Handgun Carry Permit Improvements

The school property gun law is a real bad law because someone with a permit can be changed with a felony weapons charge just like someone without a permit.  Now I understand that it usually gets brought down to a misdemeanor but still a felony weapons charge for someone who has a permit?  That is a crazy law.  Too bad that the best the TN legislature could do for us this year was create an exception for public college employees instead of just a clean exception for all people with permits.  I guess that is as good as an NRA endorsed R super majority can do for us.

• Like 1

The law you are talking about specifically exempts a gun in a vehicle. So who walks on a school campus armed and not knowing they are breaking the law? The intent of the Tennessee legislature appears to me to make it a serious crime if you do that.

I want to see Tennessee become a Constitutional carry state. Gun rights are for all the people; not just HCP holders. I have a Tennessee HCP but thankfully the cost and jumping through the hoops was no big deal for me; but for many people it is. HCP is not the issue with carrying on school grounds; carrying on schools grounds is the issue. They don’t want you or anyone else doing it. I doubt that will change for anything other than maybe Colleges.

There are quite a few places where carrying in K-12 schools is legal and many more where carry on college property is legal with a license.  Right across the state line from me in Mississippi it is legal to carry in elementary schools through colleges for people with MS enhanced licenses.

It would be nice to have Constitutional carry, but if I had to pay 50 bucks every few years to be legal everywhere VS highly restricted Constitutional carry, I'd pay to keep up my permit. 

I like how Mississippi has Constitutional carry but also offers an enhanced license for people who wish to be legal everywhere, including schools and 'no gun' signs.  I wish Tennessee would go that route.

2 hours ago, 300winmag said:

There are quite a few places where carrying in K-12 schools is legal and many more where carry on college property is legal with a license.  Right across the state line from me in Mississippi it is legal to carry in elementary schools through colleges for people with MS enhanced licenses.

It would be nice to have Constitutional carry, but if I had to pay 50 bucks every few years to be legal everywhere VS highly restricted Constitutional carry, I'd pay to keep up my permit. 

I like how Mississippi has Constitutional carry but also offers an enhanced license for people who wish to be legal everywhere, including schools and 'no gun' signs.  I wish Tennessee would go that route.

I don’t think the state will do away with carry permits if they pass Constitutional carry laws; that would just be free money to them.

We all want to see Constitutional carry. I just happen to be one of the few that won’t stand by and watch the rights of property owners be trampled in the name of 2nd amendment rights when this state does not recognize those rights. You can’t buy rights. Just because we paid the state money doesn’t mean we have any more rights or are any more qualified than those that can’t pay it.

Mississippi has a list of places you can’t carry without a permit. Schools and churches are on that list. According to this story they still allow private businesses to post and it is a criminal trespass or weapons charges for a violation.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/politics/2016/05/14/mississippi-gun-laws/84164140/

That is correct that there is a long list of places in Mississippi you cannot constitutional carry or with a regular license.  The regular licenses do not require live fire training.   If you take a class that is basically the same as the TN handgun permit class , you can get what is called an enhanced license that does make you legal inside all k through 12 schools and colleges.  The no weapons signs are also treated as trespass instead of weapons charges when you have enhanced license.  Private property owners did not suddenly lose their private property rights when the enhanced Ms licenses came out a few years ago.  They can still ask people to leave who are not following their policies.

It's not the most  ideal situation but it is still better than what we have here.