1950s Spanish FR-8 HANDY DANDY Rifle Indeed

I originally was introduced to the FR-8 through a video posted by Sootch and then Ian McCollum from Forgotten Weapons and InRange TV (both YouTube channels) did a more in depth review. I had never seen or heard of this particular gun, and a quick gunbroker search yielded very few examples up for sale, so I assumed it was a more rare thing to come by.

7f8ed74284e40d97ce62f706c86c9f32.jpg

These are basically original Spanish large ring Mauser rifles that were cut down, re chambered and modified to become trainer rifles for the CETME rifle the Spanish military employed.

fb224974bd3576a57d822e7c78ab37f2.jpg

By looking at just the barrel section, you would assume this was a semi auto rifle from the birdcage muzzle brake and the tube under the barrel. This was done to sort of mimic the CETME's features. The tube on the underside is no more than a compartment that can house the cleaning kit.

497bb6b099a921f1b986ea12793538aa.jpg

60d4a3f116c39ab0352bad648850b941.jpg

Given the rather small and handy size of this rifle, you would think .308 would put a real wallop on the shoulder. Actually the muzzle brake does a pretty dang good job of softening it up. It's comparable in size to an m44 Mosin Nagant but not near as hefty. I feel like I could carry it all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ramjo
  • Like 4
Very nice.  I saw one of these in person at a show a few years ago.  Don't recall the price or anything but thought it was interesting.

I don't think I had ever ran across one prior to Sootch's YouTube video. It's such a nice size and weight. I may use it for a deer gun.

I always thought those were really cool, but never owned one. Yours looks to be in extremely good condition. Don't let it get away!

This gun was nasty. I had to take some steel wool to a few surface rust places, particularly the buttplate. It sat in someone's closet or something for a long time.

Well then, you're a great photographer, because in the photos, it looks unusually good for a military battle rifle.

Well it wasn't completely coated. Few places on the barrel and that decorative tube. Overall the buttplate is the worst part on it. The stock is actually really good. The bolt still had old dried cosmoline caked to the firing pin and other crevices. The bore had junk in it. That is what I mean by nasty.

I saw one at a gunshow a few years ago too. I've read a some on these rifles too. Pretty good little rifles, and since they are large ring, very strong.  Not like the small ring Mausers that have been rebarreled to .308 or 7.62 caliber. Some of them area little iffy.

Edited by Quavodus
  • Like 1

I bought one when they were first imported and immediately persuaded one of my BIL's to also purchase one for himself. Were it not a MISURP rifle I'd have long since turned mine into a scout rifle. The FR-8 is based on a 98 type action and he FR-7 the 96 with the FR-8 being the stronger of the two. The tube under the barrel contains the rifles cleaning kit and while I don't have one the FR-8 bayonet was kind of distinctive. Good review and pictures.

• Like 1
At a quick glance a person would mistake it for a M1 Garand-I know its not a semi-auto but it looks a bit like one.Neat rifle in any event

Yes a quick look and it would pass as a semi auto. It's unique for sure.

• Like 1

I had the FR7 which was built on a 93 small ring action. It was actually a pretty good little rifle. Never had any issues with shooting .308 through it. And it was decently accurate. Think I paid $140 for it. That was back in the early 90s. Wish I still had it. They go for $350+ now.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 0:34 PM, TNWNGR said:

I bought one when they were first imported and immediately persuaded one of my BIL's to also purchase one for himself. Were it not a MISURP rifle I'd have long since turned mine into a scout rifle. The FR-8 is based on a 98 type action and he FR-7 the 96 with the FR-8 being the stronger of the two. The tube under the barrel contains the rifles cleaning kit and while I don't have one the FR-8 bayonet was kind of distinctive. Good review and pictures.

It's my understanding that the FR8 used the same bayonet/scabbard as the Cetme. I have an FR8 myself and the previous owner gave me a Cetme bayonet with it. Fits just fine. I don't recall the date on mine. Need to dig it out of the safe. Been a while since I've looked at it.

10 hours ago, JoeCorrado said:

Had to dig for it but mine is a 1953. No rust and the wood looks about the same. Never have fired it... need to change that.

Do yourself a favor and either use a slip on recoil pad or a vest/jacket with one on the shooting shoulder. Baring that slip a partially filled sandbag between the but plate and your shoulder. My FR-8 isn't as uncomfortable to shoot as a No.5 Enfield but it's still pretty sharpish.

Hmmm. I've never shot my "jungle carbine" either. I've heard it'll talk to your shoulder a little bit. Thanks for the heads up! 

I didn't think the little rifle kicked that bad. I still think the mosins are worse.