Breaking News: Missouri becomes Constitutional (permitless) Carry state

This is a link to the Bill Summary below:

http://www.senate.mo.gov/16info/BTS_Web/Bill.aspx?SessionType=R&BillID=22246426

The "Truly Agreed on and Passed" Version that was overridden:

http://www.senate.mo.gov/16info/pdf-bill/tat/SB656.pdf

Effective Dates
  • There is an Emergency Clause for immediate enactment of Section 571.104, which has to do with the military permit renewals.
  • Enactment of Section 571.030 would be delayed until January 1, 2017. This section has to do with carrying concealed weapons under subsection 1 (permitless concealed carry), additional persons being exempted from crimes under subsection 5, and changes in penalties under subsection 8.
  • All the rest should be enacted on October 14. (Thirty days from the Veto Session on September 14 would be October 14; see 21.250 RSMo.)

Note:

Missouri still can't carry on Buses or Trains legally but hopefully next session this can be addressed.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, deadeye111 said:

This is a link to the Bill Summary below:

http://www.senate.mo.gov/16info/BTS_Web/Bill.aspx?SessionType=R&BillID=22246426

The "Truly Agreed on and Passed" Version that was overridden:

http://www.senate.mo.gov/16info/pdf-bill/tat/SB656.pdf

Effective Dates
  • There is an Emergency Clause for immediate enactment of Section 571.104, which has to do with the military permit renewals.
  • Enactment of Section 571.030 would be delayed until January 1, 2017. This section has to do with carrying concealed weapons under subsection 1 (permitless concealed carry), additional persons being exempted from crimes under subsection 5, and changes in penalties under subsection 8.
  • All the rest should be enacted on October 14. (Thirty days from the Veto Session on September 14 would be October 14; see 21.250 RSMo.)

Note:

Missouri still can't carry on Buses or Trains legally but hopefully next session this can be addressed.

The news articles I read were unclear but from my reading it appeared to me that it was already legal to carry openly with no permit in MO and that this bill/law simply expands that to concealed carry, as well.  Is that the case?  Either way it is a good thing I am just wondering if there was a step between not being able to carry without a permit and being able to carry concealed without a permit or if MO legislators went all-in all at once.

Yes the way I understand it is illegal to CONCEAL without a license in Missouri.  You can also have a handgun anywhere in your vehicle without a license.

Also, there is a list of places that are off limits to carry BUT if you have a license you can only be asked to leave.  For example, you can carry inside K-12 schools in Missouri with a license, but if asked to leave you must leave.  It is not a weapons charge like it is here in TN.  Same thing for the 'no guns' signs and colleges.

Now from what I've read with the new conceal carry w/o a license, the off limits locations can be a misdemeanor charge.

In my opinion, there is a lot of advantage to having a license in Missouri when you don't have to worry about any weapons charges for carrying in places that here can get you misdemeanor to felony charges.

2. Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a concealed carry permit issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121, or a concealed carry endorsement issued prior to August 28, 2013, shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premises.

There is a list of locations on handgunlaw.us for Missouri that you can be asked to leave from with a license.  If you are concealing without a license, those locations will be a misdemeanor.

On 9/16/2016 at 9:10 AM, JAB said:

The news articles I read were unclear but from my reading it appeared to me that it was already legal to carry openly with no permit in MO and that this bill/law simply expands that to concealed carry, as well.  Is that the case?  Either way it is a good thing I am just wondering if there was a step between not being able to carry without a permit and being able to carry concealed without a permit or if MO legislators went all-in all at once.

Open carry was legal without a permit before this veto override especially in rural areas but some muni's exercised their option of passing laws that prohibit open carry and restrict the blade length of knives.  One needed a permit to concealed carry before SB 656. 

Edited by deadeye111
Clarification
  • Like 1

From the NY Times piece NextExit posted:

"It strips local law enforcement of its current authority to deny firearms to those guilty of domestic violence and to other high-risk individuals."

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but how often do "those guilty of domestic violence and to other high-risk individuals" seek to legally obtain a firearm? The editorial board at the NY Times are idiots. But I'm going to guess everyone reading this already is of that opinion. I just like stating the obvious occasionally. Oh, and good job and congrats to the good, law-abiding citizens of Missouri.

On 9/17/2016 at 3:06 PM, NextExit said:

Eff the New York Times.  In fact, eff the entirety of New York City while I am at it.  I have only spent a short time in that place and honestly would just as soon never set foot in New York City - or, hell, even New York State for that matter - ever again.  Double that for New Jersey.

On 9/16/2016 at 9:10 AM, JAB said:

When I was a LEO there in the early 90's it was indeed legal to open carry there: however, some places like Kansas City had a law prohibiting it from being loaded IIRC.

1 hour ago, shotgunshooter said:

I'm glad this happened. Still waiting on Tennessee to do this but I'll keep waiting. 

That was the reason I was wondering if MO allowed open carry without a permit before the new law allowing concealed without a permit.  If Tennessee ever gets to the point of concealed carry without a permit I believe it would only be after open carry without a permit had been legal for some time.  Honestly, I don't think either of those will happen - not so much because of safety concerns but because of revenue concerns.  The state legislature isn't going to vote away all those application fees, renewal fees, etc.  In other words I don't expect either - and especially not concealed without a permit - any time soon.  Probably not until at least after the next time I renew my permit at which time I plan to do the $200 fee and obtain a lifetime carry permit, anyhow - assuming that is still an option by then.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1
That was the reason I was wondering if MO allowed open carry without a permit before the new law allowing concealed without a permit.  If Tennessee ever gets to the point of concealed carry without a permit I believe it would only be after open carry without a permit had been legal for some time.  Honestly, I don't think either of those will happen - not so much because of safety concerns but because of revenue concerns.  The state legislature isn't going to vote away all those application fees, renewal fees, etc.  In other words I don't expect either - and especially not concealed without a permit - any time soon.  Probably not until at least after the next time I renew my permit at which time I plan to do the $200 fee and obtain a lifetime carry permit, anyhow - assuming that is still an option by then.

I mean I doubt it changes in the next year so I'll get my permit anyways but I'm still not gonna enjoy paying for the government to recognize a right. If it's what I have to do I'll do it but I'll complain about it all I want.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, shotgunshooter said:

I mean I doubt it changes in the next year so I'll get my permit anyways but I'm still not gonna enjoy paying for the government to recognize a right. If it's what I have to do I'll do it but I'll complain about it all I want.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Oh, I don't like it, either and don't blame you for complaining.  I'm just saying I wouldn't expect changes any time soon.