Regular 9mm S&W Shield vs Performance Center Shield, w pics and short video.

musicman

Hey Gents,

So, I'm a huge S&W fanboy and have had a Shield for at least 3 years.  Last year I bought my wife her own Shield for Christmas.  We have been very happy with both of them.  Well, last week I had the opportunity to get the newer Performance Center Shield.  I had been putting it off getting one because honestly I didn't see the PC upgrades as that big of a deal.

WRONG!!

The fiber optics are SO much easier to pick up than the white dots!  I didn't think a little porting would make much difference but WOWEE does it!  It really helps knock down the muzzle flip.  You can see in my crappy cell phone video below that my right hand doesn't rise as much and is much faster back to level.  As for the trigger...oh man.  The Shields generally have good triggers to start with, and I've got no complaints with the two regular models I've had, but the PC trigger is just great.  A little takeup and then a perfect, crisp, 5lbish break.  Short, positive reset.  Clean all the way around.  As you can see in the pictures of my target, I was clearly able to shoot the PC gun more accurately and consistently.  The two flyers above and below the yellow circle make me very angry.  That was my first magazine in through the gun, and after 3 rds on top of each other in the middle, I started giggling and pulled those two.  That's 5 rds in the middle and two idiot marks outside.  Just amazing.  All of my shooting today was at 7 yds, standing unsupported, with a standard two hand hold.  This was all cheapo Perfecta ammo from back when Wally was selling it for $7/box.

In the picture with the eight targets, disregard the two on the left and the right (that top left was a 36rd mag through a full size M&P 9mm).  Focus on the two yellow targets, that's the PC gun.  The squares to their right are from my regular Shield, which has been my carry gun for years.

Here are all the pics:

20160714_195639_zpsctakseg3.jpg

20160714_180236_zpsugij4zvn.jpg

20160714_195713_zps3wrqzshq.jpg

20160714_180342_zpsu6ssihbz.jpg

20160714_180400_zpsudojmu4i.jpg

20160714_180626_zpse3uqx3gn.jpg

7rd at 7yds, PC model

20160714_180936_zpsqpqqm6p7.jpg

And lastly, here's the crummy cell phone video I promised. :-)  I didn't realize I had a 4th rd in the PC gun on the right, that's why the slide didn't lock back.

In closing, if anyone out there was on the fence out this model, jump off that fence and RUN to your closest fun shop and get it NOW!  If you thought a regular Shield was "good enuff"... well... it is, but this one is better!

And if anyone is looking for a fair deal on a great condition 3 yr Shield, hit me up! :-) I feel a second PC model is on the way for me soon!

Edited by musicman
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

You won't regret the purchase, I promise!  It really is an amazing little package.  Wifey and I went to the range Sunday and I got some better slo-mo video of the two side by side.  When I'm home on wi-fi I'll upload and post it.  The difference in muzzle flip is quite substantial!

And again, the accuracy increase is just nuts.  I can easily keep entire magazines in cloverleafs at 7yds.  With a pistol that small, I find that outstanding, given my limited skills.

I love this little pistol more ever time I shoot it!