traveling to Chicago

I have to travel to Chicago in two weeks and with all that is going on, a bit worried.

I am a TN Handgun Permit holder, but from what I read Illinois and Cook County in particular don't recognize it.

From my reading on the internet, looks like as a non-resident I can have certain guns (no "assault weapons") in my vehicle in a locked case and disassembled.

Does anyone have any suggestions? or more first hand knowledge?

I would leave my gun as well.  Yes, Chicago is a liberal cesspool, but unless you are going in areas that most of us would never go, you are not going to have an issue.  Where exactly are you going to be?  If you are downtown, you will be fine.  Just use common sense like in any big city and be aware of your surroundings.  Chicago is a great city to with a lot to offer.  Some of the best museums in the world and a great aquarium.  Hell, there are shootings every day in Nashville now, but I suspect not where most of us are going.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Hozzie said:

I would leave my gun as well.  Yes, Chicago is a liberal cesspool, but unless you are going in areas that most of us would never go, you are not going to have an issue.  Where exactly are you going to be?  If you are downtown, you will be fine.  Just use common sense like in any big city and be aware of your surroundings.  Chicago is a great city to with a lot to offer.  Some of the best museums in the world and a great aquarium.  Hell, there are shootings every day in Nashville now, but I suspect not where most of us are going.

This. I have always stayed around the water tower area and it has been great. I'll be going back for a Sox game at some point and would stay in almost any part of River North up through Gold Coast without hesitation.

That's unfortunate really.  It's one thing to not like it having at least been there.  I am guessing you wouldn't go to any major city and that's ok, but you miss out on a lot.  It has some of the greatest architecture in the US.  To each his own, but I hope others don't judge it by only what they hear.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 4
1 minute ago, mikegideon said:

Hozzie came outa there, and he's pretty OK. He does fart a lot, though :)

Well, kinda.  I came from a small town south of the city, but I still have a fondness for it that I think most don't want to consider because of what they hear.  The city is more than gang bangers and liberals.  I am not saying move there, but everyone should see it at least once.  

Well to be fair Mike, only when I am around you ;).  You bring out the best in people...

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

That's unfortunate really.  It's one thing to not like it having at least been there.  I am guessing you wouldn't go to any major city and that's ok, but you miss out on a lot.  It has some of the greatest architecture in the US.  To each his own, but I hope others don't judge it by only what they hear.

Agreed. I have been on the Architectural tour down the river.

2 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

Well, kinda.  I came from a small town south of the city, but I still have a fondness for it that I think most don't want to consider because of what they hear.  The city is more than gang bangers and liberals.  I am not saying move there, but everyone should see it at least once.  

It's a big place. Pretty easy to get away from the assholes.

3 hours ago, Hozzie said:

There are several things there I'd like to see. Sort of like D.C. I'll not go see them, however. Year to date, there have been 2100 people shot in Chicago. That just isn't where I'd feel comfortable being.

We once went to St. Louis. I really didn't feel comfortable there. You're right. I don't care for big cities.

You can have a loaded gun in your car in Illinois with a valid Tennessee permit. I do it all the time. But you can’t carry beyond that.

But I honestly am not sure of the laws for the city of Chicago. If I’m going there I’m drinking and partying so I’m not armed.

Best party town in the nation. Where are you staying? Going for IMTS?

Edited by DaveTN

Chicago is a great city for a visit.  Awesome food, nice sights, and good walking once you get to the general area you want to be in.  I look forward to visiting again someday since I haven't been since Uber became a thing.  Will make getting around much easier/cheaper than the taxi racket.

As to the danger...just avoid the trouble spots on this map that covers 2016 to date and you'll be fine.

2016_city_map.png

• Like 2