W-48 Training Rifle dark rings

Bought a Polish Mosin 22 cal rifle yesterday. Got it home & bore-snaked it to find 2 dark rings in the bore about 5 inches apart. What caused them ? Apology for no pics as I learn by rote & I can't find anyone to show me .Thanks !

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite as rough  as the picture but there are two dark rings that are down the bore from the muzzle . I probably should take it to the range before the day gets too hot & see what sort of 5 shot groups @ 25 /50 yds it makes w/cci standards.. It may not need much remediation (I hope). Thanks again !

Sounds good to me .. I've got some bronze wool & a one- piece small bore cleaning rod w/a few attachments including a cotton bore mop , a slotted tip & a patch pusher . Also have some valve-lapping compound . What lead removers do TGO'rs recommend ?

Bajabuc and I cleaned the bore of the rifle & when the patch on the tip passed the the dark rings the cleaning patch zipped across the the spaces w/o any resistance.. We felt along the barrel to see if there were any discernible bulges but couldn't find any.. Lacking a bore scope we figured the rifling was gone in a  couple of places & wondered if it would be worth re-lining the bore.. I've got less than $250 invested in the rifle so far. A new sleeve would cost about that (plus shipping) . It still shoots, but not as accurately  as I would like . What do you suggest? (I don't want to sell or trade anything that isn't in good shape, a feller gets a bad reputation & life's too short to worry, etc.) Any ideas ? THANKS !

• 2 weeks later...