Inexpensive Shot Guns?

kieefer

I don't want to hijack the thread but I'm really curious about this. Do you think it's ok to apply this over a little rust? I have a 870 police magnum with a pretty rough finish. I was going to send it off for cerakote but this looks like a cheaper alternative.

From what I've searched, if you clean the rust up good it should work fine. CLP and a wire brush work wonders. Its heat cured and made for engines so it should hold up fine to solvents and heat.

2 hours ago, Smith said:

From what I've searched, if you clean the rust up good it should work fine. CLP and a wire brush work wonders. Its heat cured and made for engines so it should hold up fine to solvents and heat.

The key take-away from this is get the rust off first.  Don't try to refinish over it.

If it's just surface rust CLP and 0000 steel wool will do the job.  

Edited by Garufa
2 hours ago, Smith said:

At what temp and for how long did you bake it?

1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

At what temp and for how long did you bake it?

The Dupli-Color is great because it dries in 30 min. and is fully dries in an hour. Put on 3 light coats then put it in the oven at 300 for 30 min. let it cool then back in for 15. seemed to work fine. Essential I bake them till there is no more fume coming off the parts. I've used VHT and it works well, but I like the Dupli-Color better. VHT has to be heated right to cure. I've had it flake before. Most likely my fault, but the Dupli-Color is just easier to use. 

• 4 months later...

I have a Maverick 88 with 18.5" barrel. I picked up a used 26" barrel and shot a lot of sport clays and tree rats with it. I eventually picked up a double barrel for clays but the 88 is still my primary home defense with the 18.5" barrel. I never put the pistol grip on mine (came with the gun) but shot a friends 88 with a pistol grip, it is a hand full, he has picked up a stock for his (didn't come with one).