Tac 2 Greenville, TN question

I know this has been discussed here before. I speaking about Baton Training for certification in order to lawfully be able to carry an impact tool in accordance with TN law.

As far as that particular law: TN Law 39-17-1308 subsection/paragraph #9.

http://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2010/title-39/chapter-17/part-13/39-17-1308

I know it's generally a challenge to coordinate such a class (I did some years back and that particular instructor as since retired).

Has anyone here had any experience with training at Tac2?

I have a friend or two interested in such training and Tac 2 is offering the class at a reasonable rate.

They appear to be located about 1/2 way between Knoxville and Johnson City, so that may well serve the needs as far as location goes. since they live in the Knoxville area.

I am hesitant to recommend someone for instruction/training that I don't have knowledge of.

The class link is below.

Anyone with any first hand experience? Even 2nd hand? :)

http://www.tac2.com/index.php?template=calendar.item.view&recno=115

I can't help you with tac2, other than to say I've not heard bad things. 

But I have a related question, if I may....    What defines a club or baton that requires a certification?  

What I've found in the law is exceedingly vague (:rolleyes: shocking, I know). 

(2)  Club means any instrument that is specially designed, made or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument;

For example, is a kubotan considered a club?  How about a flashlight with a striking bezel?  

LOL. I know what you mean peejman.

I have carried an ASP in the past without issues in SW MS and SE LA. But once I received this certification I started carrying a flat sap (AKA fixed length baton.) That was about 10 years ago. I do keep a copy of the linked law in my wallet...but the sap would probably be taken if I did something illegal anyway...

So..I'm an honest, law abiding citizen that simply wants to have options available to me. My choice and my risk. No issues so far.

Monadnock makes an Ayoob inspired D-Jammer that's even sold at Midway USA...might be an option if you are thinking about a kubotan.

I see the kuboton as a very niche tool, but I honestly most items covered by this law are.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/640194/monadnock-d-jammer-baton-6-aluminum-with-swivel-key-chain-silver

22 minutes ago, peejman said:

I'd thought of getting/making a kubotan for my wife. After i posted that it occurred to me that it's legal to carry a Scottish Claymore but you need a certificate to carry a stick?  Only in TN....

Have you considered an ASP Defender OC unit for her? and yourself as well?

I've had one for about 15 years and have run through several of the inert trainers in various training exercises. They serve the Kuboton role readily, make a decent striking tool, and are a darn good OC unit imho.

https://www.asp-usa.com/store/defenders-oc/category/61-street-defender

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/789389/asp-street-defender-pepper-spray-13-gram-aerosol-aerospace-aluminum-body-includes-key-ring-10-pct-oc-black

• Like 1

I have shot up a 'Doc's"  many times.  Good guy and have talked to several that have taken classes with him.  Seems to be well-thought of and I have met some very nice folks at his place.  I would recommend him.  You can also search his credentials at the TAC 2 web site.

• Like 2