Culling the Nerds!

On July 15, 2016 at 2:33 PM, vontar said:

It took Michelle Obama 8 years to convince people to run outside and be active. Nintendo did it in 24 hours. #Pokemon

6th walk today.jpg

Technically Nintendo did it in 21 years.  The first pokemon game was released in 1995.  Without that, it wouldn't be as popular today.  Nostalgia is a strong motivator. 

• Like 2

Just when you thought it couldn’t get any more ridiculous !   Don't you really feel sorry for him? (see highlighted statement)

A New Zealand man has quit his job to fully devote himself to hunting Pokemon.

Tom Currie, 24, was working as a barista and bartender at a restaurant on the Hibiscus Coast when he was overcome by “Pokemon Go” mania.

I wanted to have an adventure,” Currie told The Guardian. “I have been working for six years and I was desperate for a break. And Pokemon gave me the chance to live that dream.”

Currie plans to take a two-month trip around New Zealand in his quest to catch all the creatures in the game. As of this week, he already had at least 90 of the 151 Pokemon.

Luckily, his mother approves.

“Tom is a very spur-of-the-moment, independent kid, he always has been,” Tania Dobbs said. “His nana and I don’t understand the game but I remember him loving it in his childhood. I am just glad he is out enjoying his life and seeing so much of New Zealand. I back him 100%.”

Of course, the ambitious Pokemon trainer is having fun with his 15 minutes of fame, but for him, there is nothing like the thrill of the chase.

“When you and your friends have to physically go for a walk or run to catch a rare Pokemon in the area and you all catch it, that is definitely a highlight,” he told the BBC.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tom-currie-pokemon_us_578a57c9e4b0867123e185e1

3 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

Just when you thought it couldn’t get any more ridiculous !   Don't you really feel sorry for him? (see highlighted statement)

A New Zealand man has quit his job to fully devote himself to hunting Pokemon.

Tom Currie, 24, was working as a barista and bartender at a restaurant on the Hibiscus Coast when he was overcome by “Pokemon Go” mania.

I wanted to have an adventure,” Currie told The Guardian. “I have been working for six years and I was desperate for a break. And Pokemon gave me the chance to live that dream.”

Currie plans to take a two-month trip around New Zealand in his quest to catch all the creatures in the game. As of this week, he already had at least 90 of the 151 Pokemon.

Luckily, his mother approves.

“Tom is a very spur-of-the-moment, independent kid, he always has been,” Tania Dobbs said. “His nana and I don’t understand the game but I remember him loving it in his childhood. I am just glad he is out enjoying his life and seeing so much of New Zealand. I back him 100%.”

Of course, the ambitious Pokemon trainer is having fun with his 15 minutes of fame, but for him, there is nothing like the thrill of the chase.

“When you and your friends have to physically go for a walk or run to catch a rare Pokemon in the area and you all catch it, that is definitely a highlight,” he told the BBC.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tom-currie-pokemon_us_578a57c9e4b0867123e185e1

Don't see the problem.  Do it while you're young before you can't. 

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, DWARREN123 said:

Some folks just can not get their priorities in order.

Put the phones down and do something constructive.

LMAO...I've seen a lot of media pictures of the Pokémon Go players around my little corner of the world. Most of them look like they could benefit from a lot of walking and physical activity. It's a silly game that will probably help get some foolish people in trouble for trespassing or get them hurt.

5 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

Some folks just can not get their priorities in order.

Put the phones down and do something constructive.

I lost 15 lbs last year walking VU's campus playing a similar game in my off hours while still on call. There are certainly worse ways they could be spending time these days.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

Don't see the problem.  Do it while you're young before you can't. 

I think it's a silly game, but...good for him if he wants to go walkabout.  

On the other hand, I hope he can find another job as a "barista and bartender," those are hard to come by.

• Like 1

I'm playing. It encouraged me to do an extra mile and a half on my bike last night to get to another Poke-stop. I set a new personal best longest ride with Runkeeper and wouldn't have done it if I hadn't seen the Poke-stop off in the distance on my map. The Bellevue Greenway has a Poke-stop at every entrance and two Poke-gyms along the way. I can see it encouraging area kids to beg their parents to take them to the greenway and walk/bike to each stop. There are worse things. I think it's kind of fun for now. We'll see how long it lasts.

I just started Sarturday and hit Level 5 last night.....now will I be Mystic, Valor, or Instinct?

• Like 3
4 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

the-folksonline-bashing-people-for-playi

This is purely a matter of perspective, I'm sure. I never "grew out of" playing or watching sports, but I did outgrow Hot Wheels, GI Joe, Scooby Doo, and my Big Wheel. Now, I ain't saying your average 25 yr old shouldn't be playing with pokemons; I'm just saying *I* don't get it. 

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.  

I do reserve the right to punch anyone's arm who rides in my truck if I see a VW Bug before they do, however. :D

• Like 1