Anyone here been to National Museum of the US Air Force, Dayton, OH?

I may be driving by their soon and wondering more about parking.

It is on an active Air force Base or has the entire place been turned over to the Museum?

I read on the website no weapons allowed in the Museum.  Didn't say anything about leaving one in your vehicle.  I don't like doing that but we all know a few places.  I believe it said they have metal detectors and subject to search.  Even photo ID may be required.

(I have to brush up on OH Gun laws before I go up, i know OH is a Must inform state).

Just wondering if I am even allowed to have one in my vehicle to park, if I intend to leave it in my Truck.

I really want to see the Museum as they have several of my Favorite Aircraft there.

x15 plane

Bockscar

My possible trip though there is kind sudden but should have enough time to plan a side stop here.  It has been on my list so if I am passing though going to try to stop.

31 minutes ago, vontar said:

I may be driving by their soon and wondering more about parking.

It is on an active Air force Base or has the entire place been turned over to the Museum?

I read on the website no weapons allowed in the Museum.  Didn't say anything about leaving one in your vehicle.  I don't like doing that but we all know a few places.  I believe it said they have metal detectors and subject to search.  Even photo ID may be required.

(I have to brush up on OH Gun laws before I go up, i know OH is a Must inform state).

Just wondering if I am even allowed to have one in my vehicle to park, if I intend to leave it in my Truck.

I really want to see the Museum as they have several of my Favorite Aircraft there.

x15 plane

Bockscar

My possible trip though there is kind sudden but should have enough time to plan a side stop here.  It has been on my list so if I am passing though going to try to stop.

It has been a few years since I have been there, but I don't remember having to go through a typical base checkpoint.  Best I remember, there was a specific road that you entered, and the museum parking was before the checkpoint.  I would call and ask, just to be safe.  

I have been several times over the years, and it is worth the stop.  I would probably plan on a half day to go through it.  

This was on the Ohio carry board. The Museum is on the AFB, so a weapon in the car is probably illegal.

I just got back from the Air Force Museum (left my firearm at home because I didn't want to get caught and sent to Gitmo as a suspected terrorist). There is at least one sign on the road from public land into the parking area of the museum that states that carrying forearms is prohibited... blah, blah, blah.

I presumed that the buildings themselves were off-limits, and they too are posted everywhere.

If you are going to WPAFB Museum, you are better off leaving your firearm at home or hotel if you are from out of town and staying overnight (not sure if I would feel comfortable doing that though).

Wright Patterson is probably my vacation destination this year. Leave the heathen and wife at Great Wolf Lodge, spend the day at the museum. I would love to take my daughter, but if the wife goes, we won't be there five minutes before she is ready to leave, and whining. That is why I quit taking her to gun shows.

It's a must see.  There's so much there, plan for 2 days if you're the type that likes to read all the placards and just stand and stare for a while. Have some sunscreen for the outside parts of it. 

Best I recall, you can't carry there but I don't recall any sort of check point or metal detectors (which they do have at Kennedy Space Center).  

2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

This was on the Ohio carry board. The Museum is on the AFB, so a weapon in the car is probably illegal.

This was my big concern.

This is happens to be a speedy trip to Ohio and Back 2 days later.  I know I don't have time to see much of it, I was hoping to get in long enough to see the X 15, but I will probably be going back in the Fall with more time.  Will probably just skip this, this time.

When I was last there about 10 years ago the main museum was pretty informal, but they had a special tour you can sign up for with a valid drivers license where they bus you onto part of the active base to tour an old Air Force One jet and a few other aircraft.

Was there 25+ years ago and 3 years ago, could not believe how much it had grown. If you want to do the special tours go early and immediately go to the main desk and sign up, they limit how many can go each day. We did not make the cut and plan a return trip in the future. 

• Like 1

Born and raised about 20 miles away. I've since moved down here 6 years ago and it's probably been about 15 since I was last at the museum, at that point I was too young to carry. As others have said, there are no checkpoints driving up to the museum, I guess I don't see where leaving it in the car is a problem... legally, not sure...jmo 

When I left the state cops weren't to well informed of permit holders so traffic stops were still somewhat frustrating at times. They've gotten a lot more informed and better now though. Just don't speed on I 75 between Cincinnati and Dayton...way too many OSP sitting and waiting.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, blewbayou said:

When I left the state cops weren't to well informed of permit holders so traffic stops were still somewhat frustrating at times. They've gotten a lot more informed and better now though. Just don't speed on I 75 between Cincinnati and Dayton...way too many OSP sitting and waiting.

I plan to set cruise on 70 or 65 whatever the speed limit is.  I feel not having a State license plate on the front makes me a target anyways.  Plus my TN plate with the TGO Logo on it really makes me stand out.  Thought about taking it off, but nope.

I've visited the  Dayton and Columbus area many times, been to the Museum 3 or 4 times over the last 15 years.  I still don't feel like I've adequately seen and done all there is to do there.  There's also an access to the old Huffman Prairie field on the base, and a downtown tour of old Dayton which includes several sites having to do with the Wrights.  The airport south of town ( too lazy to look up the name now) has a replica of a Wright model B flyer which is periodically available for rides, or used to be. If you also happen to be into cars, particularly Fords, the Mid-Ohio Ford club hosts the world's largest all-Ford swap meet in Columbus twice per year, Columbus is about an hour from Dayton.

• Like 1