Bikers

16 minutes ago, Murgatroy said:

My wife is not excited, but she has grudgingly admitted that as hard as I work to provide and sustain, this is a due reward. She still doesn't like it.

They never do until they get on the back, then it's only a matter of time until they want there own. Nice bike, good luck with it.

Murg, a cursory search shows the Derby City Motorcycle School has openings for their Aug. 5th class, it's also a good idea to check with the instructors at the dealerships as they sometimes have last minute cancellations and will also sometimes take on an extra or two for the classes.  Good luck with your riding.

11 hours ago, Murgatroy said:

[...]I know how cliche it is, but I bought a Harley for two reasons. I wanted a Sportster Iron because it looks awesome, and I wanted to be part of a 'family.' The local dealership hosts events nearly every Saturday. I bought my bike during a cookout with a live band. There are several local riding clubs as well that get together on a weekly basis and use the local dealership as there starting place. In addition several of my coworkers at both current jobs ride. And most of them ride H-D. So I know there is a lot of hate toward the H-D 'branded lifestyle,' which is the biggest reason I bought the jacket with the name on it. I have a couple of friends on my other board I have been on for almost two decades now that absolutely hate H-D. But it is my bike. Not theirs. 

None of my friends have bikes, so I have been riding by myself, which is kind of Zen. A friend from a bike-specific forum I read invited me to a group ride with her riding club. I was a little reluctant, because I knew they'd mostly be H-D guys and I don't ride a cruiser at all. They've been really cool with me even though most of them mistake my adventure bike for a crotch rocket. It's been a totally different experience, in a good way. Riding with a group is really nice, but I still enjoy the peace and quiet of a solo ride too:

20160703_142127.jpg

Edited by BigK
  • Like 1

BigK, hit the nail on the head for me. I enjoy group rides with people I know. I ride off to Texas every year to meet up with some good folks to ride the Texas Hill Country. Another group I have been riding with meets up every June and I enjoy riding with them also. However I am very cautious about riding with people that I have no idea of their riding skill sets. I also make a lot of miles each day and that doesn't sit well with many folks which also prompts me to ride alone. As such I spend most of my saddle time alone and enjoy the heck out of it. My wife rides some as well, but alas parenthood has taken its toll. Our 9 y/o son gets our attention and our time. Sadly the bikes sit idle on the trickle charger for way too long.

• Like 2

I like Buck's point about riding with folks you know.  I used to live in Atlanta.  My buddy had a Harley and went on big rides sponsored by a local dealership.  They had a death for the very reason Buck mentioned.  

I haven't read the whole thread, so this may have come up.  Of course, people texting have become a big threat.  I worked with a guy years ago that had a fairly slow speed accident caused by loose gravel (small ones, not regular gravel).  He was paralyzed from the waist down.

We live in a world of distractions.  You have to have focus when riding.  

First, I hate the term "biker". I'm not a biker, I'm a motorcyclist.

Otherwise, what they said....   Get good gear with armor. Like walking? Get real riding boots with ankle protection, not cowboy/work boots. Like wiping your arse yourself?  Get real riding gloves with gauntlet type closures so they stay on when you don't. 

Ride like everyone is trying to kill you, because most of them are. 

After a few months riding, marvel at how much you never noticed driving. 

17 minutes ago, peejman said:

First, I hate the term "biker". I'm not a biker, I'm a motorcyclist.

Otherwise, what they said....   Get good gear with armor. Like walking? Get real riding boots with ankle protection, not cowboy/work boots. Like wiping your arse yourself?  Get real riding gloves with gauntlet type closures so they stay on when you don't. 

Ride like everyone is trying to kill you, because most of them are. 

After a few months riding, marvel at how much you never noticed driving. 

best advice for gear I ever got was, spend as much money on gear as you think that body part is worth.

• Like 2

And I'll add.... Find a good mentor. Worry more about the skills your riding buddies have than how cool they look.  

Take the rear brake lever off the bike and ride it for a few weeks. Practice threshold braking... Start at about 50 mph and squeeeeeze the front brake lever until the tire starts to howl. Feel the forks load up. Hold it there and downshift until you're nearly stopped. Accelerate and repeat until you can do it smoothly and quickly. The point is to not develop the habit of stomping on the rear brake. Nothing will get you into trouble faster. 

• Like 1

She got here today, I will post some pics in a bit. It has been storming all day, but I did get about an hour in between showers.

I got a couple of miles on her. I have a lot to learn, but looking where I want to go, and letting my body do the rest really worked. She handles nicely. I need the most work on starting and stopping. 

I am ordering the forward controls tonight, as picking my feet up for the mid mounts just feels so unnatural and uncomfortable. I think I will order a seat as well, because the stock seat keeps my too far forward and squishes my jiggly bits. If I sit all the way back on the seat, at the top of the hump, I am a bit more  comfortable but still cramped. I guess that is what they mean when they talk about a big guy (even though I am skinny) on a little bike.

Mustang makes good replacement seats. Another add on that may interest you is a louder horn. A few years ago I added a Mini beast air horn. Idiots hear me now and I am not afraid to use it. LOL Take your time and enjoy your ride. Don't be afraid to not rush or push yourself.

Congrats on the bike and lots of good tips have been provided.  I'll add one:  Don't bar hop with the group rides, or just have a cold water or sweet tea.  You need your head on straight these days when riding on 2 wheels.  

• Like 2

jpx2fk makes an excellent point. As I have said I have been riding for more than a few years. I will gladly partake of a tasty adult beverage when ALL the riding is done for the day. Bar hopping and riding is a recipe for disaster.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, walthermitty said:

You can get a lot of good info, help and support on a forum like xlforum.net, that is geared to sportsters.  They also have great off topic threads!

100% agree I had a sporty and went a lil crazy with power mods...  that forum was a huge help. Wish that I still had that bike. Went from it to a roadglide and ditched that for a 2016 Soft tail slim.

On a related topic: I recently used Hooligan Cycles for a 10k service on a Super Glide.  I couldn't be more thrilled with the cost and work.  He went way beyond what I have experienced at any dealer that I've used.  So, if you don't have the time, tools, inclination or whatever, give them a try. 

I have no relationship, other than customer, to this company nor to anyone at the company.