What do you like and why

I just picked up a CZ 85B for carry and range. Large pistol but I do indeed like all metal CZs.

I like to put rubber grips on the pistol and rubber magazine base plates on the mags then shoot the heck out of them.

I have become a fan of good 124gr JHP ammo for 9mm.

• Like 1

What I like best are Hi-powers. It's what the 1911 was supposed to be![emoji6]
That being said, I alternate carry a 1911 4.25", a Glock 19 MOS, or a Taurus 85 UL with a bobbed hammer (what I currently own) It usually depends on the situation: destination, conditions, distance, clothing, ect.

I also really like the M&P's and Walther PPQ M1, but don't have any atm.

I usually don't carry the Hi-powers because they are high polished blue and too pretty. I like them too much to abuse, loose, our damage them.

I grew up shooting 1911's, Beretta 92's and Glocks, and I still enjoy shooting them, but I drank the CZ kool aid a few years back and carry a P07 most of the time.  Now I have several CZ models on my short list to purchase-- CZ75 compact and a Rami are at the top of the list.  Just about any CZ I shoot seems to be just an extension of my hand and I shoot them more accurate than any of my other handguns. 

• Like 2
On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 7:40 AM, tercel89 said:

I like Glocks and 1911's . They are very easy to detail strip without hardly any tools. I like the Glocks for reliability and the fact that they have so few parts. The 1911's are great when you fine ones that will run reliably. I find the Springfield fullsize ones in Mil-Spec will run great out of the box. I carry those and Glocks. I have gotten to the point where I will not own a firearm unless I can detail strip the whole thing down to all springs and pins and do all my own work on them. For example I like the Beretta M9/FS but I detail stripped one and the amount of springs and so many parts made me think about what could go wrong. CZ's are great ! I love CZ's but they have a gazillion parts !!!!!  Plus I want very good parts availability , like where I can get them without going on the internet and I cant do that with CZ nor much others.

I really can't say it any better than this. I thought about detail stripping my son's 92FS, but I know how many tiny parts 'n springs are there, and I got skeered. I love CZ75s too. But I'll always have my G19 around. I call it the Estwing hammer of guns, ain't the purdiest, but I've never personally broken one. That said, I can't seem to pull myself away from my Kimber TLE either. I'll sometimes detail strip it just because I enjoy it, and I've gotten that one so hot before that I had to lay it on the tailgate to cool off, but I've not been able to make it choke.

• Like 2

All...

I been shootin handguns all my life, and im a pretty old geezer... There ain't many i ain't shot or handled... I've carried everything from 1911's; revolvers (...smiths: small, medium, and large... ruger: blackhawks to vaquero sheriffs...); glocks:....(. little bitty, baby to big..);  Sigs:.(... little bitty to bitty...)... Ya get the picture...

Since ive gotten older and more crippled up, i tote a smith j frame airweight, a 938 sig, or a itty bitty glock in my pocket, and a great big pistol in the car.... Don't be fooled by the marketing hype; there aint no new "magic calibers" nor "mo better" pistols...

The good news is that most all handguns work well... Better now than they did in the "good ole days"; mostly due to the advances in CNC machining and bullet design; especially for the semiautos..  I like 'em all, even the damnable "tupperware" pistolas...

Bottom line... Pick the one you like and take the time to shoot it alot... Nothin teaches you ta shoot like shootin...

aged leroy the gimp...

69 yrs old and still here...

• Like 8

For CCW, a Kahr K40 black stainless with all mags modified with S&W 4016 followers n springs. This gives the Kahr an additional round in stock mag bodies. S&W 645 for gp rock throwing. 1873 JP Sauer 5.5" 44mag for snake medicine. Lahti M40 as a play 9mm. FEG fake FN Hi power for play n winter carry. Taurus 941 3" 22mag as woods carry. High Standard light weight 22 auto w/ custom barrel for bulls eye. There are others but these get the most use.

I like 1911s and Glocks because they have a short trigger reset.For that reason I don't like XDs and the Browning Hi-Power.I hate DA auto pistols,I prefer the same trigger pull for each shot.I like S&W revolvers and the old Ruger Six series DA revolvers.I like SA revolvers of all makes.

I used to really like the all steel autos (1911s, Hi-Powers and Berretas), but now I mostly like striker fired polys.  They are lighter to carry and more comfortable to shoot, at least to me.  For me, it's a Glock 17, FNH FNS 9mm and Springfield XDs in .45. I have a CZ, but I'm getting ready to put it up for sale.  I want a kayak and that's my least shot and carried pistol.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great shooting gun, but its heavy for a 9mm and the sights are difficult to see for these aging eyes.

I really prefer hammer fired all metal guns, but I carry a Springfield XD Mod.2 9MM.  It feels really good in my hand and has a little heft to it so it recoils well.

I'm switching to my new CZ 75 Compact as soon as it proves reliable.  I'll shoot it in several IDPA matches and see if it runs well.  It's a good test.

I've occasionally carried my CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow, but it's tough to conceal and I can only carry it in the winter.

I just prefer all metal guns because of IDPA.  They seem to perform better for me and I enjoy shooting them.  After shooting hammer fired guns almost exclusively for the past year, I just like the feel of a hammer and a nice trigger.  Even striker fired guns with good trigger jobs just feel wrong to me now.

Compact, polymer, single/double with a decocker. 9mm preferrably.

I (like every collector) love the flashy over engineered guns. Who wouldn't want to own a nighthawk? But for carry, I want a duty pistol. I want sights that are intuitive, I want it to point naturally. I don't mind polymer because it typically weighs less, doesn't get super hot or cold against skin. I want function over form.

I want 9mm because i want more ammo. Sure a 45 is a big brute, but I'm not some combat hardened operator, I want quick follow up shots and to say "yup, under this shirt I have 33 rounds of ammo!

I also don't want a safety that I've accidentally toggled or forget to unlock because I'm in a panic. You can say that's just familiarity and training, but for me that's milliseconds. Pull -> fire is my thought.

• Like 1

I'm gettin' on in years and readily admit to being opinionated as hell. I like metal guns with exposed hammers and proven designs. As such, I go with 1911s and S&W revolvers. My most carried guns are a pre-70 Colt Commander in .45acp and a 3" S&W Model 13 in .357. 

In revolvers I prefer the K- frames for carry. But I do have a Model 36 that I occasionally grab for quick trips when I'm too lazy to strap on a real gun.

I absolutely detest plastic guns. Glucks in particular as they just don't feel right and are butt ugly to boot. However, I do own one piece of plastic and it has a specific purpose. Its a Colt Mustang XSP that I usually carry on my daily walks. With the poly frame and stainless slide, its about as sweat proof as you can get. Besides, its just a baby 1911.  ;)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I like semi auto handguns in the 4 inch  "Commander" size.  I have really found that I gravitate to the DA/SA style and I LOVE the Sig SRT trigger.  I also have Glocks and love the simplicity.  I have never been a huge fan of the 1911 style weapons, especially the grip safety and generally find that I tend to avoid any handgun with a grip safety.  I do like the Sig p238, and despite the fact that I do not feel the .380 to be optimal, I find it is best for me with my usually May-October attire.  I like the Glock 27 and the Sig p224 Extreme to be my go tos for early spring and light fall attire.  My Sig 229 Elite is my single favorite pistol of any in my collection.  I rarely carry it, but it is my "gun course" gun when I take classes, and my bedside gun if something goes bad.  My p224 is an almost exact copy but smaller.  For travel, I almost always pack my Glock 23 with an extra 22 round extended factory Glock Mag.  All of the usual guns that I carry (except my .380) are chambered in .40.  I choose .40 because: #1 I have stockpiled a BUNCH of it.  #2 I like it. #3 because Massad Ayoob says the easiest shootings to defend in court are when the shooter is using the exact same caliber as local law enforcement.  If I were to start my collection over today, I would likely choose the same weapons in 9mm, but that would be defeating now for my system and I like .40 just fine.  I have various and sundry others in multiple calibers including my beloved Colt wheelguns (.38 special Agent snubnose, .44 Magnum anaconda, and .357 Python.)  I have several "randoms" including a .380 Baretta full sized (don't remember the model), a S&W .357 Model 66.  Those are mostly just for fun.  My wife likes her S&W 642 and ONLY carries that weapon.