Coyote at night

I just relocated to Tennessee from upstate NY. I enjoy getting out to hunt coyote usually at night. On the tn.gov sight, I see where it says electronically enhancing light and equipment to find game is illegal. I'm assuming that is night vision and ir devices. My question is, can you still use a laser sight here at night? If not, I need to remove it before hunting. I currently have a maglight and laser sight on my rifle. Please inform me if I need to remove them. Also, anyone in eastern to needing or wanting a coyote partner, look me up. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't hunt here at night at all for most game including coyotes.  A red dot is ok for a scope, but nothing that would project on the animal. 

Here is the hunting regs in relation to hours.

Legal Hunting Hours 1. All big game and small game species (except bullfrogs, raccoons, opossums, migratory birds and the chasing of foxes and rabbits) daylight hours only (30 minutes before official sunrise and until 30 minutes after official sunset) except turkey open only until official sunset. 2. Hunting of bullfrogs, raccoons, opossums, the chasing of foxes and rabbits, and the trapping of furbearers is permitted day or night unless restricted by Proclamation. No foxes or rabbits may be shot while chasing/ training at night. 3. Hunting of migratory birds is to comply with federal regulations for migratory birds, unless restricted by Proclamation.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

Thanks. I just re read and you copied exactly from the site. You can trap at night, not hunt. Thanks for clarifying. I will look in to areas to hunt coyote during legal hours. And boar as well.

So if I read this right, I can hunt coyote using center fire rifle, except during deer or bear seasons, unless I'm deer or bear hunting. So it's more of incidental contact to hunt coyote or boar during regular big game seasons?

So coyote is day only, and no feral pig. Any ruling on defending yourself, or coming across the boar while hunting during regular season? Sorry for the questions. Trying to learn TN law and it's completely different from nydec regulations.

I would say you can always defend yourself from one, sure.  But you can't just shoot one because you see it while hunting something else.  If you did shoot one in self defense, you would need to contact TWRA and let them know just to cover yourself.

Edited by Hozzie

Unfortunately you can't coyote hunt here at night, even on private property.  It is one of the few things I would like changed in the game regs here.  Also you can't use a centerfire rifle to coyote hunt during deer bow season.  That is also kind of a pain.

Great info thanks. The off season is coyote for me. I'll still hunt regular seasons for deer and bear as well. Just sorting things out from the last 10 years in New York State. Thanks again folks.

On 7/12/2016 at 1:43 PM, plantemv79 said:

I just relocated to Tennessee from upstate NY.

Welcome to the great state of Tennessee (from a fellow transplant from upstate ny - lived outside Rochester the last 20 years)!

- Kevin

• 1 month later...
You can not use any form of a lighted reticle scope including the red dot scopes from sunset to sunrise. So don't get caught hunting in those hours with one or you'll face fines and confiscation.

Are you sure? I think they mean light devices that either transmit a light onto the subject or a laser on the subject. Not a self contained reticle.

Are you sure? I think they mean light devices that either transmit a light onto the subject or a laser on the subject. Not a self contained reticle.

Yea I'm sure that was direct from TWRA mouth and I actually know a guy who got fined and had his rifle confiscated.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk Pro
Glad this came up... I ASSUME (we all know what "assume" means) I can protect my livestock on my property from coyotes at night though, correct? 

Yes you have the right to protect your livestock but within the law. You can not do so at night

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk Pro
1 hour ago, jphillips63 said:

Yes you have the right to protect your livestock but within the law. You can not do so at night

Thanks for the response... So when they come out, often at night around here (from what I hear), I can't protect the livestock? Maybe I'll yell at them...

Wrong answer... (not to you... to TN)...