Need Help Driving Fwd Trunnion Rivets AK-47

I have a Romanian "Romy G" parts kit. I have de-milled it and removed the barrel from the forward trunnion. I have a D.C. Industries Model NDS-3 (NoDk Spud) receiver, with all rivet holes pre-drilled. The six (6) rivets in the fwd trunnion require special tools to drive them properly. I'm concerned about their structural integrity and head appearance. Otherwise, I could have just smashed them in there long ago. These rivets have to be driven to the proper length for the re-installation of the original barrel and barrel pin. I would be happy to pay anyone with the experience and skill to properly install these rivets a reasonable fee. I'm located in Murfreesboro and looking for someone within the general area of Middle Tennessee. Please PM me with what you'd charge me to install these six (6) rivets properly. Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, seez52 said:

Wish I still had my rivet smasher you'd be welcome to use it. Those are not hard to put in with the right tool. I sold mine to someone on the forum but can't remember who, maybe they will chime in. Good luck with it.

Thanks seez52. Sure wish you still had it. Did it do a good job of leaving the heads unmarred?

10 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

Thanks seez52. Sure wish you still had it. Did it do a good job of leaving the heads unmarred?

It did a good job. You had to hold it just right to get the straight in and looking right, the rivets are fairly soft. Sometimes I had to go in with a dremel and grind off a slight amount from the inside to make sure the barrel didn't hang up during insertion. You might check over on the AK files in the classified section. Someone might be selling a tool or might even let your rent/borrow one since you're just doing one gun. There are a couple of different ones out there but I used the bolt cutter style for the front. If you're building an underfolder seems like you have to use it to mash the rear trunion as well. Can't remember for sure. On a standard trunion you'll need a different setup all together, and for the center support, if it's not already installed.

I think I bought a set of rivet jaws and got my own Harbor Freight bolt cutters to put them on.

7 hours ago, seez52 said:

It did a good job. You had to hold it just right to get the straight in and looking right, the rivets are fairly soft. Sometimes I had to go in with a dremel and grind off a slight amount from the inside to make sure the barrel didn't hang up during insertion. You might check over on the AK files in the classified section. Someone might be selling a tool or might even let your rent/borrow one since you're just doing one gun. There are a couple of different ones out there but I used the bolt cutter style for the front. If you're building an underfolder seems like you have to use it to mash the rear trunion as well. Can't remember for sure. On a standard trunion you'll need a different setup all together, and for the center support, if it's not already installed.

I think I bought a set of rivet jaws and got my own Harbor Freight bolt cutters to put them on.

This receiver is a factory manufactured model with the rails and the center support already installed. Actually, the only four rivets that I'm really concerned about are the four in close proximity to the barrel in the forward trunnion. I thought about buying the bolt cutter and the correct AK jaws for it... but to drive four rivets, I couldn't justify it. I'll check out the classifieds. I've had this kit for years, just wanted to finish it and shoot it. Thanks.