DEER SEASON..!! (warning...ramblings from a bored old man)

Even though we're still a couple of days away from August, I really can't help but get excited about fall....about fall fishing....about FOOTBALL....but most of all I'm already getting excited about DEER SEASON!! I know it's a ways off yet since I can't bow hunt due to health reasons, well that and not wanting to hunt in the heat of late summer as well as having to gear up for it. Archery equipment is pricy to say the least!! But, this will be my second season since retiring and being able to go anytime I want to go is really fun, so I’m already getting fired up about it. I hunted deer for 15 years or so back in the late 60’s and 70's and then quit, but I really did enjoy last year’s season. The weather was warmer than I’d hoped it would be, but I really enjoyed it anyway.  I have decided that I do want to get a cheap muzzleloader though to add a couple of weeks to my season and time in the woods. I did hunt the black powder season back in the day so I’m not completely blind concerning what it’s all about. I have been looking around and things have sure changed in muzzloader rifles since I last owned one. My plan is to sell a few items I don't need any more to finance the purchase. I'm looking at a CVA Wolf .50cal package deal at Academy for about $240. It includes the rifle and a lot of items that would pretty much set me up I think and serve me well for quite a few years. So….I was thinking that maybe some of you veteran black powder hunters could look this package over and tell me your opinion and maybe make suggestions if there are other items I might need.  Thanks!!

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/cva-wolf-209-magnum-50-muzzleloader-rifle-package

Rambling over….

Edited by Randall53

That is a pretty nice package for the money.  If you are just getting into muzzleloading it has everything you need.  The one thing to check is to make sure you have easy access to the breech for cleaning.  I had one muzzleloader that I had to take the stock off to clean the barrel.  Most now a days are not like that but is something to check.

• Like 2

Thanks KahrMan. It looked pretty good to me but I've been away from black powder too long, so thanks for the reply. The salesman said It is a breakdown rear breach type and the breechlock is suppose to be easy to remove and replace with your fingers as long as you keep it lubed.

40 minutes ago, Randall53 said:

Thanks KahrMan. It looked pretty good to me but I've been away from black powder too long, so thanks for the reply. The salesman said It is a breakdown rear breach type and the breechlock is suppose to be easy to remove and replace with your fingers as long as you keep it lubed.

My dad picked up one of these wolf muzzle loaders a while back. It is easy to maitain and shoots very well. I think it fits the bill perfectly for what you are looking for.

• Like 1

I started tinkering with my bow a couple of weeks ago, and ran a couple of rounds down my muzzleloader.  Can't wait!

The Wolf packages are a great deal.  Probably the closest thing to the old Knight Wolverine kits I have seen.  

• Like 1

The CVA Wolf is the best value in all of deer hunting.

I bought one on a lark at Wal Mart when they were $99. It's all I've hunted with since, and you can't imagine how surprised I was with it's accuracy, good trigger, and ease of cleaning.

You'll probably want some rings and a scope. You'll also need a dogbone type capper, and some shotgun primers. I like the 777 pellets for ease of use with powder charges. You can buy them in tubes, or in a larger box. Get some tubes and keep them to carry these in your pocket. The powerbelt bullets work great for me. I shoot the 295 grain green tipped ones and 2 50 grain 777 pellets.. My son has one like it, and it prefers the platinum bullets, and 2 60 grain 777 pellets.

What's really cool about these is you don't have to shoot them to unload them. Just pull the breechplug and push the powder pellets and bullet out the breech end of the barrel. No cleaning necessary.

The muzzleloader season is typically the peak of the rut here, and my absolute favorite time of year to deer hunt.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

The CVA Wolf is the best value in all of deer hunting.

I bought one on a lark at Wal Mart when they were $99. It's all I've hunted with since, and you can't imagine how surprised I was with it's accuracy, good trigger, and ease of cleaning.

You'll probably want some rings and a scope. You'll also need a dogbone type capper, and some shotgun primers. I like the 777 pellets for ease of use with powder charges. You can buy them in tubes, or in a larger box. Get some tubes and keep them to carry these in your pocket. The powerbelt bullets work great for me. I shoot the 295 grain green tipped ones and 2 50 grain 777 pellets.. My son has one like it, and it prefers the platinum bullets, and 2 60 grain 777 pellets.

What's really cool about these is you don't have to shoot them to unload them. Just pull the breechplug and push the powder pellets and bullet out the breech end of the barrel. No cleaning necessary.

The muzzleloader season is typically the peak of the rut here, and my absolute favorite time of year to deer hunt.

Thank you for the info guys. I think muzzleloader season will be great for the reason you said and I'm thinking that reason and the deer are not yet skittish to all the people in the woods will increase my changes of filling the freezer. Not to mention 2 more weeks of being in the woods. I had a TC New Englander back in the early 70's and we had to shoot it to unload it, take it home and clean it every day....It was a real chore. The CVA Wolf is right in my price range. I'm glad to hear it's a good choice. I know a guy that's wanting my Muecci SE pool cue, so a CVA Wolf is definelty in my immediate future. LOL! 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Randall53 said:

I'm looking at a CVA Wolf .50cal package deal at Academy for about $240. It includes the rifle and a lot of items that would pretty much set me up I think and serve me well for quite a few years. So….I was thinking that maybe some of you veteran black powder hunters could look this package over and tell me your opinion and maybe make suggestions if there are other items I might need.  Thanks!!

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/cva-wolf-209-magnum-50-muzzleloader-rifle-package

I don’t know what the extras in that package are worth, but here is the same rifle with a scope mount for $75 less.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/82284/CVA+PR2110M+Wolf+209+Magnum+Break-Action+50cal+24"+BluedBlack+w+Mount

• Like 2

The Wolf is a great rifle. I have the CVA Optima which is similar, and a buddy has the Wolf. It's a great deal, and I wouldn't hesitate to get one. 

I have shot more deer during muzzleloader season than any other season. It's a great time to be in the TN woods hunting deer.

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, Wingshooter said:

The Wolf is a great rifle. I have the CVA Optima which is similar, and a buddy has the Wolf. It's a great deal, and I wouldn't hesitate to get one. 

I have shot more deer during muzzleloader season than any other season. It's a great time to be in the TN woods hunting deer.

The Optima is like a Wolf with a tie on. A fancier version if you will. They're nice!

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

The Optima is like a Wolf with a tie on. A fancier version if you will. They're nice!

I was in a pawn shop this morning and a man was looking at an optima they had. The person showing the gun said they have to sell them as a regular rifle due to it having several barrel configurations. He said you could buy a 243, 270, 30-06 barrel for it in addition to a muzzleloader barrel. They also said 12 ga and 20 ga shotgun barrels were available. Barrels were around $160 or so. If you don't mind a single shot, that would be the ticket!

Well, I was able to sell a pool cue I had and decided to look over the Wolf package at Academy again after doing some price checking at Buds and buying an equivalent startup kit for a muzzleloader. As I was looking at them, I noticed that one of the 3 wolf packaged sets had $229 on it rather than $239 like the other two. I asked the salesman why the difference. He scanned the price tag and it read 239 and said it's 239 not 229.  Another salesman told him to take it down and remove that tag. I though 229 was a really good deal and if I got it at that I'd be set. I told the salesman "I'll buy it right now at 229." He looked at the other salesman and he told him to give it to me. I went to the checkout and it rang up 239. I told the lady the guy in the firearms section said I could have it for the 229 that the tag shows so she changed the price and I walked out with the Wolf package deal for 229 plus tax of course. I'm happy with it and plan on shooting it later today.

Oh...and thanks for all the help!

• Like 5
On 7/30/2016 at 6:05 PM, Randall53 said:

I was in a pawn shop this morning and a man was looking at an optima they had. The person showing the gun said they have to sell them as a regular rifle due to it having several barrel configurations. He said you could buy a 243, 270, 30-06 barrel for it in addition to a muzzleloader barrel. They also said 12 ga and 20 ga shotgun barrels were available. Barrels were around $160 or so. If you don't mind a single shot, that would be the ticket!

Just for classification, I believe that would be the Optima Elite model.  :-)

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Randall53 said:

Well, I was able to sell a pool cue I had and decided to look over the Wolf package at Academy again after doing some price checking at Buds and buying an equivalent startup kit for a muzzleloader. As I was looking at them, I noticed that one of the 3 wolf packaged sets had $229 on it rather than $239 like the other two. I asked the salesman why the difference. He scanned the price tag and it read 239 and said it's 239 not 229.  Another salesman told him to take it down and remove that tag. I though 229 was a really good deal and if I got it at that I'd be set. I told the salesman "I'll buy it right now at 229." He looked at the other salesman and he told him to give it to me. I went to the checkout and it rang up 239. I told the lady the guy in the firearms section said I could have it for the 229 that the tag shows so she changed the price and I walked out with the Wolf package deal for 229 plus tax of course. I'm happy with it and plan on shooting it later today.

Oh...and thanks for all the help!

Sweet! I'm sure you will love it. My muzzleloaders are some of my favorite rifles. The Wolf will be super easy to clean (for a muzzleloader), and should be accurate.

• Like 1