier to swallow losing a $500 AK versus a $2,000+ Mega pistol with all the high end parts. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

I've trained extensively on AR-15's and like them but am also very agreeable to a folding stock AK for tight quarters such as homes. But neither are what I'd grab in the middle of the night if I needed a defensive weapon.

I was an AK guy for a long time. Collected them in pairs by country before they were cool. Which is great because the MAK 90s I paid $250 for now are getting $1k or more and the Arsenals and Veprs are even more ridiculous. Well made AKs are built like tanks and sewing machine reliable(which has a little something to do with the tapered 7.62x39 cartridge). They are also heavy, full of sharp edges and get really flipping hot. The 7.62 x 39 penetrates too much in my opinion for home defense as I have other people in the house to worry about but 5.45 is an option. I also have ARs and love the ergonomics and weight plus the 5.56 is a good round for home defense IMO. All that said, if something goes bump in the night then I am grabbing a Mossberg 590.

• Like 2

Fun range toys, and I wouldn't feel unarmed fighting with one... but thoroughly outclassed by the AR-pattern gun for social purposes.

Ergonomics are terrible, factory sights are terrible, optics mounting is a compromise at best, accuracy is marginal (mainly because almost all 7.63X39 ammo is cheap garbage.)

On 6/20/2016 at 2:50 PM, dcloudy777 said:
Fun range toys, and I wouldn't feel unarmed fighting with one... but thoroughly outclassed by the AR-pattern gun for social purposes.

Ergonomics are terrible, factory sights are terrible, optics mounting is a compromise at best, accuracy is marginal (mainly because almost all 7.63X39 ammo is cheap garbage.)

Wow, that's a bunch of ..... AR propaganda.[emoji6]

AR's are like trophy wives. The best they look is when they aren't yours. Expensive to maintain. Require immediate and constant upgrades and accessories. Need constant attention (maintenance) or they get whiny. The older they get the worse they look.

AK's are the girl next door. They get better looking with age, don't complain, and always get the job done.

Here's my go to!

3a60eb2890ed5b1e7f6453adb632baf0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Edited by Smith
  • Like 6

Why not have both? Unless you are afraid you would be conflicted for a few seconds not knowing which to grab and get shot. biggrin.gif

My go to rifle is an AR. But it’s a .308 AR so the AK doesn’t have anything to bring to the party…. For me.

Wow, that's a bunch of ..... AR propaganda.[emoji6]

AR's are like trophy wives. The best they look is when they aren't yours. Expensive to maintain. Require immediate and constant upgrades and accessories. Need constant attention (maintenance) if they get whiny. The older they get the worse they look.

AK's are the girl next door. They get better looking with age, don't complain, and always get the job done.

Here's my go to!

3a60eb2890ed5b1e7f6453adb632baf0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

That has to be the best altered version of James Yeager's "All Guns Should be Glocks" video.

Come on now Smith!  I loved the "ARs are like trophy wives" description, but really.....then you show us a photo of a Vegas showgirl.  Nobody has a girl like that living next door!

Hey even the girl next door gets lovin! Difference is, she doesn't need it or demand it.

I've got plenty of AR's as well, but the AK just feels like it has a soul. [emoji4]

• Like 1

I have both platforms as well. A few years ago I dumped both for the high maintenance rich girl. My go to rifle is a SCAR 17. I would still grab a shotgun to defend the house though.......fat girls try harder....lol

• Like 2

I love the AR vs AK hype train. I have been a member of TGO since about its beginning and I have been offline for a few years.I poke my head in to a thread and sure enough it is an old reliable topic. Men are not built for monogamy, buy as many of both as you can! 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Urse said:

I love the AR vs AK hype train. I have been a member of TGO since about its beginning and I have been offline for a few years.I poke my head in to a thread and sure enough it is an old reliable topic. Men are not built for monogamy, buy as many of both as you can! 

It's all good fun! In all honesty to me the difference between AR's and AK's is apple to oranges. It's like comparing a fast sports car to a purpose built 4x4. Two different animals that share the same roads.

I gotta shake my head at the "high maintenance" comments about ARs.  A shot of lube on the bolt/BCG every 4-500 rounds is not what I'd consider too burdensome.   :devil:

Shotgunshooter, that is a nice AK... but not exactly "stock".  :dirty:

Not my AK pistol. I'll have mine done here soon enough though.