Gun grabber silver bullet

I think the gun control crowd may have found the silver bullet to outright ban gun sales and maybe even confiscation and may very well get it passed. 

It's called the terrorist watch list. As it stands now anybody can be placed on it for any reason and there isn't a thing you can do about it. All it would take would be for them to say that gun owners are a threat to the public and place everybody they can on the list. It may be hard for them to find them all but a good start would be the NRA membership and members on forums such as this. I can see the writing one the wall and see how this ends if the proposed legislation passes.

I actually think I'd rather see AWB part 2 than a terror watch list ban. The watch list ban has a much better chance of passing.

The watch lists are by definition "enemy lists" this is a very slippery slope. All totalitarian governmenta use such lists and everyone is encouraged to inform on each other. Frequently the reasons are "you are on a list, we are already warching you, but if you inform then you will be protected" 

This is a lie of course... Many of these lists get populated by looking at organizations such as the NRA too.

It's not as far fetched an idea as some would think, and we've already had a senator say in public that the problem is "due process" it gets in the way of using the list for gun control...

What really gets me is that the Dems hated the list under Bush for the same due process reasons. I agreed with them then! The agenda has changed for them, not for me.

• Like 2

Hawaii is already leading the way with a recently passed bill awaiting the Governor's signature.  They want to put all of the state's gun owners into an FBI database.  While not exactly the same as declaring everyone a terrorist, it's still Big Brother keeping track of every gun owner.

http://www.kitv.com/story/32254891/proposed-federal-hawaii-gun-database-could-face-legal-battle

• Like 1

Joe Manchin said this...

"The problem that we have, and really the firewall that we have right now, is due process. It’s all due process. So we can all say we want the same thing, but how do we get there? … The shooter in Orlando was brought in twice by the FBI. They did everything they could … but there was no way for them to keep him on the NICS list or keep him off the gun buy list. So can’t we say if a person’s under suspicion there should be a five-year period that we have to see good behavior [before they can buy a gun]? Maybe we can come to that kind of agreement. But due process is what’s killing us right now."

Full context here. http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/06/16/joe-manchin-lets-mask-slip-due-process-killing-us/

This is what they think!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, gjohnsoniv said:

I understand where you are coming from, but I would respectfully disagree about it.  There isn't anyway just plopping the NRA membership into the terrorist watchlist would pass muster, not in my mind at least.

What about oath keepers?

This is what all the freedom-loving Americans wanted after 9-11.  I recall being called a traitor, a libtard, a terrorist sympathizer, and several other colorful things when I spoke out against it for this very reason.  Now maybe folks are going to start understanding why we can't pick and choose how to apply civil liberties just because we are pissed at a certain group.

• Like 3

American liberty is probably the most rewarding, most evolved, and most complex way to enjoy existing with and among one's countrymen.  Our problems are correspondingly complex.  

Those who advocate for simple solutions - like banning firearms or banning free speech - are in reality advocating for a regression in social evolution. What are the last lines from Jason Isbell's song, "Alabama Pines"?  Look them up, gentlemen... Before they vanish away.

• 3 weeks later...

It was reported that the Orlando shooter was radicalized from the internet. Maybe a proposal should be introduced that the Gov'mt can censor the internet?  Same rationale on regulating guns right? Think the libs heads would explode?